• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should we make a comeback with "Floppy Disks"?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Original names endure, even after the literal meaning fades.
It's why we still "tape" when we "record".
Yeah, but why? I can't be the only one who feels silly saying rolling a window up/down when it's pressing a button tuese days (so I stopped rolling windows up and down).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but why? I can't be the only one who feels silly saying rolling a window up/down when it's pressing a button tuese days (so I stopped rolling windows up and down).

We still say "dialing the phone," too.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Think of freedom of the "press".
It's still called a printing press.
iu

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Motor driven ships still "sail".

Engines have "horse power".

Parking areas at airports are "ramps" (back when seaplanes came out of the water there was a sloping ramp for them).

Shaul

Premium Member
I still use floppy disks with my Texas Instruments 99/4A computer. It uses the 5-1/4" floppies, not the 3-1/2" floppies. But the first computers I worked on used punch cards, paper tape, open reel tape and platter disks.

1694358794476.png

HonestJoe

Anyone else wonder why we kept the name the name floppy disks to refer to hard diskettes that weren't at all floppy like a floppy?
The disks inside were still "floppy", it's just that the cases that became rigid. If the name referred to the cases, they wouldn't be called "disks" either. :cool: