• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sky reader

Master Vigil

My spirit guides told me last night of a shaman who could read the skies. Not just the weather, but everything. The future, the past, where the animals were in the forests, where the white men were. Etc... Have any of you heard of this shaman? Or hear anything like that??

Master Vigil

But its not just the stars. It's everything. Almost like the shaman looks at the sky, becomes one with it, and then the sky tells him what he wants to know (and what he doesn't). Does that make any sense?

Lightkeeper

Whether it makes sense or not, I like it. Where is Painted Wolf when we need her. I will check google.

I couldn't find much on the internet. There was talk of reading the clouds, i.e. if you saw an image of a bird in the clouds, it means something in particular.

Master Vigil

Seems more new age than shaman. I've been paying alot more attention to the sky since they told me that. And it changes so much, I bet there could be a way that it could tell things. I can almost feel it. Perhaps someday I will be able to read the skies.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
hello, long time no post... been busy.

I would have to say that this sounds very new-ageish. Sometimes the pattern of the clouds ect set. can have meaning/messages, but I've never heard of someone using the sky exclusively, or as a divination device.

I'll look into it more and let you know if I find anything.

wa:do

Master Vigil

The picture I got in my head when to told me was that of a man walking into a clearing, kneeling, putting a spear to his left, his pipe to his right. Then looking up to the sky, and knowing which way the game is, or which way the white men were, etc... He was in woods so it could be north eastern culture i'm not sure.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
hmm, its not noth east from I can tell, unless it was personal medicine for someone.
The idea of the spear is odd, spears arn't a woodlands weapon, as they are too bulky to be used in the thick woods. Most woodland natives (here on the east coast anyway) used clubs or for long range, bows. Spears are a plains/arctic weapon.

Perhaps instead of showing you a 'genuine native' practice, you were shown something wich was ment to have meaning for you personally.

Master Vigil

Could be, I thought about that. But I haven't figured it out yet. I've been trying to look at the sky more, but I just don't feel like its me. I dunno, I will meditate on it more.

CJW

Once upon a time there was an Indian who learned things from the shaman.

Now, he found himself disagreeing with the shaman about some things. He thought, "This just does not seem right to me. It does not match what I know." So he argued about the totem poles and which animals where in it and the why and how of how things were done in the tribe. Now the shaman became tired of this for he was uninterested in it. All he wantedto do was to say, "Dancing about the fire and having sex with women. This is good. Now smoke peace pipe..."

But the Indian did not listen, instead he went into the wilderness and up a mountain. He went up and up. He came to a cave. He looked down and saw his tribe. He stayed there a long time. It seemed that when he needed food some birds sometimes came and dropped berries.He did not need very much though. He was thinking, thinking through things. Then he found what seemed to have been leading him along all the time. So this is why he disagreed with the shaman! So he went back down and began telling his tribe about the Great Spirit that he found...or did He find him? A few listened, most did not....and eventually the story came to be changed some, lost a little and some believed in another sky god instead.

But at the end of his life this sage actually heard the truth, in his own mind. He had the ears to hear. And he said, "Ah, He is good!"
http://mynym.blogspot.com/

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
what?

wow, what a terrible shaman that poor shmuck in you story had. There is more to native spirituality than "dancing around the fire and having sex with women" and "smoking the piece pipe."

Although I like how in your story the native who seeks union with creator has a better life than the Christian who just blindly follows his religion and doesn't seek understanding. ;)

Perhaps you need to learn more about native spirituality?