• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skeptics and paranormal proponents might be jumping to conclusions

The Transcended Omniverse

Quote: "The road to truth can be a long journey and there are no shortcuts."

Always Keep An Open Mind And Never Jump To Conclusions: I am going to share my own personal view when it comes to drawing a conclusion in regards to whether the afterlife, paranormal, god, soul, etc. exist or not. This personal view of mine also applies to every other topic that has a lot of debate. I personally think that human beings are very limited, close minded creatures and limit themselves to their particular views. They use shortcut methods of reasoning and logic to arrive at what they think is the truth rather than doing full research and looking at all the objections being said and addressed. I think this shortcut method is flawed and is a very simple, close minded, and limiting approach. People should do full research into both the paranormal and the skeptical/materialistic research before drawing any given conclusion as to whether the skeptics have real evidence or the paranormal has evidence.

I think this is the truly right and open minded way of drawing a conclusion. I will give you an example here with how these shortcut methods are flawed. Skeptics would claim that their scientific method clearly demonstrates paranormal evidence to be fake. But the paranormal researchers would say that the scientific method does not demonstrate the evidence to be fake and that there is, in fact, testable, repeatable evidence for these paranormal phenomena. From there, these paranormal researchers would say that the skeptics have no evidence for their claims and that they are just being close minded and refusing to accept the paranormal evidence. I, myself, have no way of knowing whether the skeptics are right in their conclusions or whether the paranormal researchers are right since I have not done full research into this myself.

I have no interest in this research and am merely keeping an open mind here. I will continue to say some more things here. There are basic facts of life such as the fact that an orange is a juicy fruit or that we will all grow old one day and our physical bodies will die. These things have no debate and these are things we all know to be true. But then there are topics that have a lot of debate about them such as the paranormal or the idea that vaccines are harmful or that they cause autism. I have to remain undecided on these things since I have no interest in fully researching these things and I think it is close minded for me to draw a conclusion through any shortcut of reasoning and logic.

As long as a claim is being made by researchers and people who have had a lot of training and education, then this is enough to warrant an open minded, full research into their claims rather than dismissing them through shortcuts. It doesn't matter what that claim is whether it be the Earth being flat, the idea that we are eternal souls, or anything else. Just because an idea sounds crazy and dumb at first glance does not mean we should dismiss it. Neither does it automatically mean that the rest of the arguments these researchers make are dumbfounded and warrant no further research into them. There is a big difference between well-trained, educated researchers making claims as opposed to a very dumb, crazy person making a claim.

If someone claimed that we can rip our heart out and still live, then we can just give up on the debate with that person since he would be very dumb and/or crazy. But if a researcher made this claim and said that there was somehow a way to achieve this, then we should keep an open mind towards that claim. Sure, there are researchers who believe dumb, crazy things. But the very fact that these researchers are people who have a lot of education and training is enough to warrant an open minded, full research into their claims. I will say one last thing here. That is, I do make certain decisions in life despite not knowing the truth. I still decide to not take vaccines despite not knowing whether they are truly harmful or not.

What Would An All Knowing Being Say?: I am going to give a hypothetical example of an all knowing being. If this being were to exist and we were to ask him whether the paranormal, soul, and afterlife is real or not rather than taking the words of skeptics and paranormal researchers, he might say something radical and unexpected. He might say that human beings limit themselves to their particular worldviews through their shortcut methods. From there, this being would give us the real answer as to whether those mystical phenomena exist or not.

I Will Not Fall Into Anyone's Trap. I Cannot Trust Humanity: My personality also plays a major role in my lack of trust in humanity. I am someone who really wants the eternal blissful afterlife of my dreams to be something real. Living forever in the blissful afterlife of my dreams would be the most profoundly beautiful and joyful existence for me. But skeptics would come along and tell me that I have every reason to think the afterlife and paranormal is all woo and bull crap. They would present their shortcut methods in order to try to convince me. They would attempt to trap me into their skeptical worldview (bubble).

But I do not fit into anyone's bubble or box. I am outside the box/bubble which means I cannot trust anybody. Another example would be fundamentalist Christians who would tell me that I have every reason to think hell is real and that I will go there unless I repent my sins. I would tell these Christians that I will not be fooled by their methods of trying to convince me of their worldview. I have this exact same mindset in regards to anybody making any given claim. This would even include people and researchers who claim that there is an eternal blissful afterlife for us all after we die even though this is something I really want to be true.

