• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should people believe the King James Version of the bible?

egroen

Our first prophet and president of the Church knew there was things missing, so He went to the Lord and asked Him for His help to repair the missing and wrong scriptures.

That's not the way I understand it... wasn't Joseph Smith supposed to have been visited by the Angel Moroni (not God) who brought him a message from the Lord (and the golden plates)?

Bishka

Veteran Member
egroen said:
That's not the way I understand it... wasn't Joseph Smith supposed to have been visited by the Angel Moroni (not God) who brought him a message from the Lord (and the golden plates)?

I was talking about the Bible, not the Book of Mormon. Yes, the golden plates are part of our canon, but I was referring to the Bible in my post.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
ProfLogic said:
It is possible but personally what do you think? Are ther parts that you strongly are an advocate of?

I reckon I'm an "advocate" for the ENTIRE Word of God...OT and NT. As a Christian, I'm bound to the laws contained within the NT.

heythere

ProfLogic said:
The KJV bible had been around for a while. Since its man's translation should you believe it in its entirety? If not, should you believe it at all or parts of it. Which parts do you think is accurate? Could the scholars and King James be also god inspired while the translation was taking place? This book have been widely publicized and distributed in the world.

James' inspiration was the rapid growth of literacy and the printing press. See, the good folks of his era had been sitting in church watching their preachers with their Bible in front of them for a long time. Then it became (relatively) cheap and easy to mass produce the written word and, at the same time, his subjects were learning to read. So, to make sure these folks got the exact message he wanted them to hear, James had his crew spend seven years reworking the Bible to his liking. Thus the "Authorized" version.

The real title should have been "The Bible According to King James."

Smoke

Done here.
ProfLogic said:
The KJV bible had been around for a while. Since its man's translation should you believe it in its entirety?
I always love that "man's translation" dodge. ;) All the books we know of were written by humans, and all translations were made by humans; as far as we know, God doesn't write books or translate books.

No, you shouldn't believe the KJV in its entirety. You shouldn't invest any book, person, or institution with infallibility. (Except me. As Ashley Brilliant says, "My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.")

However, you should definitely read the KJV, because even if it's not the best translation out there, it's better than most of the more popular ones, and is rendered in better English than any of them -- except for Monsignor Knox's translation.

FFH

Veteran Member
Proflogic said:
Could the King James be god inspired while the translation was taking place?
Yes, but there are some errors in the King James.

Here is a link to the Joseph Smith inspired version of the Bible, in which the necessary corrections were made.

Inspired Bible

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
angellous_evangellous said:
English Standard Version is the best these days.

Avoid the NIV like the plague.

I have been told by several scholars that the NRSV is the most accurate English translation, alongside the ESV.

reyjamiei

ProfLogic said:
Do you think the translators were god inspired is a better question? Aren't women translation now included so as not to alienate women in religion?

Man's translation simply means the translation of mankind. Women are part of mankind, if they like it or not. We're all human.

Bick

Yes, the KJV has been around awhile, and it is obvious that many words and phrases mean something different today, than in the Old English. Yet, for many of us who memorized verses using the KJV, and have read it often, it is good to turn to.

But, over the years, I have been taught how to verify the accuracy of any version, through the use of a concordance (Young's or Strong's), and other reference tools.

Since, all versions are translated from Greek manuscripts which are only copies of the originals, and these manuscripts, whether Alexandrian, Byzantine, or others, do vary somewhat between each other. But it is important to realize, that the differences are, for the most part, minor. And the important things, such as salvation by faith, judgements to come, etc., are in all of them.
One major difference between the KJV, and the host of other similar versions, and the more literal translations, such as The Emphasized Bible by Rotherham, Young's Literal Translation of the Bible, Wilson's Emphatic Diaglott, and The Concordant Version of the New Testament, is that the KJV, et al, inconsistently translate the Greek noun, "aion" (age, unknown time period), into many different words, way too many to list here. And the adjective, "aionios", (pertaining to an age or ages), is like wise is translated into many different words or phrases, generally meaning eternal, or everlasting.
Well, these are some of my thoughts. Bick

Deut 13:1

Here's a better question, of the people who posted, who is qualified to say which version is better translated????????

Other then which meshes with your personal beliefs, no one here knows anything about hebrew/greek. So on what basis, other then your own un-educated beliefs, what do you base your analsysis that the KJV is better then the NIV or even the Mormon Bible. Be honest, can you tell me what bereishis means without looking it up.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
People have never stopped rewriting the Bible.
Later scollars always think they can do a better Job.
Much truth can be found in all Bibles
King James version gives me the greatest pleasure.
No bible is the literal and whole truth.

reyjamiei

Deut 13:1 said:
Here's a better question, of the people who posted, who is qualified to say which version is better translated????????

