• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Siddur and Commentary

Dena

I need a Siddur for weekday use at home. I've looked around but I can't decide which would be best for me. I'm wondering if maybe someone (Levite?) has an idea. I know some recommend the Koren Sacks but I'm not sure it's what I really want? Here is what I know.

- I will be using the Siddur to pray at home, without a minyan
- I need the Hebrew along with the English translation
- I do not want a Reform Siddur but Conservative may be more my speed, rather than something Orthodox leaning (but not necessarily)
- I'm not made of money :p

Also, I would like a good Torah Commentary. I know I can find many of them online but I would like to have something in book format. Also, I'm interested in How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now by Kugel. Anyone seen it? Liked it, don't like it?

xkatz

I actually just bought a Koren Sacks siddur for Hannukah myself. I personally like it a lot- the translations seem good (though I haven't really compared it to the Siddur my synagogue uses) and the commentary is from Rabbi Johnathan Sacks who is an excellent Jewish theologian IMO. However, Koren is a Orthodox siddur. If you want a Conservative one you might want to try the one most Conservative synagogues (in the USA) use- Amazon.com: Siddur Sim Shalom : a prayerbook for Shabbat, festivals, and weekdays (9780916219017): Jules Harlow: Books .

With any Siddur, try to make sure it has weekday prayers since a lot don't. Also make sure people say it is easy to read.

Dena

I thought about the Siddur Sim Shalom too. I couldn't figure out if it has everything in English too?

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
...Also, I would like a good Torah Commentary. I know I can find many of them online but I would like to have something in book format. ...
Sorry can't help with the siddur. The most important commentary is of course Rashi, so check out a few, to find the English translation of the Rashi you like best. Many like the Artscroll series. There's a thread around here somewhere on Rashi, but I can't seem to find it.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I need a Siddur for weekday use at home. I've looked around but I can't decide which would be best for me. I'm wondering if maybe someone (Levite?) has an idea. I know some recommend the Koren Sacks but I'm not sure it's what I really want? Here is what I know.

- I will be using the Siddur to pray at home, without a minyan
- I need the Hebrew along with the English translation
- I do not want a Reform Siddur but Conservative may be more my speed, rather than something Orthodox leaning (but not necessarily)
- I'm not made of money

Also, I would like a good Torah Commentary. I know I can find many of them online but I would like to have something in book format. Also, I'm interested in How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now by Kugel. Anyone seen it? Liked it, don't like it?

The Koren Sacks is nice: that might be a very good practical choice. The Birnbaum is also good, though the translation is a bit stilted-- still, his footnotes and sourcing are excellent.

I have to be honest: I am not a huge fan of the Sim Shalom. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly worse siddurim out there (Wings of Prayer, anyone?). But their editing is a bit heavy-handed. I tend to be from the school of thought that says, give me the fullest possible liturgy, and I will do my own picking and choosing about what I do or do not want to say, rather than the school of thought that says, I can't be bothered to examine the liturgy to make choices-- someone make them for me.

That said, however-- the Or Hadash siddur, which is just the Sim Shalom, but accompanied by notes and commentary by Reuven Hammer, is very worth having. That's quite helpful.

The problem is that there are only so many non-Orthodox siddurim with English translation, and most of them have been edited within an inch of their lives, and usually not to their improvement.

My advice: get the Koren Sacks and the Or Hadash, and between the two of them, it should work out.

As for Torah commentary, that's more difficult. There are a lot of those, but it's hard to gauge what is truly more important to have. In the best of all possible worlds, I'd say the JPS translation of the Miqraot Gedolot, but it's not finished yet-- they only have two of the five books out so far. The JPS Torah Commentary is very good, if a little too academic for my tastes, but it's quite expensive, which you may not like.

I guess what I would recommend most, if you're going to go with one Torah commentary for the moment, is Nehama Leibowitz's five volumes Studies in Bere****/Genesis, Studies in Shmot/Exodus, Studies in Vayikra/Leviticus 1 & 2, Studies in Devarim/Deuteronomy. Leibowitz weaves together excerpts from the classical commentators with commentary from the Talmud and even some Hasidic sources, I think, but does so with a fine critical eye.

Regarding How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now, it's not a bad book. If you can forgive me for putting it this way, I tend to find Kugel very dry. I think, off the top of my head, I would rather recommend Marc Zvi Brettler's How To Read The Bible, which I think is much better reading. Or, if you don't mind expanding the field a bit, Barry Holtz's Back To The Sources is an outstanding collection, great for everyone to own.

Rakhel

Artscroll has a siddur that is written in both Hebrew and English. "The Complete Artscroll Siddur"

They have a Sephard, and an Ashkenaz version, though I could not tell you what the difference is.

Whoitbe

I personally doven at chabad houses so I use the chabad siddur, Tehillat Hashem. The Artscroll complete siddur is a very good siddur. It has commentary through out and halachic guides in the back. Prett decent commentary, too. Artscroll generally always has very good commentary in my experience. Idk what the difference between the conservative and standard orthodox siddur is. Reform from what I hear edits and deletes words from prayer for the sake of being gender sensitive. I mean, I guess almost 2000 years and more in some cases isn't good enough for them? Artscroll is good though because you can get interlinear, regular, weekday, Shabbos, etc.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Artscroll has a siddur that is written in both Hebrew and English. "The Complete Artscroll Siddur"

They have a Sephard, and an Ashkenaz version, though I could not tell you what the difference is.