Peer Reviewed Research: Skeptics would ask me for peer reviewed research in regards to the paranormal. The paranormal researchers such as Dean Radin claim there is peer reviewed research. It is called IONS. If any skeptic objects to this, then it could still be possible they are being close minded and jumping to conclusions using their shortcuts:

Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications on Psi Research

I Cannot Decide One Way Or The Other: When, for example, skeptics and proponents of the paranormal argue back and forth, they make intelligent-sounding arguments that make it difficult for me to determine who is telling the truth. If there was some incredibly stupid-sounding argument that was being made, then I could obviously see that argument as being false. But since both the skeptics and the paranormal proponents/researchers are trained and educated people, then they make smart-sounding arguments.

This is the reason why I remain undecided on who is telling the truth. This is the reason why I tell others to keep an open mind all the way through to the end and to not dismiss researchers because these researchers would come up with further smart-sounding arguments that should really make you think twice about rejecting the claims of these researchers.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jumping to conclusions is the sport par excellence of our noble and esteemed species of fur-challenged poo-flingers. It puts our performance in the broad jump and high jump to shame.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I like your post. Just how far open is your mind, say, regarding the Bible, and what it says about paranormal powers not from The God?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I am going to share my own personal view when it comes to drawing a conclusion in regards to whether the afterlife, paranormal, god, soul, etc. exist or not. This personal view of mine also applies to every other topic that has a lot of debate. I personally think that human beings are very limited, close minded creatures and limit themselves to their particular views. They use shortcut methods of reasoning and logic to arrive at what they think is the truth rather than doing full research and looking at all the objections being said and addressed. I think this shortcut method is flawed and is a very simple, close minded, and limiting approach. People should do full research into both the paranormal and the skeptical/materialistic research before drawing any given conclusion as to whether the skeptics have real evidence or the paranormal has evidence.

I think this is the truly right and open minded way of drawing a conclusion. I will give you an example here with how these shortcut methods are flawed. Skeptics would claim that their scientific method clearly demonstrates paranormal evidence to be fake. But the paranormal researchers would say that the scientific method does not demonstrate the evidence to be fake and that there is, in fact, testable, repeatable evidence for these paranormal phenomena. From there, these paranormal researchers would say that the skeptics have no evidence for their claims and that they are just being close minded and refusing to accept the paranormal evidence. I, myself, have no way of knowing whether the skeptics are right in their conclusions or whether the paranormal researchers are right since I have not done full research into this myself.

I have no interest in this research and am merely keeping an open mind here. I will continue to say some more things here. There are basic facts of life such as the fact that an orange is a juicy fruit or that we will all grow old one day and our physical bodies will die. These things have no debate and these are things we all know to be true. But then there are topics that have a lot of debate about them such as the paranormal or the idea that vaccines are harmful or that they cause autism. I have to remain undecided on these things since I have no interest in fully researching these things and I think it is close minded for me to draw a conclusion through any shortcut of reasoning and logic.

As long as a claim is being made by researchers and people who have had a lot of training and education, then this is enough to warrant an open minded, full research into their claims rather than dismissing them through shortcuts. It doesn't matter what that claim is whether it be the Earth being flat, the idea that we are eternal souls, or anything else. Just because an idea sounds crazy and dumb at first glance does not mean we should dismiss it. Neither does it automatically mean that the rest of the arguments these researchers make are dumbfounded and warrant no further research into them. There is a big difference between well-trained, educated researchers making claims as opposed to a very dumb, crazy person making a claim.

If someone claimed that we can rip our heart out and still live, then we can just give up on the debate with that person since he would be very dumb and/or crazy. But if a researcher made this claim and said that there was somehow a way to achieve this, then we should keep an open mind towards that claim. Sure, there are researchers who believe dumb, crazy things. But the very fact that these researchers are people who have a lot of education and training is enough to warrant an open minded, full research into their claims. I will say one last thing here. That is, I do make certain decisions in life despite not knowing the truth. I still decide to not take vaccines despite not knowing whether they are truly harmful or not.
About the last part. You should not take a vaccine only if the risk from the disease is less than the risk from the vaccine. And there is overwhelming consensus in the medical community that most long used vaccines have very little risk.

