• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism and kama?

I am a bit confused on Sikhism's take on the material world, pleasure, gaining wealth, working, vs. asceticism and antimaterialism... As it is not Ascetic, promotes marriage as a desirable end, allows involvement in a military, to me it seems almost like Hinduism, which states that kama/pleasure is a desirable end in life (Not the best goal but not a prohibited goal) - then again it shares with that, the suggestion that the world is really only an illusion, a stepping stone, a thing to be overcome on the journey to God, which is always the real goal. Could anyone clarify the difference, is Sikhism pro-material in anyform, or just antimaterial?

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I am a bit confused on Sikhism's take on the material world, pleasure, gaining wealth, working, vs. asceticism and antimaterialism... As it is not Ascetic, promotes marriage as a desirable end, allows involvement in a military, to me it seems almost like Hinduism, which states that kama/pleasure is a desirable end in life (Not the best goal but not a prohibited goal) - then again it shares with that, the suggestion that the world is really only an illusion, a stepping stone, a thing to be overcome on the journey to God, which is always the real goal. Could anyone clarify the difference, is Sikhism pro-material in anyform, or just antimaterial?

Hi Nathan ,

Sikhi is neither pro material nor its anti , your are true its not Ascetic nor its promote indulgence in Kama , its Simple , balanced ,Middle path

as lotus is not drowned by water and a Duck swim without wetting its wings .

ਜੈਸੇ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਮਲੁ ਨਿਰਾਲਮੁ ਮੁਰਗਾਈ ਨੈ ਸਾਣੇ ॥
The lotus flower floats untouched upon the surface of the water, and the duck swims through the stream;

ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਭਵ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਤਰੀਐ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਾਣੇ ॥
with one's consciousness focused on the Word of the Shabad, one crosses over the terrifying world-ocean. O Nanak, chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
Hi Nathan ,

Sikhi is neither pro material nor its anti , your are true its not Ascetic nor its promote indulgence in Kama , its Simple , balanced ,Middle path

as lotus is not drowned by water and a Duck swim without wetting its wings .

ਜੈਸੇ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਮਲੁ ਨਿਰਾਲਮੁ ਮੁਰਗਾਈ ਨੈ ਸਾਣੇ ॥
The lotus flower floats untouched upon the surface of the water, and the duck swims through the stream;

ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਭਵ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਤਰੀਐ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਾਣੇ ॥
with one's consciousness focused on the Word of the Shabad, one crosses over the terrifying world-ocean. O Nanak, chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

I agree with you...very simple and sweet :) xxx

Sikh

In Sikhism, one strives for truth/God--one truth is that we are human, we cannot change that by becoming Monks. If every person was a Monk or ascetic, humans would die out. A human lives and has children, that is the truth. A person who strives towards materialism/pleasure is not striving towards truth.
An example. One who enjoys eating too much cannot hunt or work if he does so. That means others have to hunt or work on his behalf. That means he has in his love for pleasure of food, enslaved those around him. This causes suffering. Truth is liberating, Truth is God. One who enslaves is ignorant and very far from God.

chinu

chinu
It is very clear in guru granth sahib that:
"Jin bind khoya ratten gavia"
"Jin bind khoya so garab main aya" (i dont know the page no:),
means:
"Bind" means "Seamen"
One who looses the semen looses the diamond in the body,
One who looses the semen comes again in the birth,

I am married, & As due to my personal experinces of meditations, i am sure that one who controls the sex organ can sit on meditation for longer time & sitting on meditation for longer time is the key to sucess.