• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Satanists work on their public image?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I guess I do. I'm not even sure. Theistic Satanism (Luciferianism?) is quite a puzzle to me. How is it even possible? I have no idea.
There's a few on here; I think it would be similar to a gnostic view, with Lucifer being the one who rebelled against some form of tyrant.

To be fair, self-empowerment has its own pitfalls. LaVeyan Satanism is no more admirable just because it has such a value than Christianity would be just because it preaches expansive love and sacrifice.
I agree.

Also, one can't help but wonder just how seriously LaVey wanted to be taken. Apparently not much.
Again, I agree.

Uh? Why would atheists just pick on one of their own like that? Something must have made you stand out somehow.
Honestly, I have no idea- I think it was simply because I was called a 'devil worshipper' by one of the kids, and it stuck. It could be because I have (and had then) long hair, so I suppose it was easier to say I was a devil worshipper, since I was "different" in my style.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I didn't really go and read the thread but most of what I know about Satanists is from books and movies- and the books and movies are more than likely biased and quite possibly untrue.

I mean you hear about small animal sacrifices in these books but you actually never see any evidence of this. So, it is either well hidden or doesn't happen. Only Satanists can tell us what truly happens, and usually they don't.
I know absolutely nothing about this faith or non-faith or whatever. I do know one thing- since most of them here say they are atheists, then they couldn't possibly be truly worshiping something they don't even believe exists- namely Satan.

Anyone who puts the blame on the devil when they make a mistake are just looking for a scapegoat, no one wants to be accused of anything or admit they made a mistake. I guess it makes it easier to put the blame on some entity. Satan just may be that temptation that they follow and not an entity at all (that would fit into what the Bible teaches but only if you really think about it).

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Should satanists work on thier public image?

Maybe, maybe not. The problem here is, the public.

Working on public image to a lot of the public, would mean conforming to what they believe is best for society, which might undermine what you believe is best for yourself, or most comfortable for yourself.

General, unbaised decent behavior and attitude guidlines, SURE. But some non-"satanists" need to not feel greater than, and work on thiers as well.

I have worked with the public since I was 16. I hate the public. Trying to satsify the public with my religious image would be a nightmare.

Archaic

That Annoying Voice
I'm not exactly a Satanist, but I think I'm close enough to speak as if I were.

Honestly, I don't really care what others think about what I chose to believe in. If someone is willing to hate me for not bowing to their god, so be it. Personally, I think the reason that many LHPathers have such a bad public image is because of this additude. Changing from the name "Satanist" might help, but satan is a symbol that represents what the religion/philosophy is all about; Knowledge, and the quest for it. Why change because someone else doesn't agree?

So in short, no. I don't think we need to work on our public image. I'm not one for conflict, but I'm not going to go out of my way to look better for those who I don't repect in the first place.

Hope I made at least a little bit of sense, if not, you have permission to point and laugh.

Forkie

Sir, to you.
Maybe it's not Satanists who need to work on their image, but everyone else that needs to work on their understanding of what Satanism is.

From my understanding, Satanists don't worship "The Devil" in the sense that "The Devil" automatically means evil.

They worship Satan because they believe God is not telling the whole truth and is painting a nicer picture than the reality really is. They believe that Satan tells the truth and encourages freedom and self expression.

It must be said that I don't know much about Satanism, but I'm pretty sure it's as peaceful a religion as Christianity, but that the "truth" comes from somewhere else other than God.