• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should we really trust man to tell us what "God's words" meant?

we-live-now

The best way is to compare it with other scriptures with the same word. Psalm 23:1 compare Psalm 34:10. Someone wrote (Psalm 23:10) The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing. Good thing? People should want good things as God is good says The Lord. It is written. Mind says "that doesn't make sense". So lookup the word translated "good". Oh! It means desirable. Now the meaning changes. Doesn't it?

The lions want but go hungry; they who seek יְ֝הוָ֗ה (God) not do want all what is pleasant.

Wanting to satisfy a person's own desires is like a lion who is hungry but goes without. To seek The Lord is to refrain from going after desire.

Do not be planning ahead for the desires of the flesh. Romans 13:14
Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.

Before the internet it might have taken me weeks or months or even years to do what I did in five minutes. OK ten minutes.

I have found the free program at this site to be very valuable too:

Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

I did not read this.

But your answer is:

"Generally, NO."

But you can always listen and discern for yourself what is true and what is false, never learning anything apart from the clear truths.

I love God XD so I hope you do not judge him for the lack of understanding in those who are in an ever growing and utterly painful battle against atheism. I hate atheists...

Vishvavajra

I love God XD so I hope you do not judge him for the lack of understanding in those who are in an ever growing and utterly painful battle against atheism. I hate atheists...
You love God, but you hate people?

That's the kind of thing that might lead people to make judgments about various things.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Proverbs 3:5 All the Bibles say that on one's own understanding a person should not lean. But the Bible as we know it are books translated and copied by people who had to lean on their own understanding or be taken over by The Holy Spirit to do the will of God exactly. Every one of them! What is more believable? Is it possible that every person who had a part in the writing and choosing of the modern Bible canon did the will of God exactly?

Let me ask you this. All these Bible say "Own" understanding. Why? Why does the modern Bible say on our OWN understanding do not lean?

Think. Most people are leaning on the understanding of the writers, copiers, translators, and more copiers of it.

So is it righteous to lean on someone else's understanding? Why is it?

We are leaning on the understanding that God would not allow mistakes in God's books even though God allowed Adam and therefore, the whole human race to bear error. Then you are leaning on the understanding that ALL those who had a part in making the Bible were righteous.

James 2:5
Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?
Psalm 8:2
Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.
Matthew 11:25
At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.
1 Corinthians 1:27
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

Were the men who gathered to decide the Bible canon poor? Like children? Weak? Foolish?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
IF the Bible has serious mistakes in it, to admit it would cause a great shaking. The world does not do well when the Earth shakes. So, everyone, that is everyone, who has a part in keeping the Bible status quo is being a friend of the World imho

James 4:4

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Really? What or who would satisfy you of what the Bible means?
Do you read it?
Study it?
Pray for guidance?
Ask a clergy person for help?
On your avatar line under religion you write: "I don't like religion, just want the truth."
I think I understand that. I don't like "religion" either but love God and love learning about His Word in the Bible and how the Bible makes meaning.
What do you want to do? What do you want to know?
IMHO, anyone claiming to speak for or explain the nature of God should be viewed with extreme scrutiny. We have seen time and time again that the clergy often are mistaken, or even worse, hypocritical.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
A person has a PhD in Theology and a PhD in the study of
ancient Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic. This person teaches
at a Christian college.
Another person finished high school, has attended church since
a child, is now 55 years old, is a lay preacher.
Who would you trust to give you the best information on Biblical
meaning and how the Bible makes meaning?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Something important was left off your list.
Fiction.

People often make up things for well intentioned reasons. But the intentions don't make fiction true.

Tom
The opposite of true is fiction according to the publishing companies of The World. Now I am going to think up the true opposite of fiction.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A person has a PhD in Theology and a PhD in the study of
ancient Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic. This person teaches
at a Christian college.
Another person finished high school, has attended church since
a child, is now 55 years old, is a lay preacher.
Who would you trust to give you the best information on Biblical
meaning and how the Bible makes meaning?
Neither! I have to trust Jesus.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can you trust Jesus AND the Bible? What happens if Jesus and the Bible disagree? Is it possible?

jeager106

Premium Member
@ savagewind
q konn made some fine points in his above post.
The Holy Bible is NOT an easy read.
People will point out all sorts of seeming contradictions.
It has been estimated that there are some 40,000 different
Christian denominations ALL READING THE SAME BOOK!!!
That fact alone simply shouts that the Bible ain't an easy read, that
different denominations interpret the SAME passages differently.
We have the Trinity denominations (making up the bulk of Christians)
and yet it can be discovered by careful study that the Trinity doctrine
is false doctrine.
(I'll catch it for saying that!)
On the far left of the groups we have people that firmly believe
that they must pass a box of rattlesnakes around to "prove" or demonstrate their faith. Whoooooo-eeeeee!
I could go on for page after page examining the vast differences
between Christian denominations ( rapture anyone?) which should
make it clear to any thinking person that a serious Christian needs
serious STUDY of the Bible and take advantage of any trusted
study material.
NO ONE can just read the Bible and get "it" right without serious
study and source material.
Ever hear "spare the rod and spoil the child".
Scripture taken wayyyyyyyy out of context.
Study reveals the "rod" and the staff" comforts.
So why then do some Christians think the distorted verse means
to whip the kids with a sick??????
The rod and staff ( O.T.) were the words of God that bring comfort
the the believer.
Cheesh!

Last edited:

jeager106

Premium Member
@ savagewind
I'd venture to say that most Christians only read selected passages
in the Bible while in church trying to stay awake and follow what
the preacher is saying.
The Bible is the most owned book in this country and the least read.
And it darned sure is the least studied.
Most people that attend church believe only what the preachers says
about the miserable two or three scriptures read in church.
So evidently the majority of Christians DO believe someone else's version
of the Bible with little attention paid to what the verses really mean.

Last edited: