• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So Much For Canadian Politeness - Ann Coulter Was Shut Out in Ottawa

MSizer

MSizer
Apparently she's on a road trip through Canada, and at the University of Western Ontario she made some joke about middle Easterners taking a camel to travel if the west had boycotted middle eastern airlines after 9/11 (as she recommended) directly to a student of middle eastern descent. Subsequently in Ottawa, a protest outside the University of Ottawa led her security people to call off her talk there.

Now, let me make this very clear. I think Ann Coulter is a bumbling baffoon, and no less.

However, I don't think speech should be repressed, and I'm disappointed about what happened in Ottawa last night.

Yes? No?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I figure the kids had a right to impose their community standards on the obscenity that is Ann Coulter.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The protesters took the stance that it wasn't an issue of free speech, but of hate speech.

I have no opinion on it, one way or the other.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
She's a spiteful, ignorant fool who has no place being paid to speak in the first place. That being said, Canadians, as a population, are no different than any other population when it comes to opposing the expression of things they find objectionable.

MSizer

MSizer
She's a spiteful, ignorant fool who has no place being paid to speak in the first place. That being said, Canadians, as a population, are no different than any other population when it comes to opposing the expression of things they find objectionable.

If you're referring to the "politeness" of Canadians, don't even get me started. I don't know how in the hell that myth got started, but nothing irks me more than hearing someone say "well, he's canadian, so he's proabably very nice". I find it extremely embarassing that my fellow comrads have this opinion about us as a whole, basically implying that 35 million people just happen to be above average on the "niceness" scale. Gimme a break.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If you're referring to the "politeness" of Canadians, don't even get me started. I don't know how in the hell that myth got started, but nothing irks me more than hearing someone say "well, he's canadian, so he's proabably very nice". I find it extremely embarassing that my fellow comrads have this opinion about us as a whole, basically implying that 35 million people just happen to be above average on the "niceness" scale. Gimme a break.

Such modesty is rather nice of you. :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
..., I don't think speech should be repressed, and I'm disappointed about what happened in Ottawa last night.

The best part about this is that she's filing a complaint with the HRC. Cognitive dissonance much?
You've got to be kidding me????? She can't possibly be that friggin dumb.
Out of curiosity, just what do you find "friggin dumb? ...
  • ... that she would feel the suppression of free speech warranted a formal complaint?
  • ... that she would view the HRC as a credible organization with which such a complain might be lodged?
  • ... that she could believe that the HRC would handle such a complaint unprejudiced by its source?
... or was this just some mindless ejaculation to express contempt for Coulter?

KatNotKathy

"I'm sure the Human Rights Commission will get to the bottom of it," Ms. Coulter said to loud cheers from the 800-strong audience. "I think I'm the victim of a hate crime here. Either what [Mr. Houle] did was a hate crime, or the whole commission is B.S."

In Mr. Houle's email, a copy of which was obtained by the National Post, the administrator urges Ms. Coulter to weigh her words with "respect and civility in mind" when she speaks at the University of Ottawa campus on Tuesday.

I'm the victim of a hate crime, Ann Coulter tells Canadian audience

Alceste

Vagabond
What baffles me is why a Canadian University would invite her to speak. She's hardly the height of American intellectualism. Chomsky was booked already, or what?

Anyway, the students had a right to exercise their freedom of expression, including expressing the desire for Anne Coulter to feck off back to the hole she crawled out of. A crowd of Canadian students protesting her extreme offensiveness is not a violation of her human rights. It is a direct, foreseeable consequence of her own choice to be as offensive as possible in Canada.

When a child gets sent to his room for mindlessly shouting profanities at his siblings, it's a consequence, not a suppression of his freedom of speech.

Besides, we don't even have constitutionally guaranteed freedom of speech in Canada. That's what keeps us so polite. ;)

Draka

Wonder Woman
If her security decided it was best for her not to speak, it was her that called it off, not the Campus. She had a choice. She may have been adviced as to watching her mouth, but she still could have showed up and said what she wanted despite any "advice". No one stopped her from showing up and going ahead with her plans. the kids had as much right to protest her as she had to say the garbage she says. It's freedom of speech both ways. There was no "hate crime" unless she was actually physically prevented from speaking.

Baydwin

If her security decided it was best for her not to speak, it was her that called it off, not the Campus. She had a choice. She may have been adviced as to watching her mouth, but she still could have showed up and said what she wanted despite any "advice". No one stopped her from showing up and going ahead with her plans. the kids had as much right to protest her as she had to say the garbage she says. It's freedom of speech both ways. There was no "hate crime" unless she was actually physically prevented from speaking.
Beat me to it.

I couldn't see the suppression of free speech anywhere in the OP.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Mr. Houle's email, a copy of which was obtained by the National Post, the administrator urges Ms. Coulter to weigh her words with "respect and civility in mind" when she speaks at the University of Ottawa campus on Tuesday.
"Our domestic laws, both provincial and federal, delineate freedom of expression [or ‘free speech'] in a manner that is somewhat different than the approach taken in the United States. I therefore encourage you to educate yourself, if need be, as to what is acceptable in Canada and to do so before your planned visit here."
Mr. Houle goes on to say: "Promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges

I hardly see how this makes her a victim of anything let alone a hate crime.She wasnt banned from speaking she was warned Im sure because of her reputation that she wasnt going to get away with bashing any particular group so to watch her mouth.Sounds like she is the one that opted not to show once she found out she wouldnt be allowed to incite some sort of a riot with hate speach and if she didnt follow the rules there "could' be consequences.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Based on her record, I would say the warning was warranted...

"If only we could get Muslims to boycott all airlines, we could dispense with airport security altogether." She also said Muslims could use "flying carpets" to travel instead. When a Muslim female student called Coulter on that comment during one of her college speeches, she told the student "to take a camel."
http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...tics/94980-ann-coulters-hateful-rhetoric.html

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Based on her record, I would say the warning was warranted...

"If only we could get Muslims to boycott all airlines, we could dispense with airport security altogether." She also said Muslims could use "flying carpets" to travel instead. When a Muslim female student called Coulter on that comment during one of her college speeches, she told the student "to take a camel."
http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...tics/94980-ann-coulters-hateful-rhetoric.html

Yeah I watched the video..It was a Q and A session before her speaches.I believe it was after this response to a 17 year old Muslim student asking her since she didnt have a magic carpet what mode of transportation would Ann coulter suggest she use and finally after trying to avoid answering the crowd started shouting you didnt answer her question and she said ..I dont know ..take a camel I guess...that students protested her speaking.

Love

Dallas