Other then which meshes with your personal beliefs, no one here knows anything about hebrew/greek. So on what basis, other then your own un-educated beliefs, what do you base your analsysis that the KJV is better then the NIV or even the Mormon Bible. Be honest, can you tell me what bereishis means without looking it up.

The Mormon Bible is the King James Version. The Book of Mormon is not the Bible.

Booko

Deviled Hen
ProfLogic said:
The KJV bible had been around for a while. Since its man's translation should you believe it in its entirety? If not, should you believe it at all or parts of it. Which parts do you think is accurate? Could the scholars and King James be also god inspired while the translation was taking place? This book have been widely publicized and distributed in the world.
Interepretation of *any* text comes from a relationship between the reader and the text. Having the text in the original is no guarantee of a proper hermeneutic.

You seem to have an approach that is treating texts as if they were, say, laws of physics. A text cannot be proven right or wrong in the way, say, the laws of gravity can.

If you keep using a screwdriver to hammer in a nail, it's no wonder you keep coming up with wacky results, not to mention shoddy reasoning.

If you want to examine a text, then you use the tools of Language Arts and history -- not science. Logic and empiricism are useful epistemological tools, but in areas of life like this, they are often of limited use.

nutshell

angellous_evangellous said:
English Standard Version is the best these days.

Agreed regarding the NIV.

Is the English Standard Version a better translation in your opinion or just easier to read than the Old English?

I'd like to know what you two have against the NIV as well. I've compared a number of passages from the NIV, KJV, RSV, and a couple of French translations, and they all seem to be saying essentially the same things. (In the ones I've compared.)

Arben

Code:

Why would you say such a thing? The NIV is an excellant translation. Not only is it my favorite, but the favorite of many Christians - including my pastor.

God bless.

ChrissiAnn

If one chooses to believe in ANY religion, one really should delve into and UNDERSTAND what he/she is actually believing.

The bible itself is a collection of many ancient writings of nearly 2,000 years worth from various different authors. Just like Islam, Judaism (and hence Christianity) originated in the Middle East. Thus, you are likely to find a lot of barbarism in both Judeochristianity and Islam. Notice in the Bible how God orders and ordains genocide. He also orders the brutal killing of not only innocent animals (cows, goats, doves), such as slitting their throats, pouring blood all over the place, but also advocates twisting their heads off and killing other humans as well. This sounds quite Satanic.

But again, realize how Middle Eastern relgions are rife with slaughter, blood and gore, including the Quran and Bible.

But just as Judeochristians believe that the entire Bible is the "word of god," so do the Muslims believe that the Quran is the "word of god." Ahh, some conflict here. Both the Bible and the Quran state that they're each the unadulturated word of god, though both contain contradictions and inaccuracies when compared to cold hard facts.

But one thing I would like for people to consider is that when you study the Bible and Jewish history, realize that the Hebrew who were coming up with the creation stories believed that their "world" WAS that section of the middle east. They believed they lived in what looked like a snow globe. The Bible describes the firmament as a "scroll" with stars stuck in it. There are gates that open in the firmament to allow water to flow in as rain. (We now know these are "clouds" that rain water, and not floodgates or window to heaven.)

They believed that the stars were stuck in this firmament, and that the firmament could be rolled back as a scroll and you could see God sitting there.

In revelation, there is mention of the "stars falling to earth" and people screaming. The fact that stars are falling to earth signifies that the plastic portion of the snow globe is releasing its stars in preparation of the plastic to scroll back so that they could see God and Jesus sitting up there. Keep in mind that if only ONE star hit earth, there would be no one left to holler. Back then, they did not realize that stars are actually huge fireballs, but were just small twinkles stuck in the clear plastic of the snow globe.

Also, it amazes me that people still believe the "tower of Babel" story. They were trying to build a tall tower to reach God, so God got nervous and struck them down. We now know that when people climb Mount Everest, they die from lack of oxygen unless they have oxgen tanks, and even then people still die. Thus, God would have nothing to worry about. Besides, since then, we now can leave earth and fly into space. There is no plastic firmament there, and when astronauts are in space, there is not God or Jesus to see. This is something they did not realize when they were writing the Bible over nearly 2,000 years.

They truly believe they lived on a flat earth with a snow globe firmament. We didn't know the earth was round until 1492, which was way after the Bible scrolls were penned.