• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Women be Held Accountable for Men's Sexual Feelings?

Should women be held accountable for men's sexual feelings towards them?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Mirrored sunglasses are popular with guys on Bondi Beach.
Some women have told me "looking is free".
I always thought us Americans were kind of prudish when it comes to the reality of sexual attraction.
Prudery is seeing a vigorous revival it seems.

Deidre

Words like "blame" are not appropriate. I recently had a very long discussion about this on another site about karma. My views are not popular and engender (no pun intended) a lot of emotional reaction. Evolution in a great part is responsible for how we act and react. Men are preprogrammed to respond to the female form. It's this hardwiring which perpetuates the species. So the way women dress did not determine that but it can trigger that response. That's all I'm saying.

But, it's very much a human response. And I think that religion creates a lot of unnecessary hang ups over just being human. Punishing people for things that are just byproducts of being human. Causing people to feel guilty over just being human. And making it sound like if a woman dresses like a nun, she is somehow more virtuous than someone who dresses in a short skirt, and heels. It isn't the outside that matters, it is the inside. God looks at our hearts...and that is what matters. I'm not saying you don't agree with that, but I'm just saying why I don't like judging people by how they're dressed.

I do understand your point though. :)

nazz

Doubting Thomas
But, it's very much a human response. And I think that religion creates a lot of unnecessary hang ups over just being human. Punishing people for things that are just byproducts of being human. Causing people to feel guilty over just being human. And making it sound like if a woman dresses like a nun, she is somehow more virtuous than someone who dresses in a short skirt, and heels. It isn't the outside that matters, it is the inside. God looks at our hearts...and that is what matters. I'm not saying you don't agree with that, but I'm just saying why I don't like judging people by how they're dressed.

Right. It's not about judging. I'm not doing that.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I think loose cotton fabric is cooling in the summer and covers well. That would seem to answer it, don't you think, madam.

Depends on the fabric. Some women might even be allergic to that particular fabric. There's a reason we wear swim suits which are revealing at the beach. (Unless you go to a nude beach, I suppose.) That sun is bloody hot, mate! Plus differing countries will have different "types" of heat. Where I live heat is usually accompanied by humidity. Which means you sweat a lot during summer. Sometimes without it being a sunny day even! Which means more revealing types of clothing, like singlets, are often a better choice for some people. Unless you wish to spray your entire body with antiperspirants. Or have several cold showers during the day!

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
lovejoy-think-of-the-children-16nov131.jpg

Haha I totally read that in her annoying high pitched voice!

In any case, where I live children go to Nude Beaches or live in Nudist Colonies and no one bats an eye. Not a single solidarity child has ever been traumatized by such events. Actually this reminds me of an Onion article after a "wardrobe malfunction" occurred during the Superbowl or something. It basically said that millions of American children were scarred for life but that children from other parts of the world like Europe or Australia they just shrugged and moved on with their lives. Maybe they weren't far from the truth after all? lol!

maggie2

Christian Blogger Swears Off Leggings in Order to Honor God

Should women be held accountable for men's sexual feelings? Why or why not?

Should men be held accountable for women's sexual feelings? That's just as silly a question as your original one.

As human beings we are responsible for our actions, no one else is. If you mean should you blame a woman if she looks sensual and some guy gets aroused then the answer in NO. As I stated earlier, we each are responsible for our own self and the words we speak and the actions we take. Ever hear tell of walking away??

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Should men be held accountable for women's sexual feelings? That's just as silly a question as your original one.

As human beings we are responsible for our actions, no one else is. If you mean should you blame a woman if she looks sensual and some guy gets aroused then the answer in NO. As I stated earlier, we each are responsible for our own self and the words we speak and the actions we take. Ever hear tell of walking away??

I'm just curious have you ever found yourself saying "Wow, the smell of that food is making me so hungry!"

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
If a person voluntarily ventures into public dressed in a way that they are aware their cultural norms indicate is titillating (and thus likely to elicit titillation in observers) then - whilst I don't know if "accountability" is really appropriate - this person is implicitly agreeing to at the very least tolerate the idea that they may be looked upon in that way.

But realistically, by going out in public at all, you are agreeing to be observed by other people and subject to their many and varied thoughts and feelings.

Of course, even with this awareness if any observers act on that feeling violently or rudely or with harassment then the responsibility lies entirely with those acting, since controlling ones own actions and impulses is rightly expected as part of being an adult human in society.

