• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simile on how to make mind become still

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed a good metaphor to help people to understand that one will not be able to achieve samadhi by focusing on mental stillness. It's about letting go of thought completely.

I completely disagree with the Google definition of 'samadhi.'

upload_2019-11-2_9-9-37.png

The above definition is clearly written by someone who has never experienced samadhi. It's not about "concentration." There is nothing "intense" about it. It's about letting go of thought and attachment. It's about simply being.

Of course, the mind is something quite difficult to still, especially, for a beginner of such practice. But there are techniques one can practice to accomplish this.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Indeed a good metaphor to help people to understand that one will not be able to achieve samadhi by focusing on mental stillness. It's about letting go of thought completely.

I completely disagree with the Google definition of 'samadhi.'

View attachment 34021

The above definition is clearly written by someone who has never experienced samadhi. It's not about "concentration." There is nothing "intense" about it. It's about letting go of thought and attachment. It's about simply being.

Of course, the mind is something quite difficult to still, especially, for a beginner of such practice. But there are techniques one can practice to accomplish this.
Yes, Both Buddhist and Hindu teaching has good techniques how to calm the mind :) But as you say it is very difficult to still the mind 100% :) So even after half my life of meditation, the mind still wanders away sometimes. But any of the attachments that used to be a daily thing for me has been more easy to let go of the more the mind has become silent :) one see more clear what is good for us and what is not good for us :)

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Very simple explained, and very true.

Concentration is a good start, because you need concentration to `put the cup down`, and afterwards you need concentration to `not pick it up`
Contempation is also a good start, because you need to forgive yourself not being able to `stop thinking`. You need to love yourself and the way

Meditiation is when the mind is still.
In the West many misunderstand and think that all kinds of techniques are called meditation. At best it can be called concentration or contemplation

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Very simple explained, and very true.

Concentration is a good start, because you need concentration to `put the cup down`, and afterwards you need concentration to `not pick it up`
Contempation is also a good start, because you need to forgive yourself not being able to `stop thinking`. You need to love yourself and the way

Meditation is when the mind is still.
In the West many misunderstand and think that all kinds of techniques are called meditation. At best it can be called concentration or contemplation
One thing many here in the west not know or maybe not understand is how many years it can take to calm the mind toward the silence we can experience :) And that to achieve this calmness/silence it is dedicated toward understanding what we must let go of :) One other "problem" for many is that when they open their eyes after meditation, they go back to the old habits and does not change toward the silence of the mind, so again the mind become like a chatterbox.
The breathing technique is well and good, but it is so much more to understand and to notice. But at the same time "stop trying so hard " :)
Meditation is not difficult when understanding what meditation is. what is difficult is to realize that no matter how hard one try, thoughts will arise in the mind, it is the letting go of clinging to the thought that is difficult, at the beginning of meditation one get to know "observe the thought and make a mental note about it, then let it go" a good advice for beginners. But even this can become an attachment if we do not change the way we "see" the thoughts that arise.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's about letting go of thought and attachment. It's about simply being.
True, concentration (Dhyana) will come at a later stage. But before that Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dharana.
Yoga - Wikipedia
But as you say it is very difficult to still the mind 100% :) So even after half my life of meditation, the mind still wanders away sometimes.
That has not been a problem for me. I sing (used to, now I do not meditate and when I want to concentrate, it comes with just a deep breath). I would take up a mantra, chant it, then chant is more slowly, then introduce breaks between two chants, then between the words, make the breaks longer and random and then stop. Perfect calm.

I like the video. Water shakes till it is in hand. Once you place it on ground, remove yourself from the equation, it becomes still. That is what I made out by seeing it, with my hearing problem, I do not attempt to listen to the description.

Last edited:

stvdv

One thing many here in the west not know or maybe not understand is how many years it can take to calm the mind toward the silence we can experience :) And that to achieve this calmness/silence it is dedicated toward understanding what we must let go of :) One other "problem" for many is that when they open their eyes after meditation, they go back to the old habits and does not change toward the silence of the mind, so again the mind become like a chatterbox.
The breathing technique is well and good, but it is so much more to understand and to notice. But at the same time "stop trying so hard " :)
Meditation is not difficult when understanding what meditation is. what is difficult is to realize that no matter how hard one try, thoughts will arise in the mind, it is the letting go of clinging to the thought that is difficult, at the beginning of meditation one get to know "observe the thought and make a mental note about it, then let it go" a good advice for beginners. But even this can become an attachment if we do not change the way we "see" the thoughts that arise.
When I went to my Master, I thought ... I studied engineering for 5 years, so to give this a fair shot, I should give it at least 5 years. Then coming to RF some people ask `can you proof to me this and that about spiritual belief (from personal experience)`. That is the difference between science and spirituality most people don´t get, you have to do the time yourself, others can´t do it for you. Google is of no help here.

