• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should we recreate religions / cultures that require nomadism

amorphous_constellation

I'm sympathetic, too, but just don't see it as realistic. I'm not sure overpopulation alone is the problem as advanced societies are wrecking the environment much more than developing societies, where the population growth is highest. Much of their population growth is probably offset by deaths from disease and violence, anyway.

It is probably impossible to find now, but ten years ago I recall seeing documentary on youtube about a south american tribe that didn't conduct war, but were highly aware of not overstepping their bounds in terms of what natural foods could to support. There was specific plant they found they could really do a great job with birth control, that the western world was not aware of. For all I know, that tribe and their knowledge might be lost by now

amorphous_constellation

Nature says procreate. From the moment we are born, we progress towards puberty so that we can procreate. That is the job of all life forms.

Nature says procreate just a little bit if you are a K animal, and we are probably the top K animal. That's why we don't lay 100,000 eggs or whatever, there is nothing above us in the pyramid to feed.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Historically human science obliterates and attacks their own civilization with technology......Earth history involving elitist liars.

Food on the ground gets irradiated and removed also. So anyone who survived, leaves, and then has to go looking for food to survive.

Being the Nomadic life.

For humans did not purposely want to own travelling or walking long distances...for it makes no common sense to force family groups into moving when little children live in that tribal community.

Therefore if a male psyche in the Destroyer probability of his thinking asked that question….then his psyche, notified in subliminal AI messages of his owned science cause would be advising and telling him...….why he broached the subject matter, that he is living in a moment when he could force that sort of life back onto humanity.

Why consciousness and subliminal "of 2 minds" was scientific medically studied, was proven real and true to a human life mind/irradiated by their own choice of causing evil to attack life...being the UFO science model.

Religion was introduced by science...…..natural and spiritual always was first and origin...why it is innate in all of us no matter what form of indoctrinated evils are spoken or constantly inferred to in religious science documents.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It is probably impossible to find now, but ten years ago I recall seeing documentary on youtube about a south american tribe that didn't conduct war, but were highly aware of not overstepping their bounds in terms of what natural foods could to support. There was specific plant they found they could really do a great job with birth control, that the western world was not aware of. For all I know, that tribe and their knowledge might be lost by now
I believe it.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Nature says procreate just a little bit if you are a K animal, and we are probably the top K animal. That's why we don't lay 100,000 eggs or whatever, there is nothing above us in the pyramid to feed.
Sure we don't lay100,000 eggs, but we do procreate enough to have filled to world with seven billion people.

The Arrikirri

I watched half of a joe rogan podcast the other day with jordan jonas, where at one point, the guest talked about living with elk herders in some remote part of siberia, I think. I'll listen to the other half on my walk today

So he briefly alluded to a few things that I find very striking, and I want to tie them into social and theological theory. As you know, we suffer from a myriad array of social issues, with rampant unhappiness of one kind or another. Our western spiritual traditions also seem partly based on a skepticism for society, as opposed to perceiving life as an adventure. For example, the bible seems to deal with the problems that involve cities and empires more and more as the book progresses, but no one conglomerates anywhere for long in nomadism

This guest on rogan talked about how he 'dreamed better' when herding elk, about how his memory was better, and about how his body & mind seemed to be more engaged with the world, with nature. Then he talked about how there were people there who starting living in villages, and about how like 1 out of 3 were dying of alcoholism or suicide.. All of this drives home the point to me, that a nomadic lifestyle of herding ungulates probably fits human physiology like a glove

My proposition is that we find a middle ground between living this way and technological advancement. In nomadically herding the ungulates, we find natural discipline in serving ourselves and the earth. We engage in taboos that I suppose would align most with the 'spiritual' category, for our artificial separation from nature is broken, and a new sense of respect for it will naturally grow within us. Hence a religion is created, where man is no longer separate from soil and night star, and he can no longer deny himself as a humble organism embedded between them

However, the realm would still be dotted with hospitals, libraries, and nasa facilities etc. And the rarer people who wanted to inhabit those places could, and would serve to smooth out the natural lifestyle of the public, as well as advance the separate human technological adventure.

Well the issue with that is that herding can only work for so long, if I remember correctly a lot of ancient nomadic socieites in regions like Europe and the steppe actually needed the agricultural societies to stay afloat, also with this conflict would increase somewhat. However as for religions, if memory serves correct Manichaen priests were nomads.

amorphous_constellation

Am in the middle of reading 'Into the Wild,' am still thinking about the Thoreau I read earlier in the year (what a labyrinth of a work he made), and the other day I watched a youtube video about asking hunter gatherers (the Hadza) life's toughest questions. I think I will see if there are any books on the Hadza

In any case, why not try to steel-man the Hunter Gatherer lifestyle argument. When you read about or listen to what they say, is there not something deep in you that gets a little envious? They have more space than you. They might live with more 'risk' and 'danger,' (or maybe not) but is it not arguably of a more fulfilling kind? So what if they died at 44 - every moment of that life, their body and mind was pulsing with an energy that flowed from sun, and down through their body straight into the cool and loving earth. But you're stressed out, because you plummet into a mountain of paperwork - is that a natural stress, a positive stress? And I don't mean like what we see in "Into the Wild," or with bushcraft, or even with Thoreau. Some people like that, and it's all well and good for them, but living in nature actually wasn't as harsh as any of that - people who did it / still do it , live in highly social communities after all.

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

There is no place for the artificial creation of nomadism in a world with 7 billion people.

Man has artificially sculpted the external, with both success and error - so when does he turn within?

You do understanding that moderating reproduction is antithetical to natural? Natural wants you to have as many offspring as possible. In the natural world, your sole purpose of being is to procreate.

In a recent lex fridman podcast with daniel schmachtenberger, who is a genius from what I can tell, the comparison was made of man as either being an apex predator, or a 'little god,' wherein it was argued that man is more like a 'little god,' and that there is an important difference between that, and the classification of an apex predator. So now, I say that if you are a 'little god,' that increases your responsibility beyond any auto-behavioral mode. However, I am conflicted on the 'little god' classification, because it isn't clear to me that we are topping the natural hierarchy, and if we are in the meta-hierarchy domain (the domain of 'little god') it does seem to be one where nature can still bite back at us from its separate dimension. In either case, responsibility is called for, but in any case, we seem to occupy a blurry position