But in general I would say, if you don't like being ogled in public, leave your shirt on so I can't see your rippling abs and stop wearing those "package enhancing" shorts you love so much.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
You are about to go outside right now and are considering what to wear. Bearing in mind that the there are women as well as homosexual and bisexual men walking on the streets you are going to, what are you going to wear so that you are considerate to them?
The general idea is that you don't show the shape nor form of your body to others when in public, in my opinion. I think Islam has it right, just my opinion.

Robert.Evans

The human body is beautiful, and it isn't my fault if I'm wearing yoga pants in public, and a man's thoughts leap to viewing me as a human receptacle for his...um...thoughts. :rolleyes:

Why are women always getting tagged in religion, with being responsible for what men do? Sigh.
It is about respecting one another I guess ;)

Robert.Evans

Though God judges the heart, which is inner, does not the clothes and actions of the person depict what is going on in the inner? If one follows God, and does not wish to be a burden to others, is it not correct to think of their feelings and how you might effect them, and that includes how you dress? ;)

Robert.Evans

Depends on the fabric. Some women might even be allergic to that particular fabric. There's a reason we wear swim suits which are revealing at the beach. (Unless you go to a nude beach, I suppose.) That sun is bloody hot, mate! Plus differing countries will have different "types" of heat. Where I live heat is usually accompanied by humidity. Which means you sweat a lot during summer. Sometimes without it being a sunny day even! Which means more revealing types of clothing, like singlets, are often a better choice for some people. Unless you wish to spray your entire body with antiperspirants. Or have several cold showers during the day!
There is another answer, and that is don't go to the beach. Just saying. It would depend on whether you consider how you might effect someone else, as a man or woman, and that depends on your own interpretation of scripture of course. But ultimately, it is He who we answer to.

There are other materials that people are not allergic to.

Robert.Evans

I agree, responsible for our own actions. But that would include thinking of others wouldn't it? ;)

NulliuSINverba

Bit over the top I think. And not really in tune with reality.

As a public service, you ought to explain your version reality to the Pope. Apparently, he's also "not really in tune" with it. Observe:

"I have been deeply disturbed by the information which has come to light regarding the abuse of children and vulnerable young people by members of the Church in Ireland, particularly by priests and religious. I can only share in the dismay and the sense of betrayal that so many of you have experienced on learning of these sinful and criminal acts and the way Church authorities in Ireland dealt with them." ~ PASTORAL LETTER OF THE HOLY FATHER POPE BENEDICT XVI TO THE CATHOLICS OF IRELAND

"[The Holy Father] assures all concerned that the Church will continue to follow this grave matter with the closest attention in order to understand better how these shameful events came to pass and how best to develop effective and secure strategies to prevent any recurrence." ~ PRESS RELEASE OF THE HOLY SEE PRESS OFFICE ON THE MEETING OF THE HOLY FATHER, BENEDICT XVI, WITH REPRESENTATIVES OF THE IRISH EPISCOPAL CONFERENCE AND SENIOR OFFICIALS OF THE ROMAN CURIA, 11 DECEMBER 2009

"Another matter which has received much attention in recent months, and which seriously undermines the moral credibility of Church leaders, is the shameful abuse of children and young people by priests and religious." ~ MEETING WITH THE BISHOPS OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND WALES, ADDRESS OF HIS HOLINESS BENEDICT XVI

"It is in the context of this hope born of God’s love and fidelity that I acknowledge the pain which the Church in America has experienced as a result of the sexual abuse of minors. No words of mine could describe the pain and harm inflicted by such abuse. It is important that those who have suffered be given loving pastoral attention." ~ HOLY MASS (Extract from the HOMILY OF HIS HOLINESS BENEDICT XVI, Washington Nationals Stadium, Thursday, 17 April 2008)

Do us all here a favor and let us know how he takes it, OK?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
There is another answer, and that is don't go to the beach. Just saying. It would depend on whether you consider how you might effect someone else, as a man or woman, and that depends on your own interpretation of scripture of course. But ultimately, it is He who we answer to.

There are other materials that people are not allergic to.

Whoa whoa, mate. Let's not go nuts here. Okay? I'm sorry but as an Australian the very concept of not going to the beach is almost akin to hating Australia. It's like NOT having a BBQ during summer or something crazy like that. Excuse me a moment while I go out and get in touch with my patriotic side by finding a dangerous snake to run like hell from. :p