Surrender, patience, forbearance and perseverance are needed.

Willing to give up old habits you are attached to. Control of the tongue (diet and speech) ... and the rest will follow, because you purify gradually.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When I went to my Master I thought ... I studied engineering for 5 years, so to give this a fair shot, I should give it at least 5 years. Then coming to RF some people ask `can you proof to me this and that about spiritual belief out of experience`. That is the difference between science and spirituality most people don´t get, you have to do the time yourself, others can´t do it for you. Google is of no help here.

Surrender, patience, forbearance and perseverance are needed.

Willing to give up old habits you are attached to. Control of the tongue (diet and speech) ... and the rest will follow, because you purify gradually.
Yes i do agree :)
A few times in my life I spoke with meditation masters who meditated regularly for 50-60 years :) then I realize that my 22 years of meditation practice (not fully regularly either) give me the title of a novice still :D

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I noticed a spelling error in that post, that made the meaning of it fully wrong, Now the word has been changed and the meaning should be correct :)

stvdv

Yes, Both Buddhist and Hindu teaching has good techniques how to calm the mind :) But as you say it is very difficult to still the mind 100% :) So even after half my life of meditation, the mind still wanders away sometimes. But any of the attachments that used to be a daily thing for me has been more easy to let go of the more the mind has become silent :) one see more clear what is good for us and what is not good for us :)

A few times in my life I spoke with meditation masters who meditated regularly for 50-60 years :) then I realize that my 22 years of meditation practice (not fully regularly either) give me the title of a novice still :D

Humility is a great good. I remember Sai Baba telling us, that in previous Yugas the Yogis had to meditate 1000 years to get a glimpse of the Divine. Now, it´s Kali Yuga and the bar is set much lower, so it´s much easier to get Grace. Become totally enlightened is simple (drop EGO), but still not easy.

The Yoga Vasista tells us, that 25% is Right Self Effort, and another 25% is study of Scriptures and the other 50% is Company of the Holy Ones. The link below gives a little glimpse from my favorite Scripture `the Yoga Vasista`. Nice to see, that many things you say, I found in Yoga Vasista. Also in Bible and Koran I find similar things. I love to `see unity (love) in diversity (different Religions)`. Much better than focus on the differences.
(YOGA VASISTHA | seeker's behaviour)

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Humility is a great good. I remember Sai Baba telling us, that in previous Yugas the Yogis had to meditate 1000 years to get a glimpse of the Divine. Now, it´s Kali Yuga and the bar is set much lower, so it´s much easier to get Grace. Become totally enlightened is simple (drop EGO), but not easy.

The Yoga Vasista tells us, that 25% is Right Self Effort, and another 25% is study of Scriptures and the other 50% is Company of the Holy Ones. The link below gives a little glimpse from my favorite Scripture `the Yoga Vasista`. Nice to see, that many things you say, I found in Yoga Vasista. Also in Bible and Koran I find similar things. I love to `see unity (love) in diversity (different Religions)`. Much better than focus on the differences.
(YOGA VASISTHA | seeker's behaviour)
It is good to see that we can unite across the religious practices and agree upon many things, and to see each other's wisdom arise in the discussion :) or should I say conversation :)
I will take a look at the link you added and I know that questions will arise, so in this thread or maybe a new tread it would be interesting to see where the discussion will lead us :)

As you mention, there are similarities in every religious text, but of course also differences, or different ways of teaching the same topic.

Meditation from a Buddhist understanding is not only used to calm/silence the mind but also to open the wisdom eye (the third eye as someone call it) this again make it possible to realize new wisdom within the same teaching, and it also show where in the practice we still lack wisdom to fix it :)

stvdv

and to see each other's wisdom arise in the discussion :) or should I say conversation :)
In India they use the word Satsang (company of Truth); sharing experiences. No debate, just listen, observe, introspect and learn. I really like this concept.

As you mention, there are similarities in every religious text, but of course also differences, or different ways of teaching the same topic.
Masters who gave the Scriptures are the best doctors. They don't give 1 medicine for all or all times. Sometimes of course different people can take same medicine

Meditation from a Buddhist understanding is not only used to calm/silence the mind but also to open the wisdom eye (the third eye as someone call it) this again make it possible to realize new wisdom within the same teaching, and it also show where in the practice we still lack wisdom to fix it :)

Yes, clear voyance etc. is very helpful to discover our own shortcomings and see our challenges we still have not overcome

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In India they use the word Satsang (company of Truth); sharing experiences. No debate, just listen, observe, introspect and learn. I really like this concept.

Masters who gave the Scriptures are the best doctors. They don't give 1 medicine for all or all times. Sometimes of course different people can take same medicine

Yes, clear voyance etc. is very helpful to discover our own shortcomings and see our challenges we still have not overcome
Yes having dharma talk, or listen to others who speak truth even from different religious views has the benefit of teaching us to listen to within, to look within to see where the truth hits us. because if the truth hit like an arrow, it means there is more to work on(letting go of Ego is one of them)

The masters probably in every religion or spiritual practice has the ability to speak on different levels of wisdom at the same time. so even if there are a novice listening and a senior practitioner, both with gain wisdom from the same words spoken by the master :)

The nice thing about clairvoyance or other abilities is that if we speak with someone who actually has developed them, we would not know because they do not show off, and they do not talk about them. So before one develops them our self, we can not really understand what it is.
But we get a clue when we listen to the dharma :)

stvdv

because if the truth hit like an arrow, it means there is more to work on(letting go of Ego is one of them)
Ego is the most tricky one to let go, because "who is there to let go the Ego?". When unenlightened there is only Ego, which will not let go Ego. When enlightened, then there is no Ego:)

Give up attachments to sense gratification is a more practical thing to work on:)

stvdv

The masters probably in every religion or spiritual practice has the ability to speak on different levels of wisdom at the same time. so even if there are a novice listening and a senior practitioner, both with gain wisdom from the same words spoken by the master :)
That's so marvelous about the Scriptures, everytime you study you can go deeper, until you discover the Scripture lies within

stvdv

The nice thing about clairvoyance or other abilities is that if we speak with someone who actually has developed them, we would not know because they do not show off, and they do not talk about them. So before one develops them our self, we can not really understand what it is.
With the exception of Masters of course. They don't show of, but you need to be kind of blind not seeing their abilities:)

But even then, maybe seeing their abilities is also Grace (or Self Effort in previous lives), as there are plenty like the proverbial doubting Thomas.

stvdv

What intrigues me is, that the Scriptures declare "the wise remain silent" and most normal people going around preaching, pretending to be wise, do not really exhibit to be wise.

Buddha stayed in silence under the tree till Self Realized. Only after being Self Realized He started teaching. Seems like a plan to me:)

Sharing ideas and views on the other hand, being humbly aware not being enlightened yet, slowly increases awareness. Until one matures enough to take the final leap (sitting under the Banyon tree, so to speak; sitting.... not thinking of course) :)

At least, all this makes very clear why patience is regarded such a virtue, as only very few reach that state of Buddha in this lifetime.

Many years ago I read in the Bible everything is vanity under the sun; that was one of the arrows you mentioned. More and more I realize how very true this is. Takes a lifetime sometimes to "really get it", even when after reading it the first time, I "almost got it" :):):)

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What intrigues me is, that the Scriptures declare "the wise remain silent" and most normal people going around preaching, pretending to be wise, do not really exhibit to be wise.

Buddha stayed in silence under the tree till Self Realized. Only after being Self Realized He started teaching. Seems like a plan to me:)

Sharing ideas and views on the other hand, being humbly aware not being enlightened yet, slowly increases awareness. Until one matures enough to take the final leap (sitting under the Banyon tree, so to speak; sitting.... not thinking of course) :)

At least, all this makes very clear why patience is regarded such a virtue, as only very few reach that state in this lifetime.

Many years ago I read in the Bible everything is vanity under the sun; that was one of the arrows you mentioned. More and more I realize how very true this is. Takes a lifetime sometimes to "really get it", even when after reading it the first time, I "almost got it" :):):)
Yes, i do agree with you on this 100% :)
When we understand new parts of the dharma, it is so ea to wish to share it with everyone. But as we experience when trying to share wisdom (we get scolded) And we realize that even we thought we knew and understood perfectly, we did not because when we speak, people do not understand.
So yes silence wise way of living :)

stvdv

Yes, i do agree with you on this 100% :)
When we understand new parts of the dharma, it is so ea to wish to share it with everyone. But as we experience when trying to share wisdom (we get scolded) And we realize that even we thought we knew and understood perfectly, we did not because when we speak, people do not understand.
In a weird kind of way, speaking unwise things is the fastest way to learn we were wrong, as others have the chance to correct us

But if we have patience and good introspection, this wisdom will also come to us in silence

So I think it boils down to "just do the best you can". For some it is to learn by meditation, and for others, sitting physical still is even impossible (many have this hyper active syndrome nowadays; quite telling) let alone having peaceful mind and feeling happy alone.

Some might even go crazy if you lock them up in einzelhaft.

Last edited:

stvdv

But as we experience when trying to share wisdom (we get scolded) And we realize that even we thought we knew and understood perfectly, we did not because when we speak, people do not understand.
Very important point. I totally agree. I feel fully responsible for the impact of my words, so I am very reluctant to give advice. I rather stick to general common sense knowledge to share. Mostly sufficient anyway.