• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Socio-Economic Standards

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Are the less experienced and marginalized more likely to be carnal and materialistic? vs those who have more disposable wealth?

More apt to follow blind authority out of desperation, or ignorance?

might children of the wealthy even fall under these criteria given their lack of financial independence and limited experience?

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

To me, "materialistic" is a luxury of those well off. Those without aren't being "carnal", they are craving the most vital survival events as portrayed by Maslow's hierarchy.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Are the less experienced and marginalized more likely to be carnal and materialistic? vs those who have more disposable wealth?

might children of the wealthy even fall under these criteria given their lack of financial independence and limited experience?

My observation is that those who come from wealthy socio-economic backgrounds tend to be more carnal and materialistic, although there may be some cultural trickle-down effect as class envy is promoted by giving common people a window into the "lifestyles of the rich and famous." Through various media, the lower classes are shown a taste of what they're missing in life - so they may try to emulate that to some degree. There was once a time when the upper classes had to put forth a certain "image" of wholesome family values and such - but that's no longer the case (or treated more with a nod and a wink).

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
To me, "materialistic" is a luxury of those well off. Those without aren't being "carnal", they are craving the most vital survival events as portrayed by Maslow's hierarchy.

i don't think being carnal as necessarily a bad thing; especially when I'm having a bowel movement, or need sustenance. for me its more of a balance and a negative balance in material things would, of course, necessitate a need in those areas of having a healthy body.

and I agree with all the other aspects of your thought.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I would wager that if such a correlation exists, either scientists in the field sociology or psychology have studied it and put a number to it. I would fully defer to their findings.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I think a lot has to do with genetics. At birth a lot of a person's personality traits are already formed.

There's paternal genetics, maternal genetics and genetic drift. As well as nurture factors. Maybe someday science will straighten some of it out, but currently trying to figure out the causes of human behavior seems like a crap shoot to me.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If anything, you have it backwards. It's not the poor who purchase expensive jewelry, high-end sports cars, designer clothes, and throw extravagant, debauched, coke fueled parties.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist

That is a fair assessment.

However one must also realize that society goes through cycles
of fairness and opportunity, followed by narcissism corruption and warfare.
After the dust settles, then people vow to improve the lot of others
'lest it happen again'.

And then it happens again.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That is a fair assessment.

However one must also realize that society goes through cycles
of fairness and opportunity, followed by narcissism corruption and warfare.
After the dust settles, then people vow to improve the lot of others
'lest it happen again'.

And then it happens again.

interesting, that would be the whole rise and fall of cultures, countries, civilizations, et al..........