• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should you believe the trinity doctrine?

anonymous9887

bible reader
I should say astronomical accuracies the are my favorite. job 26:7 the earth hangs on nothing and he stretches out the skies the universe continually expands Job 9:8 you can search it there is plenty and the so called inaccuracies can be debunked easy.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
So you take a poetic description of "God's greatness" in Job 26 that talks about the earth's sky and apply it to the cosmos? Then in Job 9 you interpret that as an expanding universe? Again, it says nothing of the cosmos. It is talking about natural events such as earthquakes, eclipses and hurricanes. Sorry, but you are grasping at straws and taking things way out of context.

Try again.

anonymous9887

bible reader
So you take a poetic description of "God's greatness" in Job 26 that talks about the earth's sky and apply it to the cosmos? Then in Job 9 you interpret that as an expanding universe? Again, it says nothing of the cosmos. It is talking about natural events such as earthquakes, eclipses and hurricanes. Sorry, but you are grasping at straws and taking things way out of context.

Try again.
job 26:7 the earth hangs on nothing. what more do you need to hear. he could of said the world which lies on an elephant or which god is holding but he said hangs on nothing. Again its scripture interpreting scripture because we need to know which heavens he is referring to because the bible mentions the heavens of the heavens. 1 kings 8:27

lostwanderingsoul

Back to the idea of the trinity. There most definitely is a Father and there most definitely is a Son and the Father most definitely has a spirit. The question becomes whether or not this spirit is a third "person". Compare it to Harry Potter and his magic wand. Harry waves his wand and something happens. It is not a separate person but just a magic power. God the Father blinks an eye or waves a finger and something happens. It is not a separate "person" but just a power or spirit that God has. If you want to count the Father and the Son and this power or spirit as being a trinity that can be one way of looking at it but it is not three "persons" any more than Harry Potter and his magic wand are two "persons." God's spirit is described as a dove or a rushing wind and is said to be poured out on people. Can you pour out a "person? Can a person be like a dove or a wind? But God's power or spirit can take many forms.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I have looked at all those so called scientific inaccuracies,
And . . . . . . . . . . . . . .?

But just to refresh your memory.

Leviticus 11:
20 “‘All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. 21 There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. 22 Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper.
THIS IS A SCIENTIFIC INACCURACY
Locusts, katydids, crickets, and grasshoppers all walk on six legs. Watch HERE

23 But all other flying insects that have four legs you are to regard as unclean.
All
insects have six legs. It's one of their defining anatomical characteristics.

Matthew 13:
31 He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”
There are quite a few seeds that are smaller than the mustard seed. The orchid seed being one.

1 Kings 7:
23 He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it.​

These figures do not equate to pi.

Leviticus 11:
6 The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you.​

Rabbits don't produce cud to chew.

AND EVEN IF YOU NEVER REPLY TO THIS POST IT'S GOOD TO REMIND FOLK OF SOME OF THE BIBLE'S SHORTCOMINGS

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
I personally have read the scriptures and I just cannot read the trinity in the bible. why should we believe it?

Haven't you ever heard the Gospel? Without the Trinity there is only a warmed over Judaism and not Christianity. Orif one insisted that warmed over Judaism is Christianity then I am a Paracletian instead.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well, just as you, a Jehovah's Witness, are told not to believe it, those of other denominations are told to. So that's why a person should or should not believe it: it's what they're told to do. Now is either reason rational? Not in the least.

I believe in the Trinity because it is true not because I am told to believe in it. (Actually one church called me on the carpet for my beliefs about the Trinity that didn't match their beliefs) I believe Jw's usually believe what they are taught because they are brainwashed to think that way.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe in the Trinity because it is true not because I am told to believe in it. (Actually one church called me on the carpet for my beliefs about the Trinity that didn't match their beliefs) I believe Jw's usually believe what they are taught because they are brainwashed to think that way.
Just why do you believe it's true?

Skwim

Veteran Member
where does it say "trinity" in the Bible?
"Scripture contains neither the word Trinity, nor an expressly formulated doctrine of the Trinity. Rather, according to the Christian theology, it "bears witness to" the activity of a God who can only be understood in trinitarian terms. The doctrine did not take its definitive shape until late in the fourth century. During the intervening period, various tentative solutions, some more and some less satisfactory were proposed. Trinitarianism contrasts with nontrinitarian positions which include Binitarianism (one deity in two persons, or two deities), Unitarianism (one deity in one person, analogous to Jewish interpretation of the Shema and Muslim belief in Tawhid), Oneness Pentecostalism or Modalism (one deity manifested in three separate aspects)."
Source: Wikipedia

The nature of god (its trinitarian form) only came out of much debate and was voted into being in 381 AD at the Council of Constantinople.

