• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skepticism of Gurus

I am personally rather skeptical of gurus in general. I think that gurus can often have useful insights or have useful personal stories but are over glorified among many religions. In a lot of cases one is expected to hand over their reasoning faculties and just go along with it because gurus and teachers are said to have some sort of deeper connection than you.

While I think teachers can be helpful it seems to me that a much better approach is to examine what teachers say from multiple traditions and to even take what your favorite guru might say with a grain of salt. These people are still ultimately fallible and creatures which come with their own baggage and experiences. These experiences might differ so drastically from yours that anything they say to you either means something entirely different to them or is bound up to be misinterpreted once you come to hear it.

That is before you ever begin to take on the bias that comes with being a human being and living on this earth. Enlightened beings are few and far between and I am unsure if an enlightened being is even clear of all of their previous bias or simply has some greater insight into deep mystical truths.

As I have been exploring Hinduism more recently I have found a wealth of great wisdom. There are plenty of jewels in ancient teachers and their teachings that can help us even today but it also seems like some people are willing to throw away their minds and not question anything an “enlightened” teacher has to say.

In the Kalama Sutta the Buddha says “ 4. "It is proper for you, Kalamas, to doubt, to be uncertain; uncertainty has arisen in you about what is doubtful. Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are bad; these things are blamable; these things are censured by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill,' abandon them.”

What I am saying is that I think having a teacher is great but simply accepting everything they say uncritically is not the way to further our understanding. I think the best course of action even if we have a teacher is to consider multiple sources and to do our own practices of contemplation and meditation to try and get to the bottom of things.

I think more than once we have seen the abuses that can happen when people simply trust their gurus.

All of this being said I am curious as to what you guys think about all of this? How much faith do you put into your teachers?

Kalama Sutta: The Buddha's Charter of Free Inquiry (accesstoinsight.org) Here is a link to the sutta I quoted btw.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
What I am saying is that I think having a teacher is great but simply accepting everything they say uncritically is not the way to further our understanding.
A real Guru expects you to:
1) Use Common Sense before Divine Sense (Scripture, Guru...)
2) Develop yourself in becoming more humane, loving etc
3) Reject UnTruth, even if told by "God" Himself
4) Accept Truth, even if told by a "Fool"

Using these 4 makes it easy to distinguish False Prophets

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I am personally rather skeptical of gurus in general.

You're not the only one! The great Hindu poet and saint is reported to have offered this about the fake holy men of his day:

“There are many hypocritical saints with long matted hair and their bodies besmeared with ashes. Tukaram says: “Let their dead conscience be burnt; it is no sin to thrash them!”

What I am saying is that I think having a teacher is great but simply accepting everything they say uncritically is not the way to further our understanding.

True teachers will tell you that if there is a time when you feel their words are incorrect, you must follow your highest and best personal judgement.

Vitality

This is a huge topic of interest in the yoga community, in part due to the controversy surrounding exploitive acts performed by gurus. Exploitation aside, I agree that there is an overemphasis of the influence gurus should have on their followers or apprentices.

When I was offered a work study position by my yoga mentor I was hesitant because I never desired to become a yoga instructor, but I wanted to deepen my understanding of the practice. Especially considering my lack of belief in mysticism. I am an atheist and struggled to relate to some of the things yoga instructors say. What convinced me to pursue the opportunity was the non-dogmatic approach taken by my mentor, who studied under Ganga White. Plus, becoming an instructor meant free membership to studios I couldn’t afford to practice at otherwise.

The perspectives shared in his teachings allowed for a less belief driven interpretation of yogic traditions that are centered around “spiritual enlightenment” and instead provided a means to relate philosophically. In a sense, the approach allows each individual to become their own guru by providing general guidelines that can be applied to any lifestyle preferences, spiritual practice, religion, or lack thereof.

This is a huge topic of interest in the yoga community, in part due to the controversy surrounding exploitive acts performed by gurus. Exploitation aside, I agree that there is an overemphasis of the influence gurus should have on their followers or apprentices.

When I was offered a work study position by my yoga mentor I was hesitant because I never desired to become a yoga instructor, but I wanted to deepen my understanding of the practice. Especially considering my lack of belief in mysticism. I am an atheist and struggled to relate to some of the things yoga instructors say. What convinced me to pursue the opportunity was the non-dogmatic approach taken by my mentor, who studied under Ganga White. Plus, becoming an instructor meant free membership to studios I couldn’t afford to practice at otherwise.

