• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Ted Bundy have gotten executed?

I believe people like Ted Bundy should get the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
At least one of those escapes was due to severe negligence on the cops.
Guards and peace officers are a joke. They can't keep an eye on that many people!

Guards and peace officers can actually be crooked or apathetic, cowards, or they look the other way sometimes when it is their job to stop something.

Don't have faith in them! It's why giving clever criminals a lifetime to think about how to escape, is a threat to society!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I don't believe that 'revenge' is a sentence that should be delivered by a modern democracy. Should thieves have their hands cut off too?
The fact that the US can't manage to keep their criminals in prison is irrelevant.

In the UK we have sociopaths and despicable criminals that are sentenced and remain locked up.
Just this week it looks like a man that was twice(!) convicted of murder could be innocent, as another convicted murderer has confessed to the murders he was found guilty of....
Levi Bellfield confesses to Lin and Megan Russell murders, lawyer says - BBC News

I don't want state sanctioned murder carried out in my name.
Appreciate your compassion, but that was not your daughter that he killed after he escaped!

Otherwise,You might feeL DIFFERENT

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Guards and peace officers are a joke. They can't keep an eye on that many people!

Guards and peace officers can actually be crooked or apathetic, cowards, or they look the other way sometimes when it is their job to stop something.

Don't have faith in them! It's why giving clever criminals a lifetime to think about how to escape, is a threat to society!
Do American prisons not have security cameras? Do they not have increased security measures at certain prisons?
How many people have actually escaped from prison in the last 10 years? (And I’m talking from max security prisons where the worse offenders presumably go.)

That’s hardly an argument in favour of the death penalty anyway. Because you could just as easily point to escape as a reason for prisons being obsolete in general. So are you going to kill people who commit petty crimes as well?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Do American prisons not have security cameras? Do they not have increased security measures at certain prisons?
How many people have actually escaped from prison in the last 10 years? (And I’m talking from max security prisons where the worse offenders presumably go.)

That’s hardly an argument in favour of the death penalty anyway. Because you could just as easily point to escape as a reason for prisons being obsolete in general. So are you going to kill people who commit petty crimes as well?
The places I have been incarcerated at did not have very many cameras.

I don't know how many escapes there have been. But people even escaped from Alcatraz , which was thought to be impossible to escape from.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Appreciate appreciate your compassion, but that was not your daughter that he killed after he escaped!

Otherwise,You might feeL DIFFERENT
I accept that - but if my daughter had been murdered I would prefer that the guilty party was locked up for the rest of his life, living in fear of being assaulted himself and often in isolation. Death is the cowards way out.

The other key element is my total lack of confidence in the police catching the correct killer. The number of miscarriages of justice grows by the year.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
The places I have been incarcerated at did not have very many cameras.

I don't know how many escapes there have been. But people even escaped from Alcatraz , which was thought to be impossible to escape from.
So what?
Again that’s hardly an argument for the death penalty. Besides couldn’t they just escape whilst on death row anyway?
Since apparently it’s so easy to escape from US prisons I mean
Maybe the US should be more careful about its prisons.

Spiderman

Veteran Member

Plus, the places I have been to did not have cameras in the cells.

And there's one officer , many inmates, who doesn't pay attention to what's going on in the unit.

People get raped and beaten all the time, and there's nothing anyone can really do about it.

It's more inhumane to keep the person locked up for life.

Then again, they might have just put Bundy in solitary confinement with a camera too.

That is also one of the worst tortures and extremely inhumane!

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member

And there's one officer , many inmates, who doesn't pay attention to what's going on in the unit.

People get raped and beaten all the time, and there's nothing anyone can really do about it.

Then again, they might have just put Bundy in solitary confinement with a camera too.

Well if that’s the case then I stand by my conviction against the death penalty.
Though the US apparently needs to invest more in prisons to avoid such conditions. But I doubt that will happen. Even in my own country

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So what?
Again that’s hardly an argument for the death penalty. Besides couldn’t they just escape whilst on death row anyway?
Since apparently it’s so easy to escape from US prisons I mean
Maybe the US should be more careful about its prisons.
You can say it's not an argument for the death penalty.

I say, it can relieve the suffering of the inmates tremendously, and save many lives of innocent people who get hurt by these escape artist monsters.

There are more serial killers in America than all other 190+ countries combined. And we have an extremely high incarceration rates and not enough peace officers.

The prison systems I have been to in America have candy cane fences sometimes without even barbed wire.

Yes, I'm sure people have escaped on death row. But an entire life span increases the likelihood of it happening..

Also, there is more security for people on death row, than people in the general population who are just given life.

So if we took away the death penalty, we take away death row, and they might find themselves in the general population with less security, and way more time to tunnel through the ceiling like Ted did.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
You can say it's not an argument for the death penalty.

I say, it can relieve the suffering of the inmates tremendously, and save many lives of innocent people who get hurt by these escape artist monsters.

There are more serial killers in America than all other 190+ countries combined. And we have an extremely high incarceration rates and not enough peace officers.

The prison systems I have been to in America have candy cane fences sometimes without even barbed wire.

Yes, I'm sure people have escaped on death row. But an entire life span increases the likelihood of it happening..

Also, there is more security for people on death row, than people in the general population who are just given life.

So if we took away the death penalty, we take away death row, and they might find themselves in the general population with less security, and way more time to tunnel through the ceiling like Ted did.
Or just invest more on security measures :shrug:

Your high incarceration rates are more complex than simply having more murderers though.

