• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So its out then!

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
So it's out then!

Well, we've done it. Defying all of my expectations. Firstly, I want to get some things out of the way. Though I was wrong about the result I think the Vote Leave campaign was dismal. I believe it is responsible for this being a slim victory and not a landslide. Those ideas put forth by the leave camp have been wholly disgusting and factually incorrect. I do want to leave the EU but I do not seek the Britain as envisaged by the Tory right, the Labour left or Ukip. Thankfully, reality stands in the way of that.

As campaigner and contributing editor at The Leave Alliance, you should know this. The official Leave campaign was one widely opposed and we never wanted the likes of Boris Johnson or Farage. These are not informed men and they have no idea what they are talking about. Our ethos at TLA was to make a liberal case for leaving the EU, seeking not to dodge the political realities.

To that end, we produced a comprehensive Brexit plan which is rumoured to be required reading in the civil service. We make the case that leaving the EU in a single bound is impossible as it is damaging both to the EU and the UK. And so our recommended path is similar to that of Norway whereby we retain single market membership and freedom of movement.

The funding for the official Vote Leave campaign dries up today and that malign entity will be dismantled. What Ukip says will no longer be relevant. This is now a decision for the adults.

The majority of MPs are opposed to leaving the EU and so they absolutely will not support any moves to leave the EEA as well and so there are democratic safeguards in place to ensure extreme measures are not taken.

We are meeting on Tuesday to discuss future direction. The proposal will be to continue making the case for Flexcit and for Efta membership under the banner of TLA. It sees us as close allies of the EU but not subordinate to it, which I believe is best for the UK. It retains most of the advantages of the EU without requiring a political merger and gives us control of key policy. I think it is the right move.

This is not about hostility to Europeans or Europe. This is hostility to our political class who continued to commit us to further subordination without public consent. One way or another, Britain will remain a liberal and tolerant nation. We are simply choosing a different mode for our relations with Europe.

The EU is based on a dogmatic principle of supranationalism. We are departing from that to a more multilateral mode both in Efta and the WTO. This is not the end of the world and I can assure you Ukip and the likes will not get their way. We know this because they only scored 14% at the general election. There are more of us than there are of them.

As a committed leaver for all of my adult life I detest Ukip and what they stand for. And so do our thousands of supporters. I believe this is the right move because the question is now resolved, we can reboot British politics, redesign British governance and move on from a 40 year quarrel. Politics will be far healthier for it at the end of this process.

In the meantime, nothing happens immediately, there is no need for alarm. Brexit is a process, not an event and we will see in due course that the propaganda spouted by the remain campaign was a gross distortion of the facts.

Though if you wish to guarantee Britain remains a liberal and tolerant country, it will require of you that you maintain current levels of political particpation and speak up for what you believe in. We have been disengaged for far too long which is why we are even here in the first place.

Dr. North at http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86116

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
But that £4bn has gone with this morning's market crash

You'd make a terrible financial analyst! Give the market time to readjust to the shock, its what they do--crash and crack.

Once the announcement comes within the next 2 years that Britain will apply for membership of EFTA, Sterling will rise after a stabilisation period.

So the contribution savings will add up over the deacdes to multiples of what financial damage this crash has caused.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I work in construction, two schemes are being put on hold already. Our MD has issued a 'don't panic, it's too hard to judge the effect' e-mail to all staff.
He is concerned about our client's cash flow and urges that we chase all invoices with increased vigour.

But I'm not worried because Boris and Nige say we've made the correct decision.

Good to see you are still firing out the insults. Give it a rest, you got your wish.

Flankerl

and for Efta membership

Well enjoy your EU regulations and Freedom of movement for EU citizens in the UK.

:)

Though only if Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein want you.

Oh and if the EU wants. Spain is particularly pissed right now. No idea why. Has probably to do with the economic mayhem you caused today. Ah well.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I work in construction, two schemes are being put on hold already. Our MD has issued a 'don't panic, it's too hard to judge the effect' e-mail to all staff.
He is concerned about our client's cash flow and urges that we chase all invoices with increased vigour.

I think the stock market will eventually recover, the real problem is going to be reduced investment due to years of uncertainty, particularly given the possibility of Scotland going independent.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hopefully the EU overlords do not decide to teach Great Brittain a thing or two for daring to doubt the wisdom of their visionary leadership. Who knows, now other EU members may decide to hold their own referendums to stay or leave.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Let's be honest, I've said this all along. We haven't a clue what is going to happen.
Unfortunately this uncertainty spooks the markets and investors. So almost certainly there is going to be a decline in spending; this may well pick up but how speedily is anyone's guess. Hopefully it is very soon.

On a separate note I think that if the new PM and his ministers don't show significant change soon there could be a backlash against them. By significant change I mean immigrants and the £350m/week (or whatever the figure is they have now admitted to) - I think the vote LEAVE people are expecting immigration to level off and then decrease year on year. They will also expect to see the additional monies that we no longer send to Brussels spent on hospitals, schools, infrastructure, etc.

The downside of this is that Labour are in no fit state to take advantage of this.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Let's I think the vote LEAVE people are expecting immigration to level off and then decrease year on year. They will also expect to see the additional monies that we no longer send to Brussels spent on hospitals, schools, infrastructure, etc.

All that is going to happen years down the line, if at all. If the Tories stay in power they will probably just keep applying austerity to get the deficit down, I very much doubt public services would benefit.
As for Labour, well, it depends on who replaces Corbyn.

Flankerl

Hopefully the EU overlords do not decide to teach Great Brittain a thing or two for daring to doubt the wisdom of their visionary leadership. Who knows, now other EU members may decide to hold their own referendums to stay or leave.

That's actually why they have to teach them a thing or two. If it becomes clear that you can leech off the EU by being a gian phallus and the EU just bends over then more might do the same.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That's actually why they have to teach them a thing or two. If it becomes clear that you can leech off the EU by being a gian phallus and the EU just bends over then more might do the same.
If other EU countries see the UK as leaching off their political/economic nirvana-like system then perhaps that is a good reason for the UK and others to leave. I'm sort of looking forward to seeing the EU crash and burn. Fun times.

Jumi

Finnish prime minister commented that he would never allow Fixit, a referendum like the Brexit. And that's exactly why EU is so unpopular. It would probably end with the same result as Brexit.

Flankerl

If other EU countries see the UK as leaching off their political/economic nirvana-like system then perhaps that is a good reason for the UK and others to leave. I'm sort of looking forward to seeing the EU crash and burn. Fun times.

Which would then result in a smaller new-EU, you realise that? One that mostly consists of Germany and its surrounding countries, Baltic States etc.

Which is pretty much the nightmare of England and the reason the UK joined in the first place.

Oh well not my problem.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Which would then result in a smaller new-EU, you realise that? One that mostly consists of Germany and its surrounding countries, Baltic States etc.

Which is pretty much the nightmare of England and the reason the UK joined in the first place.

Oh well not my problem.
I like you too much and enjoy your posts to argue the point any further @Flankerl