The perspectives shared in his teachings allowed for a less belief driven interpretation of yogic traditions that are centered around “spiritual enlightenment” and instead provided a means to relate philosophically. In a sense, the approach allows each individual to become their own guru by providing general guidelines that can be applied to any lifestyle preferences, spiritual practice, religion, or lack thereof.
I think whether or not someone can make use of a guru or teacher will be determined by the intentions of the people involved. The biggest issue I have is when people just blindly follow gurus. It looks like you stepped out of your comfort zone and gained something from it and that is awesome!

Skeptics cannot have Gurus - in my opinion.

Non-skeptics are capable of faith and trust. This allows them to accept Gurus and overlook their flaws. This does not work for skeptics.
I suppose you might have a point here. I would be unwilling to fully give myself over to someone to make them truly my guru vs someone I might take some advice from. It's not impossible to overlook people's flaws but the complete trust required for something like a true guru relationship is just not something I can see myself doing with people who I know have the same ability to be wrong that I do.

You're not the only one! The great Hindu poet and saint is reported to have offered this about the fake holy men of his day:

“There are many hypocritical saints with long matted hair and their bodies besmeared with ashes. Tukaram says: “Let their dead conscience be burnt; it is no sin to thrash them!”

True teachers will tell you that if there is a time when you feel their words are incorrect, you must follow your highest and best personal judgement.
I think you are correct. Gurus who are unwilling to let you question them are probably not really worth the time. Also I like the quote!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
All of this being said I am curious as to what you guys think about all of this? How much faith do you put into your teachers?
I have a lot of faith in my Guru, because He has proven to me to be most trustworthy. Cured me of incurable diseases quite a few times. Provides me answers about my health issues even doctors could not figure out.

This all happened over a period of 30 years (I stayed with Him for 10 years, till I had all the proof I needed to trust Him) in which He never let me down, never asked money, but gave me things instead. Took a couple of years before I trusted Him though, as I have immense trust issues. I only trust 2 people in this world...My Self and My Guru.

I have a lot of faith in my Guru, because He has proven to me to be most trustworthy. Cured me of incurable diseases quite a few times. Provides me answers about my health issues even doctors could not figure out.

This all happened over a period of 30 years (I stayed with Him for 10 years, till I had all the proof I needed to trust Him) in which He never let me down, never asked money, but gave me things instead. Took a couple of years before I trusted Him though, as I have immense trust issues. I only trust 2 people in this world...My Self and My Guru.
I am curious about the curing you of incurable diseases part. If you could elaborate that would be neat!

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Skeptics cannot have Gurus - in my opinion.

Non-skeptics are capable of faith and trust. This allows them to accept Gurus and overlook their flaws. This does not work for skeptics.

Skeptics and Faith-followers are at the opposite ends of a spectrum, so this seems like an artificial dichotomy to me. Most people are on the spectrum, and not at the extremes.
I'm not sure how overlooking a guru's flaws is a good thing.

Last edited:

Martin

I think whether or not someone can make use of a guru or teacher will be determined by the intentions of the people involved. The biggest issue I have is when people just blindly follow gurus. It looks like you stepped out of your comfort zone and gained something from it and that is awesome!

Possibly it's a personality thing. Some people need to be led or taught, others need to make their own discoveries.
There are also cultural factors at play.

Martin

Skepticism of Gurus

I am personally rather skeptical of gurus in general. I think that gurus can often have useful insights or have useful personal stories but are over glorified among many religions. In a lot of cases one is expected to hand over their reasoning faculties and just go along with it because gurus and teachers are said to have some sort of deeper connection than you.

While I think teachers can be helpful it seems to me that a much better approach is to examine what teachers say from multiple traditions and to even take what your favorite guru might say with a grain of salt. These people are still ultimately fallible and creatures which come with their own baggage and experiences. These experiences might differ so drastically from yours that anything they say to you either means something entirely different to them or is bound up to be misinterpreted once you come to hear it.

That is before you ever begin to take on the bias that comes with being a human being and living on this earth. Enlightened beings are few and far between and I am unsure if an enlightened being is even clear of all of their previous bias or simply has some greater insight into deep mystical truths.

As I have been exploring Hinduism more recently I have found a wealth of great wisdom. There are plenty of jewels in ancient teachers and their teachings that can help us even today but it also seems like some people are willing to throw away their minds and not question anything an “enlightened” teacher has to say.

In the Kalama Sutta the Buddha says “ 4. "It is proper for you, Kalamas, to doubt, to be uncertain; uncertainty has arisen in you about what is doubtful. Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are bad; these things are blamable; these things are censured by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill,' abandon them.”

What I am saying is that I think having a teacher is great but simply accepting everything they say uncritically is not the way to further our understanding. I think the best course of action even if we have a teacher is to consider multiple sources and to do our own practices of contemplation and meditation to try and get to the bottom of things.

I think more than once we have seen the abuses that can happen when people simply trust their gurus.

