• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simile on how to make mind become still

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In a weird kind of way, speaking unwise things is the fastest way to learn we were wrong, as others have the chance to correct you.

But if you have patience and good introspection, this wisdom will also come to you.

So I think it boils down to "just do the best you can". For some it is to learn by meditation, and for others, sitting physical still is even impossible (many have this hyper active syndrome nowadays; quite telling) let alone having peaceful mind and feeling happy alone.

Some might even go crazy if you lock them up in einzelhaft.
Again a very good point from you :)
I once asked my fianceè if she wanted to do some meditation together with me, but as soon as she sat down, she got horrified because her ADHD took over and instead of calming her mind, it started racing :) So when she had calmed down (on her own) I went in to check on her, and asked about her experience. and she told me what scared her so much to run away, was the silence. Her mind does not handle silence (for now) But she will try again someday she said :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Very important point. I totally agree. I feel fully responsible for the impact of my words, so I am very reluctant to give advice. I rather stick to general common sense knowledge to share. Mostly sufficient anyway.
Would you say being a good teacher is actually asking the "student" the correct questions about themself, instead of telling them what to do or not to do :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Again a very good point from you :)
I once asked my fianceè if she wanted to do some meditation together with me, but as soon as she sat down, she got horrified because her ADHD took over and instead of calming her mind, it started racing :) So when she had calmed down (on her own) I went in to check on her, and asked about her experience. and she told me what scared her so much to run away, was the silence. Her mind does not handle silence (for now) But she will try again someday she said :)
Thank you for sharing.

Once someone asked me if I could take someone to see Sai Baba if I was going next time. This person was mentally really not stable. So, I said that I think it's not a good idea, because the energy in the ashram is quite high and intense.

Was in my first years with Sai Baba, so I was not sure if I did the right thing. So, when I came in the ashram again, I asked the officials what would be best, and they told me "you did the right thing, the energy is very high, and if they can't handle they can end up in mental hospital and when you brought them it's your responsibiliy". In the years after, I have seen maybe 200 Westerners being admitted to mental hospital.

Having witnessed this, I now fully understand why the Scriptures all start with step 1 "sense control", some asanas, some concentration then contemplation, lots of Self Enquiry and common sense. Only after many steps meditation starts. Same as worldly schools. 1step at a time.

Some can skip classes though, maybe because of previous lives. In this context I saw this youtube about a 9 year old who was more wise than most adults, and no arrogance. And the way he speaks, just amazing.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Thank you for sharing.

Once someone asked me if I could take someone to see Sai Baba if I was going next time. This person was mentally really not stable. So, I said that I think it's not a good idea, because the energy in the ashram is quite high and intense.

Was in my first years with Sai Baba, so I was not sure if I did the right thing. So, when I came in the ashram again, I asked the officials what would be best, and they told me "you did the right thing, the energy is very high, and if they can't handle they can end up in mental hospital and when you brought them it's your responsibiliy". In the years after, I have seen maybe 200 Westerners being admitted to mental hospital.

Having witnessed this, I now fully understand why the Scriptures all start with step 1 "sense control", some asanas, some concentration then contemplation, lots of Self Enquiry and common sense. Only after many steps meditation starts. Same as worldly schools. 1step at a time.

Some can skip classes though, maybe because of previous lives. In this context I saw this youtube about a 9 year old who was more wise than most adults, and no arrogance. And the way he speaks, just amazing.
Do you think a someone with years of meditation, but as a Buddhist tradition would feel the energy within the Ashram, if we were allowed in of course, I do not know the rules of community within the ashram :)

But if you were to visit the temple or monastery that I could go to for deeper meditation or study, I know the monk and the laypeople there would welcome anyone to come inside and take a look and also speak with the monks (about dharma )
And yes it is higher energy within the meditation all there :) this is why it is easier to meditate there then at home :)

stvdv

Would you say being a good teacher is actually asking the "student" the correct questions about themself, instead of telling them what to do or not to do :)
I think it is a good teacher if He asks the `student` the correct questions about themself, like "who are you .... where you come from ... where you go". But those very Spiritual questions are of no use when someone is just starting on the Spiritual Path. Those `students` probably even prefer the Teacher to tell them exactly what to do and what not to do. At least the 2 big religions love to tell others what to do and what not, so I expect them to follow it also themselves, otherwise they would set a bad example

A good Teacher knows exactly what to say to whom at what time.

stvdv

Do you think a someone with years of meditation, but as a Buddhist tradition would feel the energy within the Ashram, if we were allowed in of course, I do not know the rules of community within the ashram :)

For sure Buddhists are allowed. One of the bigger festivals that is celebrated is "Buddha Poornima". Every year ca. 3 to 5 thousands monks came from all over the world to visit Sai Baba in Puttaparthi to celebrate "Buddha Poornima" festival. Sai Baba gave the monks the chance to decorate the whole ashram according to Buddha tradition. And the monks also prepared Buddhists meals for everyone. And Sai Baba always gave a few discourses on Buddha and Buddhism. Was always a beautiful experience. I grew up as a Christian, but this did not click, so I did not practice. Age 18 I read about Buddha and loved it, so this festival was always kind of special to me.

I think it's the easiest Ashram as for rules. Sai Baba always said something like "it's easy to meditate in the forest ... everyone can do that, the real challenge is to stay calm in the midst of the world with all her craziness".

After Darshan I was always standing under a huge tree, hundreds of people chatting, and the more they were chatting the more silent I became inside (I had the same in a church today). If you have the peace inside, you will feel the Energy of the Ashram for sure, even if all people around are shouting, but you stay focused the peace will become even stronger in my experience (like a snail withdrawn in it's little house).

stvdv

But if you were to visit the temple or monastery that I could go to for deeper meditation or study, I know the monk and the laypeople there would welcome anyone to come inside and take a look and also speak with the monks (about dharma )
Yes, I love monks. They are so friendly. Once I had the good fortune to meet the Dalai Lama, and talk to Him. And I stayed quite a while in the village where He lived. I was very sick, and went to the doctor there, who also happened to be the doctor of the Dalai Lama. He took me in from the crowd, and told me I had hepatitis. Then He saw my medallion from Sai Baba, and took it in His hands and said "you do not have to worry about anything". Returning from Dalai Lama back to Sai Baba, during Sai Baba's Darshan suddenly He turned around to me, and threw a candy at me. I ate it and was cured instantly.

stvdv

And yes it is higher energy within the meditation all there :) this is why it is easier to meditate there then at home :)
As the Yoga Vasistha says: a) Self Effort + b) Reading Scriptures + c) Company of Wise (this one counts for 50% Y.V says; that's how important it is)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, I love monks. They are so friendly. Once I had the good fortune to meet the Dalai Lama, and talk to Him. And I stayed quite a while in the village where He lived. I was very sick, and went to the doctor there, who also happened to be the doctor of the Dalai Lama. He took me in from the crowd, and told me I had hepatitis. Then He saw my medallion from Sai Baba, and took it in His hands and said "you do not have to worry about anything". Returning from Dalai Lama back to Sai Baba, during Sai Baba's Darshan suddenly He turned around to me, and threw a candy at me. I ate it and was cured instantly.
Yes, i heard the doctor of Dalai Lama is a very good doctor :) And it is also very good you were able to meet and listen to Dalai Lama himself :)
Within Theravada Buddhism, I have yet to meet some of the famous monks, But even those I been in contac with have a deep understanding of Dhrama :)