• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should We Believe In A Religion Based On Faith?

Lycan

Preternatural
In answering the title question...

There's no other way to believe in a religion but by faith. We can study the 'evidence', question it, and even have 'divine' experiences, but we cannot know what is really 'truth' when it comes to belief in any god. So all we have is faith that we have chosen correctly.

Tawn

iaminterface said:
What if you worship a religion, but you're not sure its true, but you worship it anyway. Is that playing the odds?
Yes. Though that description sounds somewhat inhumane... You believe in it because it is to you the most likely and probable reality.
Faith (by the definition I understand and use) is when you are sure of something without evidence.. of course I think the problem really is that there are different definitions of faith.

Ronald99

Authentic...isn't that more to logic thinking(using our mind) than to faith?

My point that I made in this thread that since there are numerous religions exist in this world, one that was born religion A would certainly have a default faith in religion A. Different to another person who was born with religion B, that person would have a default faith in religion B. If each person was born in different religions, then which religion is the truth? Thus, faith cannot lead us to find the truth, because faith is based on something that doesn't require logic thinking, like in your example of Abraham and Issac...wait a minute wasn't it Abraham and Ismael? But yes, I agree that is faith, but that's not my point.
Re: Faith. I forever hear, "God loves you." I constantly wonder, how is God's love reconciled with His allowing 6 million Jews and 5 million others to be systematically murdered??

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Re: Faith. I forever hear, "God loves you." I constantly wonder, how is God's love reconciled with His allowing 6 million Jews and 5 million others to be systematically murdered??
Just FYI: You're responding to a thread and post from 2005.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If we were to believe in any certain religion based on faith only, then every person would have faith in a religion based on the religion they were given when they were born. That is why we were given mind and brain by God, so that we can find the truth. So that we can decide which one is the most that our mind can accept.

You should follow a religion if you find it useful/beneficial to you.
If you are not finding it useful, and going by faith alone, I'm not sure the point.
Just following the herd I suppose.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If we were to believe in any certain religion based on faith only, then every person would have faith in a religion based on the religion they were given when they were born. That is why we were given mind and brain by God, so that we can find the truth. So that we can decide which one is the most that our mind can accept.
Truth has levels. Knowledge has levels. The mind has potential. There are going to be different levels of understanding of the "religion" by even people who follow the true one.

However, there is a reason why belief and faith is emphasized on. If God wanted to, he could've made the truth clear as daylight like he will on the day of judgment. Then no soul can deny truth and there is no room for denial at all.

But would souls love God and strive for him, if he was that open. Some would, but they are the Prophets and chosen ones and chosen close Angels. The fact this trial is made a bit difficult and that God is to large degree hidden, despite proofs around us and signs.

Fearing and hoping in God is only noble if God to some degree is unseen. Otherwise it's trivial.

However, there is also pursuit of certainty in knowledge of God, that can bring you towards day of judgment type certainty. This is noble to and because it required it to start as a seed and grow to that, and it started with faith in the unseen signs to tranquility in them to certainty, that it's noble.

Because God is hidden, seeking this certainty in knowledge is noble. If God was openly manifest as he will be on the day of judgment, then there is no room for denial, and it's a trivial type certainty.

So part of this seeking truth is to let others seek it at their pace. When someone reaches a high level and wants to bring everyone to it, he will fail. God knows how to layer the truth through his revelations, holy books, and leaders that guide by the truth.

In reality, the truth is a continuous revelation. Even Mohammad (s) was told to say "and increase me in knowledge".

Ebionite

Without going down the magic six million rabbit hole, this may help:

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy Elah, I will also forget thy children.
Hosea 4:6