• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shouldn't the Trinity include Mary?

Theweirdtophat

I never understood why it was called the Father The Son and the Holy Spirit. I always felt Mary should have been included considering she is supposed to be sinless to Catholics and gave birth to the avatar of God.

I feel like there's no balance when women are taken out of the picture. and monotheistic faiths tend to be heavily male based. I never thought God or the creator was a man or woman but more of an it. But even then, in the trinity, I always thought it would make more sense to call it The Father, The Son and the Mother or The Father, The Mother and the Child. But then I guess they wouldn't be so monotheistic. Even then I thought it'd make more sense that way.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I never understood why it was called the Father The Son and the Holy Spirit. I always felt Mary should have been included considering she is supposed to be sinless to Catholics and gave birth to the avatar of God.
That would be a quadrinity or something. Even Christians have limits. Three is the maximum.

I am not sure why.
Tom

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't the Holy Spirit arguably female? I've seen information on that but it's been a while so I cant remember.

Mary wouldn't be part of the trinity because she isn't God, according to the story.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

"ABBA the Supernal Father (and male aspect of Elohim), AIMA the Supernal Mother (and female aspect of Elohim), and ZAUIR ANPIN the Microprosopus (the revealed aspect of God)"

Last edited by a moderator:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Mary isn't God, she is a created creature just like any other human being. (Albeit preserved from original sin due to her role as the Mother of God). Further Jesus isn't an avatar, he is God completely, before all ages.

I feel like there's no balance when women are taken out of the picture. and monotheistic faiths tend to be heavily male based.
What you feel is irrelevant. God has revealed himself in the masculine. Secondly, the highest being in all creation, who transcends even the Seraphim is a woman. Thus Catholicism encourages deep devotion to her. Not only that, many of our greatest saints are women.

I really don't know what you mean by "balance". It seems more of a buzzword than anything else.

Theweirdtophat

Mary isn't God, she is a created creature just like any other human being. (Albeit preserved from original sin due to her role as the Mother of God). Further Jesus isn't an avatar, he is God completely, before all ages.

What you feel is irrelevant. God has revealed himself in the masculine. Secondly, the highest being in all creation, who transcends even the Seraphim is a woman. Thus Catholicism encourages deep devotion to her. Not only that, many of our greatest saints are women.

I really don't know what you mean by "balance". It seems more of a buzzword than anything else.

Neither is Jesus. That's even said so in the Bible. He never said he was God and even told people to worship god and that god is above him. If the Father and Son are equal, why would he say God is above him? But there are LOTS of things that were taken out of the original bible. Many have their interpretation of Jesus. I think he was in line of King David but not the Son of God or God himself. He did however have secret knowledge and powers many people did not know about.

In the trinity, he kind of is an avatar of God. He's supposed to be God in human form as he is God the Son. He isn't supposed to be literally a son of God but a form of God., like the Holy Spirit

Ok, why did he reveal himself to the masculine? Or did people assume he was masculine. If god supposed to be beyond everyone's comprehension, it'd make more sense for him to be neither a man or a woman.

I am referring to balance. Such as a family. A family most often works best with a mother and a father. There is a reason for that. The child receives both strength from different sexes. How can society achieve balance when they worship only one male god? Why leave out the female aspect of it. Without both men and women, we would not exist.

Sonofason

Isn't the Holy Spirit arguably female? I've seen information on that but it's been a while so I cant remember.

Mary wouldn't be part of the trinity because she isn't God, according to the story.
"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

The Bible is certainly in agreement. God cannot be so narrowly defined so as to simply define him as male.

Lets consider the Holy Spirit:

In the book of Isaiah, Chapter 11, we read what appears to be an unfolding of the Holy Spirit…

"And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
And the Spirit of the Lord (YHWH) shall rest upon him…
The Spirit of Wisdom
The Spirit of Understanding
The Spirit of Counsel
The Spirit of Might
The Spirit of Knowledge
and The Spirit of the Fear of the Lord..."

