• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ski federation boss praises dictatorships, denies climate change

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Gian Franco Kasper said of why the Winter games will be held in Beijing in 2022 and that Olympics should always be held in dictatorships, because they don't need to listen to the people. He also said climate change doesn't exist.

«In Diktaturen ist es für uns einfacher»

Hello. Yet another reason to not watch the Olympics. The main reason I don't now - and this needs to be explored in a documentary - is the environmental damage it causes. Forests are cleared, habitat disrupted, wetlands drained, all for a few weeks of some games. The Olympics leave a path of destruction in its wake. Add to that the waste of money and accompanying corruption. Absolutely shameful.

Peace

Jumi

Hello. Yet another reason to not watch the Olympics. The main reason I don't now - and this needs to be explored in a documentary - is the environmental damage it causes. Forests are cleared, habitat disrupted, wetlands drained, all for a few weeks of some games. The Olympics leave a path of destruction in its wake. Add to that the waste of money and accompanying corruption. Absolutely shameful.
I think you hit the nail on the head, I think the reason why dictatorships are so great for olympics is they can clear as much forest as they want and whoever makes a fuss gets sent to some camp.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Peace
I also believe that the modern deification of athletes and worshipful regard of sporting events are as close to idolatry as anything practiced today.

Jumi

Dismissing climate change seems short sighted for someone whose livelihood depends on snow.
Well, he's 75 years old. I don't think he cares too much for something he's not seeing at the moment. Besides there's always indoor skiing halls. Maybe a rich dictator could put enough of those to hold an event anywhere as long as there's money and free labor.

Jumi

Not just any camp....a re-education camp.
Everyone wins.
Yes, good food, friendly people, nice teachers... good times at re-education camp and the inside of your head will be much cleaner when you get out or empty if you don't.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I also believe that the modern deification of athletes and worshipful regard of sporting events are as close to idolatry as anything practiced today.

Good point.

Not just any camp....a re-education camp.
Everyone wins.

What a wonderful idea instantly applicable to the political sphere. We can start with everyone Trump has appointed, Trump himself and all on the right wing in Congress. Then we can have the trials broadcast that show the guilty parties admitting their nefarious deeds for the education of all.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Part of a good quality of life is celebrating human achievement. I think there is the core of an important idea in holding the Olympics. So I would say let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. So for example, perhaps we should have a few venues that we reuse. It's not surprising to hear that corruption has crept in. Corruption will creep into anything that we're not paying attention to.