• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should We Believe In A Religion Based On Faith?

Ziroc

If we were to believe in any certain religion based on faith only, then every person would have faith in a religion based on the religion they were given when they were born. That is why we were given mind and brain by God, so that we can find the truth. So that we can decide which one is the most that our mind can accept.

I've been looking for the truth, but it hasnt led me to a specific religion.(although Buddhism comes close). Of course you shouldnt follow a religion based on faith alone. Its up to everyone to find the truth for themselves. The problem is, there is no truth that isnt going to be false to someone elses truth.

Ziroc

iaminterface said:
The problem is, there is no truth that isnt going to be false to someone elses truth.
But isn't truth general for humans? A truth for human A should also be a truth for human B. Truth is what is the fact, but if a truth is false to someone else, then its either the truth that is wrong or that someone else is wrong.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I began my practice of Buddhism with no faith; just expectation that it might work. I have continued for over 20 years because it actually does. My faith has grown in direct proportion to the actual proof I have seen in my own life.

Tawn

Firdaus Mardhatillah said:
If we were to believe in any certain religion based on faith only, then every person would have faith in a religion based on the religion they were given when they were born. That is why we were given mind and brain by God, so that we can find the truth. So that we can decide which one is the most that our mind can accept.
I agree totally.
But isn't truth general for humans? A truth for human A should also be a truth for human B. Truth is what is the fact, but if a truth is false to someone else, then its either the truth that is wrong or that someone else is wrong.
Yes and no. I think you have the right idea actually. There is 'a truth' to reality. However, we can never be certain we will know that truth for sure. Therefore we must all remain open to all possibilities - go where our minds tell us - but be tolerant of others who's minds may have taken them elsewhere.
Remember - we may all be wrong. :)

Melody

Well, I was raised Catholic and I absolutely do not believe in the tenets of the catholic church. Then again, I don't believe in the tenets of any religion. :D

My truth isn't found in a "religion".

Lloyd

If we were to believe in any certain religion based on faith only, then every person would have faith in a religion based on the religion they were given when they were born.
Faith is far more than the suspension of disbelief. That's just one sense of the term. The other, and far superior is that profound spiritual experience that drives religion. The faith I know is one that trusts in the benificence of God even in the most dangerous and uncertain of times. Abraham had faith that God would provide for him, presumably another son, even when God commanded him to sacrifice Isaac.

My experience of faith is not one that limits one's possibilities but radically expands them. Just this year I became a Baha'i. Before, I had been very committed to Roman Catholicism. When it was thoroughly demonstrated to me that the Baha'u'llah was an authentic prophet I was overwhelmed. I knew that I couldn't just bury my head in the sand and ignore the Baha'i faith. Rather, through faith I entrusted myself to God's care. I know that everybody thinks I've gone crazy, and yeah, that does worry me, but I have faith that God will guide me so long as I put my trust in him. If I wouldn't have had that faith at the time of my conversion I would never have been able to make that leap to the Baha'i Faith. I would have been too afraid to do something so incomprehensible to my friends and family.

In one sense of the word, faith does restrict one's possibilities for religious transformation. But in another sense of the word it enables people to step outside of the religious millieu in which they grew up. I of course am a little biased to the latter kind of faith.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I didn't even know what faith was until I was an adult. Faith is a lot different from just believing whatever anyone tells you. Faith is being absolutely sure of things that cannot be proven. Everyone has faith in SOME thing. Religion is just one of the many things that require faith.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Melody said:
My truth isn't found in a "religion".
That's an interesting statement, Melody. But I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you please elaborate? Just curious.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Tawn said:
...we can never be certain we will know that truth for sure. Therefore we must all remain open to all possibilities - go where our minds tell us - but be tolerant of others who's minds may have taken them elsewhere.
Remember - we may all be wrong. :)
Well stated and I concur! Spend a few minutes perusing RF and you'll understand how important it is to be tolerant of others.
Melody said:
...My truth isn't found in a "religion".
I've heard many people say something like this. They have a faith or spirituality that is very personal to them, but they eschew 'organized religion'. If this isn't what you meant, please correct me. I can tolerate it.:)

Tawn

Lloyd said:
When it was thoroughly demonstrated to me that the Baha'u'llah was an authentic prophet
Is that really faith then? Youve been swayed by the 'evidence' (I put it in parenthesis because evidence need not be the physical kind that science relies on)
I think we need a clear definition of faith.
johnnys4life said:
Faith is being absolutely sure of things that cannot be proven. Everyone has faith in SOME thing
Thats my definition of faith. However, I have no faith (according to this definition) because I am absolutely sure of nothing. (Im 99.99% certain of a lot of things though ;) )

Saw11_2000

You should do whatever you want to do. If you want to believe in God regardless of the evidence or not, that is your business. If you don't want to believe in God because of the evidence or lack of evidence, that's great to. Some people are driven by logic, some people by faith.

