• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slightly Confused...

Jonesie32

Okey Dokey,

I have no idea what denomination I am, is it possible to just be considered Protestant? I asked a pastor of mine at church what form of Christianity we are and after avoiding the question for months, he just said Protestant. I already knew that! :rolleyes:

I don't know, I guess I just feel "generic" about my faith sometimes. :help:

Somkid

Umm.. a Protestant is a Christian that is not Catholic so if your not Catholic I'm gonna go with you being a Protestant.

kai

ragamuffin
take the bull by the horns and go out and find out just what exactly it is you are supposed to be believing in , ask around, look it up on google , start with the name of your church whats it called?

A

angellous_evangellous

Okey Dokey,

I have no idea what denomination I am, is it possible to just be considered Protestant? I asked a pastor of mine at church what form of Christianity we are and after avoiding the question for months, he just said Protestant. I already knew that! :rolleyes:

I don't know, I guess I just feel "generic" about my faith sometimes. :help:

It should be wasy to find out the denomenation your church belongs to. It's in most names of the church (Baptist, United Methodist, etc).

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
It's perfectly fine to not be affiliated with a denomination. And in fact, we have a whole forum here dedicated to Non-denominational Protestants. :cool:

kai

ragamuffin
It's perfectly fine to not be affiliated with a denomination. And in fact, we have a whole forum here dedicated to Non-denominational Protestants. :cool:
non denominational protestants how does that work? is there one for non denominational catholics?

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
non denominational protestants how does that work? is there one for non denominational catholics?
Go one level up from here, and you'll see the Non-Denominational Forum. Though it doesn't say so explicitly, that's for Protestants who aren't part of a denomination. Catholics don't even have denominations, so all Catholics are non-denominational Catholics, who would of course use the Catholic Forum. Catholics do have factions though; just not denominations.

Neither Catholics nor Eastern Orthodox call their churches denominations. They just call it "the Church", and may be insulted if you call it a denomination. We Protestants tend to think that's rather presumptous or arrogant of them. I'm not saying I feel that way; just that that's a typical Protestant view.

:angel2:

kai

ragamuffin
how about these Catholics
slightly confused is an understatement , there are so many christian sects its unbelievable(pardon the pun)

wiki Catholic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
Like I said, they have factions, but they don't call them denominations.

I would agree with the Lutheran and Anglican view of being both Protestant and "small-c" catholic (meaning the universal church). But catholic and Catholic are two different things.

Te Deum

Roman Catholic Seminarian

Do you really believe that Jesus did not found a Church? Do you think He desires to have 15,000 different groups all with conflicting Theology? I suggest you find the Church that has the historical roots to trace itself back to the time of Jesus.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
Do you really believe that Jesus did not found a Church? Do you think He desires to have 15,000 different groups all with conflicting Theology? I suggest you find the Church that has the historical roots to trace itself back to the time of Jesus.
I was not arguing for Prostestantism vs. Catholicism, but rather attempting as neutral an explanation as possible. Apparently I failed. :sad4:

However, I respectfully submit that Jesus is not especially concerned that our theology be totally correct or uniform. Nor is He very worried that we worship Him in subtly different ways while remaining united on the essentials (those things that nearly all Christians (whether Catholic, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox or other) have agreed on since the beginning of the faith). What matters most is that we follow Him, love Him and love each other.

And that isn't meant as an argument in favor of Protestantism vs. Catholicism either. My point is instead that all those churches together are what comprise the "small-c" catholic (universal) church, and that similarity is far more important than our differences.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
However, I respectfully submit that Jesus is not especially concerned that our theology be totally correct or uniform.
I disagree --respectfully, too, I hope. Take baptism (i.e. water baptism) for instance. If we really should be baptizing our little babies, it would seem to me that it would matter very much to Him that so many people aren't. If, on the other hand, He wants each individual to be able to choose for himself to be baptized, I would think that He's not too happy that so many are making this decision for their children. If it doesn't matter when a person is baptized, but if baptism at some point in a person's life is essential for salvation, I'm quite certain He is concerned about those who never are. It's not my intention to start a debate over which of these beliefs is correct (especially since this is not a debate forum), but simply to point out an example of one of many differences between the doctrines within Christianity that could be of pretty significant importance.

Nor is He very worried that we worship Him in subtly different ways while remaining united on the essentials (those things that nearly all Christians (whether Catholic, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox or other) have agreed on since the beginning of the faith). What matters most is that we follow Him, love Him and love each other.
I believe that all Christians (even those who are not part of "traditional" Christiantity) do accept Him as their Savior and try (at least in theory :) ) to follow Him. I also believe that the most effective way we can show our love for Him is to love one another.

And that isn't meant as an argument in favor of Protestantism vs. Catholicism either. My point is instead that all those churches together are what comprise the "small-c" catholic (universal) church, and that similarity is far more important than our differences.
Good point!

Francine

Do you really believe that Jesus did not found a Church? Do you think He desires to have 15,000 different groups all with conflicting Theology?

Jesus founded a Church alright, but he didn't get all fired up about making sure everyone was in the same denomination:

Luke 9:[49] And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. [50] And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

kai

ragamuffin
Jesus founded a Church alright, but he didn't get all fired up about making sure everyone was in the same denomination:

Luke 9:[49] And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. [50] And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.
i suspect he was speaking about a fellow jew at the time though ,

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Thanks for quoting one of my favorite scriptures! I use this one all the time when people tell me I'm not a Christian.

Francine

i suspect he was speaking about a fellow jew at the time though ,

Jews are a tribe, not a religious order. There are so many varieties of Judaism its not funny. The disciples were specifically talking about a man who practiced the New Way of Jesus, without the courtesy of actually walking around with Jesus like the Twelve did. To Jesus, it was a good sign his teachings were catching on.

kai

ragamuffin
Jews are a tribe, not a religious order. There are so many varieties of Judaism its not funny. The disciples were specifically talking about a man who practiced the New Way of Jesus, without the courtesy of actually walking around with Jesus like the Twelve did. To Jesus, it was a good sign his teachings were catching on.
still a jew no less gentiles didnt enter the story untill after jesus died