• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Socially Acceptable Damage

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Trigger Warning: Contains Graphic Mention of Self Harm

Somewhere in my teen aged years, I learned to cut.

Not paper, but my own skin. I really don't remember how it started, but, there it was.

It wasn't that I wanted to do serious harm. On the contrary, it calmed me down at a time that I was deeply depressed and so anxious that it impeded my ability to form friendships. And it wasn't just random hashing up... I'd do designs, phrases, small pictures...

But I had to keep it to myself. It was generally frowned upon. Greatly. I had maybe one or two friends that were okay to tell(and one with the same habit). Presenting my 'work' was usually met with harsh admonishments and instruction to "get help". I had one absolutely gorgeous design; the patterns covered from my ankle to my knee(both front and back of leg). I was so proud of it... but couldn't display it(though it really was not much different than a tattoo). I took a risk and showed my then boyfriend... "You did that?" he said. I cringed, nodded, and waited for the lecture. "That's beautiful." Not what I was expecting, and one of my more dear memories...

The next guy wasn't so accepting. He'd ream me out here to next Sunday if he found so much as a scratch on me(which was a problem, because I didn't always do it). I took to cutting the bottoms of my feet. The designs stopped, just 'quick lines', to make it seem innocent. Stress built up. He was hard to live with, and a mean drunk. I'd panic any time he cracked a bottle. He tried to be sympathetic about it, but really didn't understand how his drinking could upset anyone. (People always say mean things when they're drunk, he thought. You just ignore them and move on, in his mind.) One night, he asked if I'd be okay if he had a beer. I said sure. I'll take your Jager, then.

Up to that point, I'd never drank a drop. He was surprised, asked if I was sure, and I confirmed. So I had my first drink; straight Jager. I sat, sipped, watched Spongebob. And I did feel better. So, I switched from cutting to drinking. I drank a lot.

I was the world's most boring drunk. I didn't do anything exciting. I merely managed stress levels. I averaged 5 a night, but no one could tell I'd had a thing(gin and flavored water was my thing). I'd hear people express they were glad I'd stopped the other habit, which absolutely baffled me. "But this is worse, isn't it? This is really bad for me. The scars were only skin deep, and they healed." I'd get a bunch of half reasons on why this was preferable, but I'll be honest, none made sense to me.

It just seemed drinking, though much, much worse for me, was okay, because other people said it was okay. Cutting was not, because it made other people uncomfortable.

I don't drink heavily or cut anymore. But I still am confused about the responses I received during that time.

Why do you feel society is okay with one, but frowns on the other?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I am not sure that society is "okay" with premeditative self harm, nor do I think it should be. Cutting is more alien to most people, and we tend to be uncomfortable with the alien.
I don't necessarily think it should be okay, either. (Where the line is fuzzy for me is when certain methods of tattooing or scarification come up as part of a person's religion or culture.)

Yes, it probably is a question of what is 'alien'.

The laid back response to alcohol baffles me a bit, still, though. Its not that I feel drinking is terrible outright. Its just we(society) tend to look over it as not a big deal, unless the person is disruptive.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't drink heavily or cut anymore. But I still am confused about the responses I received during that time.

Why do you feel society is okay with one, but frowns on the other?

I don't know about society. but my former massage therapist told me over the years about her daughter who cut herself for quite some time. That daughter wound up marrying a drug user, using drugs herself, having her husband die due to an accident caused by drugs and then having her children taken away from her because of her drug use. My massage therapist is retired so I have no idea what happened to her daughter after that, but the story unfolded over a number of years led me to believe that cutting is a symptom of a deep rooted psychological issue that is not being addressed.

That was reinforced by the book "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" where the protagonist practiced self harm by burning her arms with cigarettes. And where the therapist told the story

“I once had a patient who used to practice the most horrible tortures on himself, and when I asked him why he did such things, he said, 'Why, before the world does them.' I asked him then, 'Why not wait and see what the world will do?' and he said, 'Don't you see? It always come at last, but this way at least I am master of my own destruction.”

