• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So you think you're a Taoist

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I mean no offense to anyone who is Buddhist, I for a time thought I might be. But I have been a poster on a site dedicated to Zen Buddhism and they are very nice people, but as soon as I stated I believe I am much closer to a Philosophical Taoist than a Buddhist some wished me luck and others started on the Buddhist lecture circuit

Don't worry about that!

I like what the Dalai Lama says - we almost need 6 billion different religions because each individual has a different personality & disposition.

All the best!

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Thank you, I'm not worried about it, it just got to me at the moment, because all of a sudden I got several lectures at once. But I thought of the above quote, smiled to myself and logged off.

Wu Wei

Well the votes are in

Been in martial arts for 40 years, Chinese martial arts for over 20 years (Mainly Taijiquan and Neijia arts), I think I read my first Taoist text (the Tao Te Ching) over 25 years ago and I knew then that it felt a whole lot better and made more since to me that anything else. However my family’s religious history told me I could not begin to even consider Taoism beyond reading about it.

I have searched multiple religions and philosophies over the years and even tried real hard to follow Buddhism; Zen, Tibetan, Tendai… but none seemed to quite fit

Finally told myself…OK its Philosophical Taoism.... and things just seemed to relax… I seem to be taking a lot more in stride and getting a lot less angry

Wu Wei

Now reading 3 books...

1. 365 Tao: Daily Meditations
  2. Being Taoist: Wisdom for Living a Balanced Life
  3. Simple Taoism

chevron1

>>However my family’s religious history told me I could not begin to even consider Taoism beyond reading about it.

In many parts of Asia, Taoism is a framework religion. Traditionally, it is polytheistic. In the modern world, Taoists may add the Chrisitan God and the Buddha and the Taoist deities to their personal altars. Below is a picture of such an altar in the Phillippines. Note the crucifix against the back wall and the Buddha up front. In classical Taoism, the gods are children of Tao. Each of them presides over a realm. All things return to Tao.

chinoy_altar.jpg