• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should you tell your child Santa is real?

Re-Horakhty

Here's an interesting fact:

My mom always told me that Santa wasn't real. She took me to church, had me pray, but even as a kid I thought god was a silly idea.

However, my younger siblings were told Santa was real. They were taken to church just as much, prayed just as much, but they are all very theistic.

Obviously these things aren't necessarily related to each other in any legitimate psychological way, but it's interesting to think about.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Here's an interesting fact:

My mom always told me that Santa wasn't real. She took me to church, had me pray, but even as a kid I thought god was a silly idea.

However, my younger siblings were told Santa was real. They were taken to church just as much, prayed just as much, but they are all very theistic.

Obviously these things aren't necessarily related to each other in any legitimate psychological way, but it's interesting to think about.

Interesting idea. Maybe we should perform a study to see whether people who are told Santa exists are more likely to be theistic in later life in comparison to those who are told Santa doesn't exist.

Scott C.

Just one guy
As a kid I enjoyed believing in Santa. As I grew older, I was proud of the fact that I was now "old enough" to know the inside secret. I had so much fun with this as a kid, that I wanted to share the Santa tradition with my kids. I like the tradition. If someone had a bad childhood experience with Santa or was not raised in the Santa culture, I can understand why they would be skeptical of the tradition.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
As a kid I enjoyed believing in Santa. As I grew older, I was proud of the fact that I was now "old enough" to know the inside secret. I had so much fun with this as a kid, that I wanted to share the Santa tradition with my kids. I like the tradition. If someone had a bad childhood experience with Santa or was not raised in the Santa culture, I can understand why they would be skeptical of the tradition.

Yes Santa is a tradition. A tradition outside of Scripture.
Is Jesus the god of Christmas, or is Santa the god of Christmas ?

The religious leaders of Jesus day liked their traditions.
[Matthew chapter 23; 15 v 9; Mark 7 vs 1-7,13]
Liking their religious traditions outside of Scripture did not make those customs or traditions as Scriptural but unscriptural.

Of course Christmas is fun. Who would celebrate Christmas if Christmas meant sticking pins up and down your arms and legs?
Did Jesus teach that 'fun' was the basis for true worship ?________

Jupimartian

Ex-Protestant Christian
I was told the truth about Santa when I was...I forgot which age...and I was angry and sad and wish my family hadn't told me, lol. Major disappointment. :|

My parents never told me about Santa, so I always knew where my presents came from. I guess it was also smart on their part, because I knew to ask for something reasonable and I wasn't as disappointed if I didn't get what I wanted.

For us, the gift giving was just part of the holiday tradition.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I believed in Santa, up to a certain age, and my girls do too. My wife would KILL me if I told them the truth in this case, and to be honest, I'm fine with lying to them. I lie to them about all sorts of stuff, and I am always (being completely honest) suspicious of people who claim they don't. What you lie about is what's important. There may be some people out there reading this who NEVER lie, but I've never met such a person, assuming you include lies of omission, etc. Most people think I'm pretty brutally honest with my girls on most things, but I would admit to lying to them on occasion.

The other day our friends kid was over and looking for my daughter (who'd snuck off to bed). I told him she'd turned into a pumpkin, and being a literal kinda kid, he spent the next couple of minutes checking the fridge with a bemused expression. My older daughter, on the other hand, would roll her eyes at me, and tell me I was being silly again.

So...am I teaching her to lie, or to be skeptical?

Meh...anyways. My oldest (4) still believes in Santa, Easter Bunny, and fairies. Each time she tells me about the fairies, I ask her questions about them, have a conversation. Where do they live...what do they eat? It's fun, we bond, and she's a bright kid who'll work out fairies aren't real. The day she asks me 'Is Santa real?' is the day I tell her no. Until then...*shrugs*...I lie to her.