• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should people believe the King James Version of the bible?

ProfLogic

The KJV bible had been around for a while. Since its man's translation should you believe it in its entirety? If not, should you believe it at all or parts of it. Which parts do you think is accurate? Could the scholars and King James be also god inspired while the translation was taking place? This book have been widely publicized and distributed in the world.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm partial to the KJV of the Bible although I refer to other versions as well.

I'm sure it's possible that the translators could be inspired while translation occured although I don't think it's much of an issue as the KJV isn't so different from OTHER translations.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
The KJV bible had been around for a while. Since its man's translation should you believe it in its entirety? If not, should you believe it at all or parts of it. Which parts do you think is accurate? Could the scholars and King James be also god inspired while the translation was taking place? This book have been widely publicized and distributed in the world.

Nope. In fact, the belief of my Church, and I follow this belief.

"We believe the Bible to be the word of God, as far as it is translated correctly..."(Part of the 8th Article of Faith)

I believe all of it, but I believe there have been plain and precious truths taken out, and that things have been interpreted wrongly.

Be god?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
ProfLogic said:

here's a shock...

the KJV isn't the only version of the bible that exists or is used:eek:

you won't find one at my shul

egroen

I believe it is beautifully written, prefer it to other versions, but by no means take it literally.

-Erin

A

angellous_evangellous

Since its man's translation should you believe it in its entirety?

Women can do it better, which is why we have new translations.

Could the scholars and King James be also god inspired while the translation was taking place?

Sure.

Faint

I was wondering about this too...I've been criticized for quoting the KJ edition.

What is supposedly the most accurate version of the Bible?

ProfLogic

dawny0826 said:
I'm partial to the KJV of the Bible although I refer to other versions as well.

I'm sure it's possible that the translators could be inspired while translation occured although I don't think it's much of an issue as the KJV isn't so different from OTHER translations.

It is possible but personally what do you think? Are ther parts that you strongly are an advocate of?

ProfLogic

Faint said:
I was wondering about this too...I've been criticized for quoting the KJ edition.

I have heard none but I have been seeing the torah lately. No matter what somebody says, it would be impossible to determine the true meaning of the scriptures unless the authors are present. Like the author of the Da Vinci code which he said was fiction. But opened up a new way of thinking.

A

angellous_evangellous

Faint said:

English Standard Version is the best these days.

Avoid the NIV like the plague.

A

angellous_evangellous

ProfLogic said:
it would be impossible to determine the true meaning of the scriptures unless the authors are present.

Then why write anything down I wonder.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
ProfLogic said:

Since the Bible is reputedly God inspired, and written by men, who else would you have translate it ?

Parts of the Bible, I believe, are more by way of a historical record, whilst other parts, though God inspired were written by men. I am sure they put their stamp on it; after all, it would be human to do so.

This book have been widely publicized and distributed in the world.

Yes, it has. I must admit that it is the version I prefer best. Why ? Because it was the first to which I was introduced.

ProfLogic

angellous_evangellous said:

Women can do it better, which is why we have new translations.

Could the scholars and King James be also god inspired while the translation was taking place?

Sure.

Do you think the translators were god inspired is a better question? Aren't women translation now included so as not to alienate women in religion?

A

angellous_evangellous

Do you think the translators were god inspired is a better question?

There's no way to know this. There are some critical errors in the KJV, but one who insists inspiration can simply say that the errors are inspired too.

Aren't women translation now included so as not to alienate women in religion?

Of course. Also, some female interpreters/translators are actually more qualified than some men.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
I believe all of it, but I believe there have been plain and precious truths taken out, and that things have been interpreted wrongly.

Be god?

How can you believe all of it if you knew things might have been interpreted the wrong way?

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
How can you believe all of it if you knew things might have been interpreted the wrong way?

Because, its called by the name of Joseph Smith Translation. Our first prophet and president of the Church knew there was things missing, so He went to the Lord and asked Him for His help to repair the missing and wrong scriptures.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
Because, its called by the name of Joseph Smith Translation. Our first prophet and president of the Church knew there was things missing, so He went to the Lord and asked Him for His help to repair the missing and wrong scriptures.

Is he still alive and how can I contact him?

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Is he still alive and how can I contact him?

Are you serious?

No, Joseph Smith died on June 27, 1844 in Carthage, Illinois, murdered by an angry mob. Joseph Smith's brother Hyrum, was also murdered in that jail.