Again most of the civilised world have done away with the death penalty decades ago and nothing has really happened. Other than the rest of the world more inclined to view the US as being archaic, backwards and uncivilised I suppose.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

That just highlights the need for prison reform, not killing people.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I don't believe in capital punishment, period.

If it is wrong to kill, it is wrong to kill. Revenge is useless, and simply adds another misery to an already miserable situation.

And we cannot call it "protection for society." If you have a person so incapacitated that you can kill them at will, it is impossible to claim that they are now a clear and present danger. How much more "under control" can one be than to be in a position in which it is impossible to defend yourself from imminent death?

And it is very well known that far, far too many people are wrongly convicted of crimes. Many have been released from prison after years of wrongful incarceration. But how do you make it up to the wrongfully convicted person you killed last year? Or to their family? A shrug of society's shoulders and an "oh, well, nobody's right all the time" simply won't do it.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I accept that - but if my daughter had been murdered I would prefer that the guilty party was locked up for the rest of his life, living in fear of being assaulted himself and often in isolation. Death is the cowards way out.

The other key element is my total lack of confidence in the police catching the correct killer. The number of miscarriages of justice grows by the year.
I'm saying, what if he was killed before his escape?

Your daughter would still be alive.

Ted isn't the only murderer to escape from prison and murder more people.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Ted Bundy escaped from prison twice, and then he went to Florida and he proceeded to murder multiple women, as well as bludgeon and sexually assault others who survived, leaving them with permanent PTSD and brain injuries from being beaten over the head, and a lifetime of sorrow for their family and friends!

If we allow such killers (mass murderers) to have a lifetime behind bars, it increases the likelihood of them escaping and hurting other people. Ted Bundy escaped from prison twice, as I said, and the second time he tunneled through the ceiling, got a new pair of clothes, stole a car, and traveled to a different state.

In fact, he went into the Chi-Omega sorority house to kill all of the girls in the house, and he was going to bludgeon a girl who was holding a rosary, and when he saw the rosary in her hand, a feeling of impending doom fell upon him, he felt like he could not advance, he felt like he needed to leave immediately, dropped his weapon and fled, leaving all the evidence that lead to his conviction (unlike his other crimes), and saving the lives of the other girls in the house who were sleeping.

Some people are ingenious at being escape artist, getting out of prison, doing such things. The death penalty can prevent that from happenin
g! The death penalty can also make the relatives of the victims feel more like justice has been served!

So, the death penalty, can actually be better for society, than a full lifespan behind bars, which is extremely costly, and the criminal can actually escape, and hurt more people!

I believe the death penalty is barbaric, but at the same time, it can be the lesser of two evils!

Your thoughts?
Yes. Such heinous crimes should be punished by death.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'm saying, what if he was killed before his escape?

Your daughter would still be alive.

Ted isn't the only murderer to escape from prison and murder more people.
funded murder.
But what if he was the wrong man and was innocent?
What if you had decent, secure jails?
I do NOT believe in state sponsored murder.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I voted yes but only if proved to be beyond any doubt,I also think it should be carried out by the guilty person themselves therefore removing the moral issue of someone else doing it.

I think the sentence of life imprisonment should be just that,in prison till death but the option to take a lethal drink like the one people go to Switzerland for the terminally Ill,it’s quick and painless,how is keeping someone in a box for the rest of their life any better.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
funded murder.
But what if he was the wrong man and was innocent?
What if you had decent, secure jails?
I do NOT believe in state sponsored murder.
In his case, before his escape, he was pointed out by the girl he tried to handcuff, as he impersonated a cop to fool her.

He was busted with handcuffs and murder weapons.

There was plenty more evidence he wasn't innocent.

But I think more needs to be done to stop convictions , where we don't know if the person is guilty.

When an innocent person is executed, that is beyond terrible.

An innocent person behind bars for life is worse than death , in my opinion.

But if they are found innocent, maybe they get released years later. I bet that is extremely rare innocent people are found guilty of murder, executed, then found innocent. It happens, and that is terrible!

But when you know with certainty you have a clever serial killer and escape artist? Then what?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
In his case, before his escape, he was pointed out by the girl he tried to handcuff, as he impersonated a cop to fool her.

But I think more needs to be done to stop convictions , where we don't know if the person is guilty.

But if they are found innocent, maybe they get released years later. I bet that is extremely rare innocent people are found guilty of murder, executed, then found innocent. It happens, and that is terrible!

But when you know with certainty you have a clever serial killer and escape artist? Then what?
Make a more secure location maybe?
Are we seriously to believe one of the richest nations on earth, known internationally as a nation that is beyond extremely punitive, can’t be bothered to keep at risk prisoners in a facility that can hold them?
Really?
Says more about the US really. But whatever

Altfish

Veteran Member

You will not change my mind. I do not accept Capital Punishment as a deterrent.

Look up the history in the UK of miscarriages of justice, I am not familiar with US cases, but I suspect it will be similar. The IRA bombings alone have thrown up many people who were framed by under pressure or corrupt police.
The Derek Bentley case ... Derek Bentley case - Wikipedia ... was the final straw in UK, capital punishment ended soon after.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Make a more secure location maybe?
Are we seriously to believe one of the richest nations on earth, known internationally as a nation that is beyond extremely punitive, can’t be bothered to keep at risk prisoners in a facility that can hold them?
Really?
Says more about the US really. But whatever
No, because officers don't do their job duh!

Have you watched the news in America?
Police let my city get burned and looted. I live where George Floyd was murdered.