• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should we really trust man to tell us what "God's words" meant?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
@ q konn

You make some fine points in the above post.
The Holy Bible is NOT an easy read.
People will point out all sorts of seeming contradictions.
It has been estimated that there are some 40,000 different
Christian denominations ALL READING THE SAME BOOK!!!
That fact alone simply shouts that the Bible ain't an easy read, that
different denominations interpret the SAME passages differently.
We have the Trinity denominations (making up the bulk of Christians)
and yet it can be discovered by careful study that the Trinity doctrine
is false doctrine.
(I'll catch it for saying that!)
On the far left of the groups we have people that firmly believe
that they must pass a box of rattlesnakes around to "prove" or demonstrate their faith. Whoooooo-eeeeee!
I could go on for page after page examining the vast differences
between Christian denominations ( rapture anyone?) which should
make it clear to any thinking person that a serious Christian needs
serious STUDY of the Bible and take advantage of any trusted
study material.
NO ONE can just read the Bible and get "it" right without serious
study and source material.
Ever hear "spare the rod and spoil the child".
Scripture taken wayyyyyyyy out of context.
Study reveals the "rod" and the staff" comforts.
So why then do some Christians think the distorted verse means
to whip the kids with a sick??????
The rod and staff ( O.T.) were the words of God that bring comfort
the the believer.
Cheesh!
I'd venture to say, we have to 'trust' people, basically, on some matters.
//I deleted my post because I didn't realize that this was a longer thread, and didn't want to divert whatever debate/dialogue was taking place.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God's word is true and does not change back and forth. The Bible has been changed. In fact, one Bible differs from another and is proof it can change.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
God's word is true and does not change back and forth. The Bible has been changed. In fact, one Bible differs from another and is proof it can change.

So are you suggesting Christianity dump every Bible printed?
Of course it changes with better understanding of ancient languages
and ancient customs and belief systems why would it not be in
a constant state of flux?
It should be.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Ok, I have been thinking about this for a while now.

I am no formal "Biblical scholar" or trained theologian with a "Dr." before or letters after my name. Just a normal guy. Whatever "normal" or "guy" looks like or means.

Whether we believe the scriptures are true or not, we had to at one point trust someone tell us what they mean by translating them into our own languages. This means they get to choose what "God" is telling us.

Isn't this a LOT of power to give to a person or a group of people? What makes them qualified to tell us what "God" was saying or meaning? (if they were from "God")

Then, on top of that, we have many different versions of the translated words in each language called "translations". Most of them don't agree. I am also finding at times that entire original words were overlooked or skipped and not translated at all. To me, this is scandalous if these messages or "signs" were truly from "God". If these are from God and are 100% accurate "truth" then shouldn't they all agree and be 100% precise?

What if man was/is wrong when he told us what the original words meant? What if he mixed in his own (false) ideas of what and "who" he thought "God" was? Another related thought is: shouldn't one original word or "sign" (as I call it) mean one-single thing always (and not "sometimes mean this" and "sometimes mean that")?

Could man be getting the meaning wrong because man thinks God is inside time and is changing? But what if God is outside of all time and doesn't change? What if his words never change either and always mean one, single thing or truth?

Sorry for the length. Pick something and share your thoughts.... :)
Whatever the religion and whatever the scripture, following points would help to discern the Truth:
  1. The claim and reason from the recipient of original Word of Revelation
  2. The context of the verses
  3. The secondary issues will be understood in the context of the core teaching/s.
Regards

leibowde84

Veteran Member
A person has a PhD in Theology and a PhD in the study of
ancient Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic. This person teaches
at a Christian college.
Another person finished high school, has attended church since
a child, is now 55 years old, is a lay preacher.
Who would you trust to give you the best information on Biblical
meaning and how the Bible makes meaning?
Indisputably the former.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Ok, I have been thinking about this for a while now.

I am no formal "Biblical scholar" or trained theologian with a "Dr." before or letters after my name. Just a normal guy. Whatever "normal" or "guy" looks like or means.

Whether we believe the scriptures are true or not, we had to at one point trust someone tell us what they mean by translating them into our own languages. This means they get to choose what "God" is telling us.

Isn't this a LOT of power to give to a person or a group of people? What makes them qualified to tell us what "God" was saying or meaning? (if they were from "God")

Then, on top of that, we have many different versions of the translated words in each language called "translations". Most of them don't agree. I am also finding at times that entire original words were overlooked or skipped and not translated at all. To me, this is scandalous if these messages or "signs" were truly from "God". If these are from God and are 100% accurate "truth" then shouldn't they all agree and be 100% precise?

What if man was/is wrong when he told us what the original words meant? What if he mixed in his own (false) ideas of what and "who" he thought "God" was? Another related thought is: shouldn't one original word or "sign" (as I call it) mean one-single thing always (and not "sometimes mean this" and "sometimes mean that")?

Could man be getting the meaning wrong because man thinks God is inside time and is changing? But what if God is outside of all time and doesn't change? What if his words never change either and always mean one, single thing or truth?

Sorry for the length. Pick something and share your thoughts.... :)

Welcome to deism.