Melody

Sunstone said:
That's an interesting statement, Melody. But I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you please elaborate? Just curious.
I will try although I may inadvertently offend some people.

My truth is not found in a man made organization with its man made rules. For awhile I thought the Baptists might meet my needs because they were biblically based but even they have their own "rules" that are at odds with what I believe God is telling me.

I believe what the Bible says about the indwelling Holy Spirit removing the scales from our eyes so that we will see the truth and not be deceived. The more I study the Bible, listen to the various views from the people here on RF, read what bible scholars have to say and the more time I spend praying, the more I strongly feel that God is telling me that His truth will not be found in any organized religion. It can only be found by communing with Him. That I don't need a pastor, minister or priest to interpret the Bible for me. He will do that if I just have faith and listen.

Just an example, many people interpet the two passages in the Bible on homosexuality to mean that it is forbidden and they say it is clear cut. The more my faith grows and the more time I spend praying, the less I am sure that this is so. When I went to my old baptist church about 6 weeks ago, the pastor made a comment about homosexuality being a perversion and abomination in God's sight and the majority of the congregation started amening and clapping. At that minute, it was as if the presence of God left the building. I literally felt cold and repulsed by the pastor and the people and I don't even remember hearing the rest of his sermon. I have not been back. In fact, I've been doing my Sunday worship at home with music and prayer.

My truth is found in God. Not manmade religions. Oh dear...did I ramble on when just 2 sentences could have done it? :eek:

Lloyd

Tawn said:
Is that really faith then? Youve been swayed by the 'evidence' (I put it in parenthesis because evidence need not be the physical kind that science relies on)
I think we need a clear definition of faith.
Thats my definition of faith. However, I have no faith (according to this definition) because I am absolutely sure of nothing. (Im 99.99% certain of a lot of things though ;) )
It wasn't really an act of faith to conclude that Baha'u'llah was authentic. That was mostly just sorting through the evidence. The faith that I'm talking about isn't so much about knowledge and truth, but about resting assured that God will take care of me.

I don't really think of faith as being certain about something, but rather as means to flourish amidst uncertainty.

Ziroc

Lloyd said:
When it was thoroughly demonstrated to me that the Baha'u'llah was an authentic prophet I was overwhelmed. I knew that I couldn't just bury my head in the sand and ignore the Baha'i faith...If I wouldn't have had that faith at the time of my conversion I would never have been able to make that leap to the Baha'i Faith. I would have been too afraid to do something so incomprehensible to my friends and family.
Authentic...isn't that more to logic thinking(using our mind) than to faith?

My point that I made in this thread that since there are numerous religions exist in this world, one that was born religion A would certainly have a default faith in religion A. Different to another person who was born with religion B, that person would have a default faith in religion B. If each person was born in different religions, then which religion is the truth? Thus, faith cannot lead us to find the truth, because faith is based on something that doesn't require logic thinking, like in your example of Abraham and Issac...wait a minute wasn't it Abraham and Ismael? But yes, I agree that is faith, but that's not my point.

Tawn

Lloyd said:
It wasn't really an act of faith to conclude that Baha'u'llah was authentic. That was mostly just sorting through the evidence. The faith that I'm talking about isn't so much about knowledge and truth, but about resting assured that God will take care of me.
Ahh.. but the thread title was 'should we believe in a religion based on faith?'
Youre saying that evidence led you to believe in God - and faith is the means by which you trust in his compssionate nature. However, I think the thread starter was more concerned about those who use faith as a means of choosing their religion.
I don't really think of faith as being certain about something, but rather as means to flourish amidst uncertainty.
I like the sentiment.. but now im confused.. :confused:
Perhaps by this particular definition we do all have faith..

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Tawn said:
Ah, but you are sure enough to act on them though. Like when you jump, you're sure enough that you won't go flinging out into space, you'll come down again. That's the other part of faith - being sure enough to act on something you believe. But some people have more faith in gravity than in thier own religion.

Tawn

johnnys4life said:
Ah, but you are sure enough to act on them though. Like when you jump, you're sure enough that you won't go flinging out into space, you'll come down again. That's the other part of faith - being sure enough to act on something you believe. But some people have more faith in gravity than in thier own religion.
I think its very important to differentiate between being sure enough and absolutely sure. I cannot be absolutely sure that gravity will always work, but I can be pretty damn confident it will. :)
When I board an aeroplane, I am not sure that it won't crash, but I get on anyway. Thats not faith. Thats playing the odds.