And at one point in the book She did not lose the chill feeling of detachment before the doom and for a while she even posed a little in drama of that doom, making a high art of dying beautifully. ”

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The laid back response to alcohol baffles me a bit, still, though. Its not that I feel drinking is terrible outright. Its just we(society) tend to look over it as not a big deal, unless the person is disruptive.
If I see you sitting at a table with a double bourbon, it seems reasonable to assume that you're a social drinker.
If I see you sitting at a table cutting your arm, it seems reasonable to assume that your intent is self harm.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know about society. but my former massage therapist told me over the years about her daughter who cut herself for quite some time. That daughter wound up marrying a drug user, using drugs herself, having her husband die due to an accident caused by drugs and then having her children taken away from her because of her drug use. My massage therapist is retired so I have no idea what happened to her daughter after that, but the story unfolded over a number of years led me to believe that cutting is a symptom of a deep rooted psychological issue that is not being addressed.

That was reinforced by the book "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" where the protagonist practiced self harm by burning her arms with cigarettes. And where the therapist told the story

“I once had a patient who used to practice the most horrible tortures on himself, and when I asked him why he did such things, he said, 'Why, before the world does them.' I asked him then, 'Why not wait and see what the world will do?' and he said, 'Don't you see? It always come at last, but this way at least I am master of my own destruction.”

And at one point in the book She did not lose the chill feeling of detachment before the doom and for a while she even posed a little in drama of that doom, making a high art of dying beautifully. ”
Sounds like an interesting book.

I think in my case, both the cutting and drinking were ways to manage the unmanageable anxiety. (Hence, why I no longer feel the need for either, as that terrible beast is gone now.)
If I see you sitting at a table with a double bourbon, it seems reasonable to assume that you're a social drinker.
If I see you sitting at a table cutting your arm, it seems reasonable to assume that your intent is self harm.
I see your point on the second one.

However, if every time you saw me at the table I had double bourbon, would you begin to see it as a problem?

I have a lot of peaceful family members that have had that double bourbon as long as I remember... Why few find it a problem escapes me.
Tax revenue? (Not sure how glib that is..... tobacco used to be "ok" .....)
Yeah, tobacco did.

Do you see society ever poo-pooing alcohol use?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Do you see society ever poo-pooing alcohol use?
I think in the UK younger people are drinking less or not at all. Certainly the popularity of AF drinks is sky-rocketing (random recent example - a major supermarket chain has halved its alcoholic wine section in order to double the space for AF wines).

Alcohol consumption frequency by age group in the UK 2020 | Statista

The UK has "Dry January" which seems growing in popularity.

Alcohol Change UK: Alcohol harms. Time for change. | Alcohol Change UK

Against this...

Society... being what? Poo-pooing is up against:
1. Culturally ingrained.
2. Tax revenue.
3. Addictive.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I think in the UK younger people are drinking less or not at all. Certainly the popularity of AF drinks is sky-rocketing (random recent example - a major supermarket chain has halved its alcoholic wine section in order to double the space for AF wines).

Alcohol consumption frequency by age group in the UK 2020 | Statista

The UK has "Dry January" which seems growing in popularity.

Alcohol Change UK: Alcohol harms. Time for change. | Alcohol Change UK

Against this...

Society... being what? Poo-pooing is up against:
1. Culturally ingrained.
2. Tax revenue.
3. Addictive.
That's optimistic. I don't see the same happening here, but it could be escaping me. (I'm kinda stuck under a rock.)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That's optimistic. I don't see the same happening here, but it could be escaping me. (I'm kinda stuck under a rock.)
Yeah I'm sure every country is different. I'm on an AF FB (!) group and it certainly seems the UK is ahead of the US but it is a growing market there too I believe.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
However, if every time you saw me at the table I had double bourbon, would you begin to see it as a problem?
Given what I expect is the intent of your question, yes. If anything, I would be more concerned since alcohol abuse is often an existential threat to those encountered by the abuser.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Drinking doesn't appear to cause immediate damage.
Cutting causes bleeding, which is very apparent & off putting.
Bleeding is alarming, but I never met a person who did it out in the open. Tended to be a 'private' activity.

And, it depends who you're drinking with... met some pretty feisty drunks.
Given what I expect is the intent of your question, yes. If anything, I would be more concerned since alcohol abuse is often an existential threat to those encountered by the abuser.
Yeah, sometimes.

I have a few older family members who are nice as can be(drunk or sober), but as they age, I feel sad at the fact the drink is still in their hands.