• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sinkford Issues Statement on Unitarian Universalist "Moral Values"

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Link
Boston, MA -- November 9, 2004) In conjunction with a press conference sponsored today by the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice, UUA president William Sinkford issued this statement about Unitarian Universalist moral values. The press conference was held at the National Press Club in Washington, DC, and featured representatives from several denominations addressing the topic, “Defining ‘Moral Values’ For the Next Four Years.” The full text of Rev. Sinkford’s statement is below.

Statement from the Rev. William G. Sinkford

Moral values are not just particular opinions on “hot button” topics in a divisive election year. Moral values grow out of our calling as religious people to work to create the Beloved Community. Moral values instruct us to “love our neighbors as ourselves” and always to ask the question, “Who is my neighbor?” They are fundamentally inclusive rather than exclusive, and they call on generosity of spirit rather than mean spiritedness.

In this post election season, let me express some of the moral values held dear by the Unitarian Universalist community, which I lead, and by many other progressive people of faith:

• We believe that feeding the hungry and clothing the naked are moral duties, and we will continue to work on behalf of economic justice.
  • We believe that ensuring equal civil rights for gay and lesbian families is our moral duty, and we will continue to work for Marriage Equality nationwide.
  • We believe that serving as stewards of the earth is a moral duty, and we will continue to do everything in our power to protect the environment.
  • We believe that safeguarding a woman’s right to choose is a moral duty, and we will vigorously oppose any efforts to eliminate or significantly compromise reproductive freedom.
  • We believe that providing affordable health care for all Americans is a moral duty, and we will continue to advocate for medical rights for the young, the old, the frail, and all of those in need.

Davidium

I am a UU, and I am often considered a conservative....

There are several different political groups within the UUA.... including a small collection of Libertarians such as myself. Truely, it depends on what you mean by conservative....

UU's are from all walks of life, and from all political persuasions.... though there is a high number of those who are socially liberal... there are also many I have met who are socially liberal but fiscally conservative and even some of us who side with Republicans on Foreign policy....

I personally believe that the UUA would serve itself to focus more on spiritual issues, and the defense of the separation of Church and State than other more notable left of center causes. There is a place for politics in the UUA, but I do not beleive that place is the Pulpit....

And I am a dedicated UU and an aspirant to UU ministry....

Here is the website for the most recognized UU Conservative group..

http://www.cfuu.org/

Reason and Respect in all you say and do....

David Pyle
Galveston Island, Republic of Texas...

Ellie_A

Davidium said:
I personally believe that the UUA would serve itself to focus more on spiritual issues, and the defense of the separation of Church and State than other more notable left of center causes. There is a place for politics in the UUA, but I do not beleive that place is the Pulpit....QUOTE]

This I completely agree with. I have missed my UU background. I come from a long line of Unitarians that can be traced back to Ben Franklin in fact, who as you know was Unitarian. I love my spirituality but have found myself shying away from fellowships because I do not feel comfortable with the political side.

Thanks to you and Maize. I will check into the site you linked and maybe I can find my niche again as a UU.

huajiro

I am having a hard time with that...I am very attracted to Unitarianism because of its focus. Then you start seeing different politcal groups within it. What does spirituality have to do with politcs? Isn't the whole idea behind Unitarianism acceptance and tolerance?

Ellie_A

huajiro said:
I am having a hard time with that...I am very attracted to Unitarianism because of its focus. Then you start seeing different politcal groups within it. What does spirituality have to do with politcs? Isn't the whole idea behind Unitarianism acceptance and tolerance?
The links thay have posted look very interesting. I am hoping I can find a home back where I grew up! :)

Davidium

Ok, I will argue devils advocate here....

Many of my fellow Unitarians would be quite surprised at me defending the place of Political action within the UU...

I think there is a place, not for politics, but rather for social action. Politics is talking about problems, and trying to get the government to fix them...Social action should be working yourself to solve problems.

Instead of leading a political campaign against homelessness, I think UU's should open a shelter, or run a soup kitchen.

Instead of working on political campaigns, I think that UU's should voulnteer with Habitat for Humanity.

Instead of protesting in front of a state house, I think that UU's would be better off to work in drug rehab center.

There are plenty of political action groups... But social action is action within society to make things better. Instead of trying to get politicans to care, I promote going yourself into the fray and making a difference.

Take action to make things better, not politics.

You will find that doing so is indeed very, very spiritual...