The Transcended Omniverse

I will add a last few things here:

What Would An All Knowing Being Say?: I am going to give a hypothetical example of an all knowing being. If this being were to exist and we were to ask him whether the paranormal, soul, and afterlife is real or not rather than taking the words of skeptics and paranormal researchers, he might say something radical and unexpected. He might say that human beings limit themselves to their particular worldviews through their shortcut methods. From there, this being would give us the real answer as to whether those mystical phenomena exist or not.

I Will Not Fall Into Anyone's Trap. I Cannot Trust Humanity: My personality also plays a major role in my lack of trust in humanity. I am someone who really wants the eternal blissful afterlife of my dreams to be something real. Living forever in the blissful afterlife of my dreams would be the most profoundly beautiful and joyful existence for me. But skeptics would come along and tell me that I have every reason to think the afterlife and paranormal is all woo and bull crap. They would present their shortcut methods in order to try to convince me. They would attempt to trap me into their skeptical worldview (bubble).

But I do not fit into anyone's bubble or box. I am outside the box/bubble which means I cannot trust anybody. Another example would be fundamentalist Christians who would tell me that I have every reason to think hell is real and that I will go there unless I repent my sins. I would tell these Christians that I will not be fooled by their methods of trying to convince me of their worldview. I have this exact same mindset in regards to anybody making any given claim. This would even include people and researchers who claim that there is an eternal blissful afterlife for us all after we die even though this is something I really want to be true.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
All else being equal, it is better to jump to a conclusion than to sink to one.

What's important, I think, is that a conclusion should serve as a provisional strut in a well informed world view rather than a crutch enabling a false sense of certainty.

Audie

Veteran Member

Always Keep An Open Mind And Never Jump To Conclusions: I am going to share my own personal view when it comes to drawing a conclusion in regards to whether the afterlife, paranormal, god, soul, etc. exist or not. This personal view of mine also applies to every other topic that has a lot of debate. I personally think that human beings are very limited, close minded creatures and limit themselves to their particular views. They use shortcut methods of reasoning and logic to arrive at what they think is the truth rather than doing full research and looking at all the objections being said and addressed. I think this shortcut method is flawed and is a very simple, close minded, and limiting approach. People should do full research into both the paranormal and the skeptical/materialistic research before drawing any given conclusion as to whether the skeptics have real evidence or the paranormal has evidence.

Peer Reviewed Research: Skeptics would ask me for peer reviewed research in regards to the paranormal. The paranormal researchers such as Dean Radin claim there is peer reviewed research. It is called IONS. If any skeptic objects to this, then it could still be possible they are being close minded and jumping to conclusions using their shortcuts:

Um, do you have a shortcut way of saying that?

Re Peer review-are all part of this same group?

Ratwik-

Institute of Noetic Sciences[edit]
The Institute of Noetic Sciences is the primary outlet for this form of woo. It was co-founded by former astronaut Edgar Mitchell and former Exxon executive and crank billionaire Paul N. Temple, who is also associated with the fundamentalist Christian organization The Family,

According to the Institute, the core of Noetic Science is as follows:

“”Noetic sciences are explorations into the nature and potentials of consciousness using multiple ways of knowing—including intuition, feeling, reason, and the senses. Noetic sciences explore the "inner cosmos" of the mind (consciousness, soul, spirit) and how it relates to the "outer cosmos" of the physical world.[1]
All of which sounds more like other ways of knowing than science.

Unsurprisingly, noetic science has come under criticism from skeptics and actual scientists, and the organization Quackwatch has placed the Institute of Noetic Science on the "questionable organizations" list.[2]

Last edited:

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

I Cannot Decide One Way Or The Other: I will just say one last thing here that is on my mind. That is, I do not know when to decide something whether it be looking into the paranormal and skeptical research or looking into anything else. I just remain undecided. I can look into all the research and into all the things the skeptics have to say. But I will never be able to decide since I will always have it in my mind that perhaps it's not time to make that decision and that there is much more to keep an open mind to and look into.
I agree with you that we should look at all sides of an argument, but eventually we need to make a decision one way or another usually after we've made an investigation. We can always change our mind later if something new comes up. We should be open-minded enough to re-investigate.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I personally think that human beings are very limited, close minded creatures and limit themselves to their particular views.
I think it is not possible to determine anything about the structure and function of the spiritual realm. The only possible way would be via revelation, and we can see from all the contradictory views and systems, that this is doomed to fail. Why should we choose one over another?