Kalama Sutta: The Buddha's Charter of Free Inquiry (accesstoinsight.org) Here is a link to the sutta I quoted btw.

The test in the Kalama Sutta is basically whether a particular method works, or has the desired outcome. It advocates pragmatism, but is not really a "charter for free enquiry".

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Skepticism of Gurus

A guru is supposed to be a teacher. So, fundamentally, a good Guru is one who is teaching you the knowledge/skills/practice till you have the basics right and let you become an independent practitioner after that time (just like any teaching or internship). A bad guru would instead try to get you to become dependent on him/her or his/her organization on a perpetual 24-7 basis. That is the fundamental difference.

Martin

A guru is supposed to be a teacher. So, fundamentally, a good Guru is one who is teaching you the knowledge/skills/practice till you have the basics right and let you become 6an independent practitioner after that time (just like any teaching or internship). A bad guru would instead try to get you to become dependent on him/her or his/her organization on a perpetual 24-7 basis.

Maybe we should also talk about good and bad students. Presumably a "bad" (immature) student would want/need to be dependent on a guru, rather than taking responsibility for their own development.

The test in the Kalama Sutta is basically whether a particular method works, or has the desired outcome. It advocates pragmatism, but is not really a "charter for free enquiry".
Well I was using it less as an example of free inquiry and more for the lines about not trusting something merely because it has been repeated many times, said by someone who claims to know etc .
Verse 15: 15. "Therefore, did we say, Kalamas, what was said thus, 'Come Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, "The monk is our teacher." Kalamas, when you yourselves know: "These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness," enter on and abide in them.'

I am in agreement with you and am not 100% sure why accessforinsight added the "charter for free inquiry" thing. I think you could interpret it that way because you have to ask the question as to whether or not a practice you have is leading you to the good or is simply something you repeat etc.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe we should also talk about good and bad students. Presumably a "bad" (immature) student would want/need to be dependent on a guru, rather than taking responsibility for their own development.
But that is like a student who never graduates or a child who remains always dependent on his parents even after growing up. After several tries, should not the guru just say " Look you are not progressing. Maybe this teaching cannot help you further. Maybe some other teacher or guru can help you further. Start looking elsewhere." Cultivating or even allowing dependency is simply not a path that can lead to enlightenment or moksha whatever you may call it. Its just another dependency.

Possibly it's a personality thing. Some people need to be led or taught, others need to make their own discoveries.
There are also cultural factors at play.

I agree with you about both of these thing and would like to state that the point of my OP here is less about good and bad gurus and more about not becoming overly dependent on any one teacher.
We should not assume someone is bad or has bad intentions if something they have done doesn't help us for instance. I have had numerous occasions where people were giving me advice and their intentions were good but because they didn't know what they were talking about, were divorced from the situation , had completely different end goals to me etc I found their advice not helpful or even harmful.

I like to depend on God and my own understanding to the best of my ability. If something doesn't make sense I research it. For me dependence on a Guru has been more of a hindrance than a help.

Edit: I also agree with you that this might partly be a cultural thing. The way I view gurus and teachers is partially dependent on my own culture and studies. Being from where I am in the world with the kind of history I have had gives me reasons to be skeptical that someone in a different set of circumstances just wouldn't have.

But that is like a student who never graduates or a child who remains always dependent on his parents even after growing up. After several tries, should not the guru just say " Look you are not progressing. Maybe this teaching cannot help you further. Maybe some other teacher or guru can help you further. Start looking elsewhere." Cultivating or even allowing dependency is simply not a path that can lead to enlightenment or moksha whatever you may call it. Its just another dependency.
I think something people often forget about when we talk about non attachment is that at a certain point our dependency on teachers is an attachment. Teachers can be helpful but we should not become overly dependent on them in my opinion. Take what they say and examine it, examine what other teachers say as well. Who knows, sometimes something that doesn't make sense from one teacher makes perfect sense when another one presents it to you.

Martin

Well I was using it less as an example of free inquiry and more for the lines about not trusting something merely because it has been repeated many times, said by someone who claims to know etc .
Verse 15: 15. "Therefore, did we say, Kalamas, what was said thus, 'Come Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, "The monk is our teacher." Kalamas, when you yourselves know: "These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness," enter on and abide in them.'

I am in agreement with you and am not 100% sure why accessforinsight added the "charter for free inquiry" thing. I think you could interpret it that way because you have to ask the question as to whether or not a practice you have is leading you to the good or is simply something you repeat etc.

I think the important point is finding out for yourself that a particular method leads to "benefit and happiness", rather than going on somebody elses say-so. Though this does require an initial trust or confidence that the method is worth pursuing.