Reason and Respect in all you say and do,

David Pyle

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
David, social action is one of the reason I love the UU church so much, especially my church. We are socially active, not just politically, we do that too of course, but taking social action. We do not run a shelter or a soup kitchen, but we do support one that's already well established in the community. We support programs for drug rehab, single parents, we sponsoring a Bosnian refugee family and provided them with a furnished apartment, transportation, and support services while they settled into their new country, supporting enviromental programs, and a whole slew of other things that I'm forgetting this morning.

So I agree with you, action is important, but I don't think we can ignore politics completely, simply because some things will not be changed or even noticed if that route is not taken. Both are important, and both are working towards change.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
huajiro said:

huajiro, it has been my experience, that when a UU identifies as Republican or conservative it is because of the fiscal or economic side of the party's stance. These people are still very much for acceptance and tolerance and are right beside their UU sisters and brothers at social action events. I think there is a place for both. They wouldn't be UU if they didn't accept the P&P, which calls for tolerance and respect for all.

Ellie_A

Believe me; I do not feel tolerance when I express a different view in a fellowship (this has happened at all the fellowships I have attended lately). As for the list or UU morals that started this thread I really only agree with one, and partially on some of the others. I feel bad as a UU not to be recognized with the way it is written... WE this, and WE that, but the truth is not really we... it is MANY! Those of us who have been on the other side of the issues have become scared to voice our opinions, why is that? There are quite a few that feel the same way I do, and thanks to the links provided I have been able to find some of them. I feel that I have found a place where I can fit in again.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Ellie. Perhaps you could explain the "morals" listed in the OP that you do not agree with so I can understand better where you're coming from, thanks.

Ellie_A

Maize said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Ellie. Perhaps you could explain the "morals" listed in the OP that you do not agree with so I can understand better where you're coming from, thanks.
Thank you for making my point! The answer is in your request.

Ellie_A

You did not offend. I do feel however, that by saying I do not agree should suffice. You seem to be an intelligent woman, and I am sure you know (yes “assuming” is bad) what the other side of the fence is with out me having to explain it. The issue is not the "Morals" though. It is the fact when I mention that I do not agree I feel pushed to have to defend my ideals. Asking me to explain so that you can better understand is not important. I do not need to know why you agree with the list of “morals” for me to accept you. This kind of conversation happen repeatedly. I have learned through experience in the fellowships I have attended when I do state my side it becomes a debate. I do not see this as tolerance.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I don't need you to agree with the list or with me for me to accept you. I already accept you as a fellow UU and human. Simple as that. I was simply curious about your beliefs. Sorry for the confusion. I won't ask anything else.

Davidium

Ellie,

For many years I had participated in the UU on the outskirts... I had attended and left two fellowships... all due to political action that i did not agree with. I too had felt that there was too much focus on the Politics and not enough on the spiritual. In one I attended, small group ministries (chalice circles, Covenant groups) focusing on social issues outnumbered spiritual issues two to one.

I will say that I am lucky in having found a small fellowship that is more focused on the spiritual than the political... but I will put forth this for you to ponder Ellie...

If the UUA is to learn to accept those who are more politically moderate or even conservative, then they need to learn that you can hold such views and still be a religious liberal. The UUA needs its conservatives, in order to continue its growth as an organization. In other words, if your fellowship seems to be intolerant of such views as you hold, then that is a sign of how badly they need you.

Maize, I do agree with you that there is a place for political action as well as social action. In fact, i am somewhat involved in political work in defense of separation of Church and State. I just do not believe that the place for that political work and speech is the pulpit... But that is just me! :)

And if there is an issue that will have me in the street carrying a placard, it is that issue. But in my opinion our priority list should be as follows:

1. Fellowship and supporting each other.
2. Spiritual Growth of our members.
3. Intellictual growth of our members.
4. Social action and charity.
5. Political Action.

Reason and Respect in all you say and do,
David Pyle

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Davidium said:
But in my opinion our priority list should be as follows:

1. Fellowship and supporting each other.
2. Spiritual Growth of our members.
3. Intellictual growth of our members.
4. Social action and charity.
5. Political Action.
I would agree with that, and I think my church has those some priorities, but then we are a small church. Sometimes I think we take on too much political action, because we feel we're the only religious liberal voice in our area, indeed we are, the only one. So, if we don't stand up and say something, then really and truly, no one will. I think there's room for it all, and for everyone to find their own niche. Not everyone, at least at my church, is interested in the spiritual, in fact, there are atheists, humanists and the like. They want a community that is dedicated to the good of all, and for them, we are that. I think the UU church of today is many things to many people, and that, IMO, is how it should be.