In other places of the Bible we read such words as:
"Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding."

Theweirdtophat

I thought Mary was also called The Queen of Heaven according to Catholics, Orthodox Christians and Anglicans and other groups. That alone should let her become part of the trinity.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I feel like there's no balance when women are taken out of the picture. and monotheistic faiths tend to be heavily male based. I never thought God or the creator was a man or woman but more of an it. But even then, in the trinity, I always thought it would make more sense to call it The Father, The Son and the Mother or The Father, The Mother and the Child. But then I guess they wouldn't be so monotheistic. Even then I thought it'd make more sense that way.

No. Only because Mary isn't god. Being sinless doesn't make one god. *cough cough* Jesus included.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Neither is Jesus. That's even said so in the Bible. He never said he was God and even told people to worship god and that god is above him. If the Father and Son are equal, why would he say God is above him?
Jesus is identified as God, quite explicitly. John 1:1 for a start. And we know this Word is Jesus as it also states that the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. John 1:14

But those who would deny the divinity of Christ will continue to tie themselves in knots to do so. As they have for two-thousand years.

But there are LOTS of things that were taken out of the original bible.
No, there really wasn't. The formation of the canon is well understood and information about it is available to you with a few minutes of googling.

In the trinity, he kind of is an avatar of God. He's supposed to be God in human form as he is God the Son. He isn't supposed to be literally a son of God but a form of God., like the Holy Spirit
No, the persons are not mere forms of God, but are distinct from each other. God exists as three distinct and eternal persons, each wholly God. What you're advocating is a heresy known as Modalism.

Ok, why did he reveal himself to the masculine? Or did people assume he was masculine. If god supposed to be beyond everyone's comprehension, it'd make more sense for him to be neither a man or a woman.
The Son incarnated as a male, and he refers to the Father as just that, a father. But you misunderstand if you think Christians claim that God is a man. God of cannot be thought of as "a man" unless you're specifically talking about the incarnated Son.

I am referring to balance. Such as a family. A family most often works best with a mother and a father. There is a reason for that. The child receives both strength from different sexes. How can society achieve balance when they worship only one male god? Why leave out the female aspect of it. Without both men and women, we would not exist.
Again, God is neither "a man" or "a woman" but he is to be understood in the masculine because that is how God has revealed himself. And God does have a mother, the Virgin Mary or Theotokos who bore the incarnated Word. But she is not to be identified with God, as she is a created creature of God.

And our need for the feminine is not at all neglected, as we have a spiritual mother whom we can always approach with prayer. And like any good mother she continually intercedes for us her children. But worship, is due to God alone.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

Further Jesus isn't an avatar, he is God completely, before all ages.
He's an avatar. It's what avatars are: gods who look like some sort of mortal thing for the lifespan of such thing and then goes back to being just gods.

God has revealed himself in the masculine.
Archaeology and the bible both agree Yahweh had a consort.

I think he was in line of King David but not the Son of God or God himself.
Lots of people probably were. David was a playah. :)

And when you combine that with a xenophobic need for racial purity, you get a very limited gene pool. :)

Jesus is identified as God, quite explicitly. John 1:1 for a start.
But to prove it, you need someone other than John, preferably all throughout the OT that decisively calls Jesus God. John just strikes me as a love-worn fanboy.

And we know this Word is Jesus as it also states that the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. John 1:14
Now find it in Genesis.

But those who would deny the divinity of Christ will continue to tie themselves in knots to do so. As they have for two-thousand years.
It's not that hard when you read other authors besides John and maybe Paul.

No, there really wasn't. The formation of the canon is well understood and information about it is available to you with a few minutes of googling.
It's also understood that the bible itself references documents we don't have, so we DON'T have "the whole thing."

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it shouldn't. You have completely missed the idea of the Trinity in orthodox Christianity, I'm afraid.