• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I just started reading The God Delusion..

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
A lot of the same Atheistic thinking but with a few new twists. Although I do find Dawkins interesting, I do not agree with him. I admire his intelligence, you can disagree with someone but still admire and respect him.....I think he is pretty cool myself. ;) But of course RF has a few atheists who are just as intelligent and have the capability of writing just as well, but then I'm prejudice when it comes to atheism....:biglaugh: Prejudice in the way that I like the ones on RF...;)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I like that. I'll try, but I already have a disliking of Dawkins so reading some of this is making me cringe. I'll keep an open mind though.
I don't think you should expect anything more than a stimulating read. Love him or hate him, Dawkins makes some very valid points that are not easily dismissed. I found myself laughing out loud at some points he raises in the book. Personally, it remains on my "Highly recommended" list.

But of course RF has a few atheists who are just as intelligent and have the capability of writing just as well, but then I'm prejudice when it comes to atheism.... Prejudice in the way that I like the ones on RF...;)
For the record, I don't think any atheists on RF even approach his quality of writing, nor are they likely as intelligent. It would seem that pandering to religious sensitivities goes a long way in some quarters. :flirt:

Last edited:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I don't think you should expect anything more than a stimulating read. Love him or hate him, Dawkins makes some very valid points that are not easily dismissed. I found myself laughing out loud at some points he raises in the book. Personally, it remains on my "Highly recommended" list.

For the record, I don't think any atheists on RF even approach his quality of writing, nor are they likely as intelligent. It would seem that pandering to religious sensitivities goes a long way in some quarters. :flirt:
Take the time to really read some of the posts written by some of the people on this forum and I would say that there are several who would measure up to Dawkins anytime. Some of these people write other things besides on this forum and it is very enlightneing to read the things they write.
By the way the reference to religious sensitivities and the "flirt" has not got a thing to do with this....My remark was totally out of respect I have for several people on this forum. It is called respect and admiration for people that I admire. When someone says something out of intelligence I don't care what religion, lack of religion or their ethnic origin is I admire them.....

Last edited:

crystalonyx

Take the time to really read some of the posts written by some of the people on this forum and I would say that there are several who would measure up to Dawkins anytime. .....

Who, for example? I am almost thru reading Dawkin's "The Ancestor's Tale". This is such an immense, thorough work, only a very few evolutionists are even capable of writing it.

Gonna take on Gould's "The Structure of Evolutionary Theory" next, very lengthy.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Take the time to really read some of the posts written by some of the people on this forum and I would say that there are several who would measure up to Dawkins anytime.
I posit that such is not the case. You are welcome to sue me, Sweet Charity.

Some of these people write other things besides on this forum and it is very enlightneing to read the things they write.
I cannot say that I read much that could be considered as enlightening on RF, although there are times when posters manage to keep my interest far longer than their thinking warrants.

By the way the reference to religious sensitivities and the "flirt" has not got a thing to do with this....My remark was totally out of respect I have for several people on this forum. It is called respect and admiration for people that I admire. When someone says something out of intelligence I don't care what religion, lack of religion or their ethnic origin is I admire them.....
Thoust createth a proverbial teapot tempest over little worthy of note, methinks.

Naturalist_Atheist

Uh.... Pootie Tang.
I wouldn't expect much from the book. Not going into it as you are anyway. You already don't care for the guy, without even reading a word I presume. But I have to say I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a great read and it gave good incite into the general atheistic viewpoint. He doesn't pull his punches while dealing with religion either. Another aspect of Dawkins that I admire.

I would love to hear what theists who read the book had to say.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I posit that such is not the case. You are welcome to sue me, Sweet Charity.

I cannot say that I read much that could be considered as enlightening on RF, although there are times when posters manage to keep my interest far longer than their thinking warrants.

Thoust createth a proverbial teapot tempest over little worthy of note, methinks.
I'll pass on the sue issue, I could care less:p I said some of the people posting here write elsewhere besides a religious format. That is what I am judging their capabilities on. Even though they show great intellectual qualities here.
Me thinks also that you should realize that it is good when a believer respects and is not bigoted or judgmental to someone who believes differently.
:slap: Now don't go judging my motives because I am not a narrow minded bigot, and choose to enjoy the company and conversation with everyone on the forum.....My Heavens I even like you.......;)

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I wouldn't expect much from the book. Not going into it as you are anyway. You already don't care for the guy, without even reading a word I presume. But I have to say I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a great read and it gave good incite into the general atheistic viewpoint. He doesn't pull his punches while dealing with religion either. Another aspect of Dawkins that I admire.

I would love to hear what theists who read the book had to say.
As a Christian naturally I don't agree with everything Dawkins says, but I do think that he is brilliant. I even read another book by him...Is that a good review or not? ;)

Pah

Uber all member
I'm afraid there is nothing new in The God Delusion nor in Harris's books. That same arguments have been around for centuries, The difference is that they are said in different ways. In reading Dawkins I recognize the same arguments I use or understand. Dawkins however writes in a nicer modern style. He says it differently and so much better. Intelligent design was dismissed by Hume to name just one. He was a fore runner to the Blind Watchmaker and, surprisingly, Darwin. James demolishes, with logic, the thought that morality comes from God. Sam Harris has the same thoughts as Russell but Russell does not seem to have the edge Harris does. Mark Twain even took God to task in many of his, unpublished during his life, essays though some were given in speeches. The God Delusion is a good read none-the-less.

I highly recommend The Portable Athist, editted by Christopher Hitchens for a more complete scope of who said what, when.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoojah

What should I expect?

you will get a scientific arrogant opinion of things.
test both sides of the debate before falling on one side or better still as I do i believe science and creation can easily go hand in hand God created all so anything science finds was put there to be found.. so whatever Dawkins says.. take with a pinch of salt. also why i am speaking of Dawkins read the book by his friend called the God dissolution..

hoojah

Who, for example? I am almost thru reading Dawkin's "The Ancestor's Tale". This is such an immense, thorough work, only a very few evolutionists are even capable of writing it.

Gonna take on Gould's "The Structure of Evolutionary Theory" next, very lengthy.

most religions yes but the Bible is based on fact. Jesus was a true living person . his resurrection has never been disproved. and the history in the bible is backed up like no other book on earth.

rojse

RF Addict
most religions yes but the Bible is based on fact. Jesus was a true living person . his resurrection has never been disproved. and the history in the bible is backed up like no other book on earth.

This is a thread about the book "The God Delusion", not a thread for trying to convince people about the accuracy of the Bible.

kai

ragamuffin
I'm afraid there is nothing new in The God Delusion nor in Harris's books. That same arguments have been around for centuries,
The difference is that they are said in different ways. In reading Dawkins I recognize the same arguments I use or understand. Dawkins however writes in a nicer modern style. He says it differently and so much better. Intelligent design was dismissed by Hume to name just one. He was a fore runner to the Blind Watchmaker and, surprisingly, Darwin. James demolishes, with logic, the thought that morality comes from God. Sam Harris has the same thoughts as Russell but Russell does not seem to have the edge Harris does. Mark Twain even took God to task in many of his, unpublished during his life, essays though some were given in speeches. The God Delusion is a good read none-the-less.

I highly recommend The Portable Athist, editted by Christopher Hitchens for a more complete scope of who said what, when.

the difference is ,now you dont get burnt at the stake for it, well not in England anyway.

logician

Please provide solid proof of his ressurection, or that Jesus even existed. Then we'll take you seriously.