• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Society Ban The Abrahamic Religions And How?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
We don't need religions for that. Governments do it better. Christian hospitals are businesses. I am a retired physician, and did my internship and residency at a Catholic hospital. We did not admit the uninsured or underinsured. They were stabilized if initially unstable, then transferred to the county hospital built by the government and supported by the taxpayer. The church only admitted profitable patients. It was the government administering to the indigent sick.

Not in my opinion. The most virtuous people I know are not religious. Believing by faith is not a virtue. It's a logical error.

Disagree again. I don't consider the moral codes of the Abrahamic religions to be adequate for 21st century life..
Please don't combine posts when you reply, especially posts by different people. When I hit reply, it becomes extraordinarily difficult to know which paragraphs were directed to me.

Governments need help. They don't do it all. And religion picks up where government leaves off. For example, many people on food stamps still go hungry -- food stamps are deliberately designed not to meet all of a person's dietary needs. In addition, there are people too mentally disturbed or strung out to be able to manage the food stamp program. IOW there are still very hungry individuals out there. They depend on additional food programs out there. In my neighborhood, one is secular, and probably 2 dozen are religious.

Virtue has an odd distribution. It surprises even me. It seems to be related to a firm identity. The scientific research that someone in this forum directed me to indicated that it was those who were either devoutly religious or similarly devoutly atheist/agnostic who were virtuous. The people who were morally wishy washy were those who tended to be culturally religious aka not really firm in their identity. So if we are going to be honest, the scientific truth doesn't really look good for either my side or for yours.

When you talk about moral codes and the 21st century, you neglect to understand one thing about Judaism (or at least non-Orthodox Judaism)--it is not static. It evolves. We see it in one form with Abraham, in another form with Moses, in yet another form with King David, and yet another form with Ezra. It is in yet another form after the Maccabean revolt, and another form during the Talmudic era. It has yet another form today. It will evolve to another form in the age to come.

Why? Because our understanding builds on what came before. Truth is a distilled wisdom that is gained over time. That is why Judaism in King David's time had separation of powers, but not the vote of the people, whereas Judaism today supports modern democracy.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
But consider the damage and harm done to non-hebrews when the hebrews claimed that God was/is on their God and that they were chosen. It does not matter whether chosen means "favoured" or chosen to be "scapegoats", the fact is that hebrews/jews are seen by others to think themselves special in some way.
That is divisive and cannot come from God, only human nature...........and the hatred reigned down on the jews by others is as a consequence of the hebrews having coveted the nature of One God

True, but I don't see much puffing up because of it. Maybe the term means something different than it did then or possibly the word's meaning was distorted.