• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should YouTube take down Catholic videos desecrating the Eucharist? The church demands them gone.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
While understandably upsetting for Catholics.

Should the Catholic Church dictate what should be removed from social media like YouTube based on its policy of hate and bigotry?

AMERICA NEEDS FATIMA

Skwim

Veteran Member

Should the Catholic Church dictate what should be removed from social media like YouTube based on its policy of hate and bigotry?

AMERICA NEEDS FATIMA
Well, it isn't so much a dictate as a request. And, of course, the outcome rests with youTube. My guess is that it will stay.

Flame

Beware
Considering how all over the place Youtube has been in deleting videos in the past; I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Srivijaya

I think that along with freedom comes responsibility. Responsibility to consider the effect of our speech on others. Right speech is essentially measured. It doesn't mean you can't disagree but it does mean that your opponent is due a minimum of respect.

Take the Japanese Logan Paul suicide vid, or that one, or any number of such 'expressions'. All 100% free speech / 0% responsibility. There's nothing to be gained by either, apart from offloading unnecessary and hurtful stuff on other people, just for the sheer fun of it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

AMERICA NEEDS FATIMA

Google being a private company, I imagine only if they feel there be a significant enough financial impact if they didn't.

If enough major advertisers threaten to boycott Google.

That's seems unlikely though. I'd think the threat is the reverse. Google is so pervasive in advertising the bigger threat is for Google to no longer advertise your product.

Kind of scary how subjugated we are to the morality of a private company.

Twilight Hue

It depends. Does YouTube allow hate speech?
That's the grey area.

They have policies regarding content but I have the impression it's over monetization rather than having them taken down out right but they do have algorithms that also isolate videos that are deemed over the top that are demonetized and people cant comment. There are also excluded from general search engine results.

I think it's censorship but I do admit there some videos that get to the point where it shouldn't be generally viewed such as explicit graphic or sexual content.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Here's the video

But I don't see any hate or hate speech..

Literally burning what Catholics believe to be the body and blood of Jesus Himself, something that would get a Catholic excommunicated for life. An attack on Catholicism doesn't get much more direct or insulting. It's more offensive to Catholics than burning a Qur'an or drawing the Prophet Muhammad would be to Muslims.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

AMERICA NEEDS FATIMA
I don't believe any church should have the right to dictate what should be allowed on social media. If I did, I'd say that there are similar videos taken in Mormon temples that the LDS Church should be able to insist were taken down. Unfortunately, a lot of people have very poor taste and find a great deal of satisfaction in making light of what other people see as sacred. Look at the Broadway musical, "The Book of Mormon." I've seen it and thought it was funny, but it was also very crude and insulting. Did the LDS Church go ballistic when it came out? Not at all.

Twilight Hue

Well, it isn't so much a dictate as a request. And, of course, the outcome rests with youTube. My guess is that it will stay.
Well they were polite about it.

But the petition didn't ask for it to be taken down they wanted the petition to tell the CEO to take it down.

"Please Tell YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki To Take Down These Videos"

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think that along with freedom comes responsibility. Responsibility to consider the effect of our speech on others. Right speech is essentially measured. It doesn't mean you can't disagree but it does mean that your opponent is due a minimum of respect.
Then can I decide what this minimum of respect is?

Phantasman

AMERICA NEEDS FATIMA
I'm sure that there are a lot more than just the Catholics that would like to censor YT of things that they don't like (or agree with).

If I don't like something I see, I just don't watch it. I am not a crusader of censorship for any grown adult.

On a personal note, this is just the same techniques used by the RCC since it's inception. People who did not see their doctrine were called "heretics" and their books burned. Many receiving death.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

AMERICA NEEDS FATIMA

I really don't see why its even a thing. The only way to get a host is from a priest administering communion. You either have to attend a mass and proceed through communion or be in a hospice or hospital say your catholic and ask for communion. Then your going to video yourself destroying it why?