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Skeptics would claim that their scientific method clearly demonstrates paranormal evidence to be fake. But the paranormal researchers would say that the scientific method does not demonstrate the evidence to be fake and that there is, in fact, testable, repeatable evidence for these paranormal phenomena.
Yes, it should be possible to determine knowledge about this topic via science. But as you note, the assumption of materialism makes this impossible.

HonestJoe

Quote: "The road to truth can be a long journey and there are no shortcuts."…
I have a couple of problems with what you’re saying (other than it being too long and rambling) though ironically, not the general theme of your conclusion.

First, you’re misusing the word “skeptic”. It isn’t the opposite of “proponent”, if anything it’s closer to the middle ground (and technically leaning towards doubt of established explanations for things).

Regardless, I think presenting anything like this as a direct two-sided conflict is flawed. It isn’t a case of listening to two arguments and deciding who’s answers you prefer, it’s about studying the evidence and establishing the facts (including all the “We don’t knows”).

“The paranormal” doesn’t really mean anything. Even in your own half-attempted definition, you list a number of barely connected things then tack on “etc.” while in your reference to peer-revered evidence, you link something about an entirely different topic. One of the major issues with this kind of topic is the singular lack of clear and consistent definition for the phenomena we’re meant to be looking at, indeed, there is often a deliberate effort to avoid defining them with hand waving about “being outside physical science” or the like. We can’t even start to talk about anything like this serious without some kind of clearly defined hypothesis.

You’re also making several unsupported assertions of what certain types of people would say or claim, creating strawman arguments for you to know down. I’d respectfully suggest you’d be better placed making fewer statements and asking more questions.

Audie

Veteran Member

All of the citations come from the same woo woo source.

Audie

Veteran Member
Yes, it should be possible to determine knowledge about this topic via science. But as you note, the assumption of materialism makes this impossible.

The prior statement that the scientific method clearly demonstrates paranormal evidence to be fake leaves a bit to be desired, it leave a lot out.

Any "paranormal" that have been put to the test, ie, can it be repeated under
controlled circumstances etc, have all failed.

Astrology, telekinesis, whatever. Any and all that have been rested fail,
"peer review" claims not with, as they say, standing.

This has nothing to do with an "assumption of materialism"

It is a complete failure on the part of claimants to have anything to show.

Anyone who could reliably demonstrate a "paranormal" would usher
in a revolution in human understanding, certainly would shake the \understanding of what is or is not science to the foundation.

Now, there could be "paranormal",who knows. I saw something quite odd
one time, so I dont just poo poo the whole idea. I would not in any case.

The fault, credibility wise, is entirely on the part of those who want to
claim para normal, but cannot show anything but claims, not on the
part of some failure on t he part of "materialistic assumptions".

Thermos aquaticus

People should do full research into both the paranormal and the skeptical/materialistic research before drawing any given conclusion as to whether the skeptics have real evidence or the paranormal has evidence.

The first mistake is in thinking that skeptics have to disprove a claim. That's not the way it works. It is up to the people claiming the existence of the paranormal to produce the evidence. Lacking such evidence, the claims made by those proposing the existence of the paranormal are simply not accepted. At the same time, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, so those claims can be reassessed at a later date if evidence is produced.

It isn't closed minded to require evidence in support of a claim.

Skeptics would claim that their scientific method clearly demonstrates paranormal evidence to be fake.

Skeptics claim that scientific testing for paranormal activities has yet to yield a positive result.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The first mistake is in thinking that skeptics have to disprove a claim. That's not the way it works. It is up to the people claiming the existence of the paranormal to produce the evidence. Lacking such evidence, the claims made by those proposing the existence of the paranormal are simply not accepted. At the same time, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, so those claims can be reassessed at a later date if evidence is produced.

It isn't closed minded to require evidence in support of a claim.

Skeptics claim that scientific testing for paranormal activities has yet to yield a positive result.

I would make one small correction. Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence. There can be cases of when absence of evidence is evidence of absence. When a claim would lead to obvious observations that are not seen that is evidence of absence. If a friend claims a herd of buffaloes just stampeded through his kitchen and you rush over and see an immaculate kitchen that is evidence of absence. I am not making that claim for the supernatural at this time, I merely wanted to clarify your post a little.