I have sometimes used the Artscroll interlinear siddur to help people learn the service. But I must say that I don't care for it at all. Their translations are both stilted and deeply biased by a very modern Haredi understanding of the words. While their ritual directions are very complete, they also are formulated to conform to a very specific set of Ashkenazi customs. And of course, needless to say, there is no addressing in either liturgy or commentary of the issues of egalitarian language and liturgical theology.

It has its uses, no doubt. But I am not a fan, and would suggest beginning elsewhere.

Whoitbe

I have sometimes used the Artscroll interlinear siddur to help people learn the service. But I must say that I don't care for it at all. Their translations are both stilted and deeply biased by a very modern Haredi understanding of the words. While their ritual directions are very complete, they also are formulated to conform to a very specific set of Ashkenazi customs. And of course, needless to say, there is no addressing in either liturgy or commentary of the issues of egalitarian language and liturgical theology.

It has its uses, no doubt. But I am not a fan, and would suggest beginning elsewhere.

Yeah, but Ashkenaz Jewry was always pretty much what you might term "charedi". In fact, all organized ashkenaz Jewry was "charedi" until the German englightenment era. Each town, shtetl, whatever had it's Rav or Rebbe and followed his poskening. Why does the "charedi translation" bother you?

Levite

Higher and Higher
Yeah, but Ashkenaz Jewry was always pretty much what you might term "charedi". In fact, all organized ashkenaz Jewry was "charedi" until the German englightenment era. Each town, shtetl, whatever had it's Rav or Rebbe and followed his poskening. Why does the "charedi translation" bother you?

Actually, the average Jewish experience in Ashkenaz, and elsewhere, for most of Jewish history, is less what we today would call Haredi, and more what in Israel they refer to among the Sefardim and Mizrahim as Shomrei Masoret. They consider themselves observant, they are strict about some mitzvot, and lax about others, without much official halakhic process; but if there are questions of communal importance, they will always defer to their Rav.

I've done quite a bit of reading in the correspondence of Jews in the period of the Rishonim, from the Genizah and from elsewhere. It seems to demonstrate pretty convincingly that what one can read between the lines of many teshuvot from the Middle Ages and Renaissance is probably true: that while rabbis have consistently asked and answered questions of halakhah with minute detail, quite often, amcha (the mass of the people) were far less punctilious about details, and much more observant in broad strokes; and they tolerated a great deal of variation in halakhic interpretation, ritual practice, communal standards, and variations in nuscha'ot (liturgical rites)-- far more than any Haredi communities would tolerate today.

That said though, what I really don't care for in modern Haredi treatments of liturgy, theology, or halakhah, is that they have an entirely ahistoric tendency to say "this is how it has always been," when, in fact, liturgy, theology, and halakhah have all evolved and changed considerably over the past 2000 years. Halakhah especially has been far more vigorous and flexible than Haredim have permitted it to be over the past 200 years or so. For example, while there has certainly always been a guideline that, if possible one should pasken hilkheta kevatrei (according to the most recent authoritative halakhic responsum), for most of our history that was a guideline, not an ironclad rule. And this notion that our halakhic authority degenerates and weakens with each succeeding generation is completely modern. While the Rishonim, for example, certain would have hesitated to change the psak of a Gaon, it was known to happen. It is only the Acharonim who began to get fidgety about the authority of post-Talmudic rabbis prior to themselves, and only Acharei Acharonim (late Acharonim) that have come to believe that merely being born earlier automatically qualifies one as a better dayan (judge).

Likewise, there is a perverse notion I have seen amongst many Haredim that the matbe'a tefillah (liturgy) of the current nuscha'ot is somehow inviolable, cannot be altered in any way, as though it had been handed down from Sinai, and anyone who does so is heretical and not Orthodox. Yet this is not so. There are relatively few ironclad rules in halakhah about what cannot be changed in the matbe'a tefillah, and many learned rabbis and lay Jews have made variations, altered, added, taken away, and otherwise created variant nuscha'ot without harm or impropriety over the years, long before there even were movements.

I don't care for Haredi Judaism, because it is deliberately rejectionist of its own history, and takes the halakhic, liturgical, and ritual choices of previous generations of Jews whatever it doesn't happen to like, and pretends they never existed. Haredi Judaism embraces strictness for no good reason, merely for the sake of strictness: It criticizes any halakhic choices that are kulot (leniencies), while itself making equally radical halakhic choices about chumrot (stringencies) that are said to be beyond question. Haredi Judaism, in its strictness, its rejection of history, its refusal to permit halakhah and liturgy and practice to evolve naturally, as our system was built to do, has become a movement of nevalim bi'reshut hatorah (those who follow the letter of the law, yet do so in a way that does not curtail unethical behavior). It oppresses women; it is unmerciful toward gay and lesbian Jews; it is frequently racist; it fosters poor care for the elements of kashrut about cruelty to animals, while at the same time choosing to emphasize ridiculous kashrut chumrot that nobody should ever be held to (washing broccoli in bleach, anyone?); and it turns a blind eye toward the unethical business practices of Haredi Jews who exploit non-Jewish workers and cheat the fair business practice laws of the US and Israel. Not only that, but they subvert and ignore the principle of machloket l'shem shamayim (dispute for the sake of Heaven), and they relentlessly spread sinat chinam about non-Haredi Jews, deepening and widening the hurts of Am Yisrael, instead of trying to create shalom bayit (domestic peace) in Beit Yaakov.

I'm not saying that each and every Haredi individual does all these things: I've met some who don't, who are really good, open, tolerant, critically-thinking people, who simply choose to live a Haredi lifestyle. But the majority of the Haredi movement doesn't seem to be that way. It seems to be what I described above.

So I don't usually recommend their materials to anyone I teach or to any of my friends and acquaintances.