"The council adopted a statement that translates into English as, in part: “We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible; and in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages . . . And we believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceeds from the Father, who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, who spoke by the prophets . . .” The statement also affirmed belief “in one holy, catholic [meaning in this context universal, whole or complete] and apostolic Church . . .”

With this declaration in 381, which would become known as the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed, the Trinity as generally understood today became the official belief and teaching concerning the nature of God."
source

All of which indicates that if the vote had gone the other way Muffled wouldn't be believing in the trinity.​

Last edited:

anonymous9887

bible reader
ok so for one this scripture does not make sense if jesus is god.
for example Luke 18:18,19 someone calls jesus good teacher and jesus at this point according to Trinitarians is both god and man. while being both god and man jesus says why do you call "me" good no one is good but god clearly separating himself from being god.
ephesians 1:17 the god of our lord jesus christ
John 20:17 to your god and my god
revelation 3:12 jesus speaking: I will make him a pillar in the temple of "my god"
1 Corinthians 8:6 one god the father
1 Corinthians 11:3 the head of the Christ is god
1 Corinthians 15:23-27 god subjected all things to the christ
ephesians 4:5,6 the father is greater than all in all

anonymous9887

bible reader

Leviticus 11:
20 “‘All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. 21 There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. 22 Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper.

23 But all other flying insects that have four legs you are to regard as unclean.
All insects have six legs. It's one of their defining anatomical characteristics.

Matthew 13:
31 He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”
There are quite a few seeds that are smaller than the mustard seed. The orchid seed being one.

1 Kings 7:
23 He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it.​

Leviticus 11:
6 The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you.​

AND EVEN IF YOU NEVER REPLY TO THIS POST IT'S GOOD TO REMIND FOLK OF SOME OF THE BIBLE'S SHORTCOMINGS
ok is unreasonable to think that the writer had no idea that grasshoppers have 6 legs so therefore walking on all fours is an expression .

anonymous9887

bible reader

Leviticus 11:

All insects have six legs. It's one of their defining anatomical characteristics.

Matthew 13:

1 Kings 7:

Leviticus 11:

so you just mentioning that one scripture without doing further research shows me that you do not research before bringing a point. so people that get convinced with your point probably should do more research and if they don't they don't care enough

anonymous9887

bible reader

Leviticus 11:

Matthew 13:

1 Kings 7:

Leviticus 11:

the illustration of the mustard seed is jesus giving an illustaration of the seeds the people of galilee could familiarize with. It was the tiniest seed known in Israel. jesus wanted to speak to them with an object they were familiar with. what if he had mentioned the orchard seed, then his illustration would not have made sense to them, or would have thrown them off.

lostwanderingsoul

not to change the subject but Jesus said He spoke in parables so everyone would NOT understand. only certain people were given the ability to see His meaning

Skwim

Veteran Member
ok is unreasonable to think that the writer had no idea that grasshoppers have 6 legs so therefore walking on all fours is an expression .
Yes, it is unreasonable. And in any case, most Christians believe the Bible, if not "written by god," was at least divinely inspired so as to be inerrant.

so you just mentioning that one scripture without doing further research shows me that you do not research before bringing a point. so people that get convinced with your point probably should do more research and if they don't they don't care enough.
?????

In any case, just which "one" scripture are you talking about? And what research should people be doing so as not to be convinced of what I just said?

the illustration of the mustard seed is jesus giving an illustaration of the seeds the people of galilee could familiarize with. It was the tiniest seed known in Israel. jesus wanted to speak to them with an object they were familiar with. what if he had mentioned the orchard seed, then his illustration would not have made sense to them, or would have thrown them off.
It makes no difference that it may have been "the tiniest seed known in Israel." The Bible doesn't qualify it as such or in any other way. It flat out says "Though it is the smallest of all seeds," which is plainly incorrect. If one is going to start second guessing stuff in the bible, qualifying it so as to make sense or fit their theology then everything in the Bible is open to personal re-interpretation. Now, this is fine with me. Do whatever you want with its words, just don't try convincing people that your particular re-interpretation was handed down by god, or is the only correct one.

not to change the subject but Jesus said He spoke in parables so everyone would NOT understand. only certain people were given the ability to see His meaning
Irrelevant.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
job 26:7 the earth hangs on nothing. what more do you need to hear. he could of said the world which lies on an elephant or which god is holding but he said hangs on nothing. Again its scripture interpreting scripture because we need to know which heavens he is referring to because the bible mentions the heavens of the heavens. 1 kings 8:27

:facepalm:

It is obvious that you have your own little interpretation of poetry and metaphors. Unless you study Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, you will not understand what the Bible is talking about in context. Heavens = cosmos in many regards.