• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should patriotic songs be taught in public schools?

Should patriotic songs be taught in public schools?

• No

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

evearael

Yes, because they are part of American history and culture and can contribute to a sense of unity in a vast country. That said, I would think it would be lovely to expose children to patriotic songs from other countries, as well, so they can better understand other peoples.

standing_alone

I don't care either way at the moment. I know that when I was in elemantry school, we learned some songs one can deem "patriotic." I don't see where any harm can be done if it's just singing a song. I've never really thought too much about this. I guess it could depend on the context these songs are taught and sung - teaching them for their historical significance is fine, but teaching them to instill a nationalistic "The U.S. is better than everyone else" attitude is not fine, in my opinion. I don't know. I have no real strong opinion at the moment. I guess I'll wait to see arguments from both sides and then start to form an opinion. ;)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I voted "yes", because I believe that true values include a pride in our Country.........if children can't even have pride in their Country, they will respect nothing.

kevmicsmi

The U.S. is better than everyone else" attitude is not fine, in my opinion.
but if you dont feel your country is the best of the bunch, why do you still live here? Not trying to be combative, im really curious.

Faint

It's unnecessary. Kids will grow up learning to identify with their country regardless of the songs they sing. I grew up listening to a lot of British rock. It didn't make me think "England rules" or diminish my pride in the U.S. That being said, I wouldn't forbid patriotic songs.

But how many good patriotic songs can you think of anyway? Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." maybe? Metallica's "Don't Tread On Me"? I kind of like "Territories" by Rush--"better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world, than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." Words to live by.

Yerda

Veteran Member
michel said:
...if children can't even have pride in their Country, they will respect nothing.
I find that as offensive as the drooling chauvinistic drivel I'm expected to adhere to.

standing_alone

kevmicsmi said:
but if you dont feel your country is the best of the bunch, why do you still live here?

I don't feel any country is the "best of the bunch." There are good and bad things about every country. I personally, like living in America. I'm happy to live here. But I don't think we're better than every other country. I just think having a "my country is the best and all others are inferior" attitude is what leads to such things as other countries disliking us (because of our arrogance) and us thinking we have a right to do what ever we want with no consideration to the rest of the world. That's just my opinion.

Daibhidh

I have voted a resounding YES to this question, as it touches on subjects very close to my heart.
:mad:
To cut a long story short, I come from a country (all be it an otherwise peaceful, well-developed one) where even the native language is NOT taught in public schools. Infact, if it was not for a recent changes in awareness of the need for that language as part of the sustainable culture, many young students may not even be aware of it. -Much is the case for most of the mainland.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I think it's okay for it to be taught, but they shouldn't be required to sing them or recite them in front of a class. We had to do that or write them down and hand them into the teacher; I wrote them, since I'm shy. I also just think it would be kind of messed up to require children to sing patriotic songs... what is this, China?

nutshell

Faint said:
It's unnecessary. Kids will grow up learning to identify with their country regardless of the songs they sing. I grew up listening to a lot of British rock. It didn't make me think "England rules" or diminish my pride in the U.S. That being said, I wouldn't forbid patriotic songs.

But how many good patriotic songs can you think of anyway? Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." maybe? Metallica's "Don't Tread On Me"? I kind of like "Territories" by Rush--"better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world, than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." Words to live by.

You're a bit caught up in rock, aren't you?

The patriotic songs sung in schools include:

The Star Spangeled Banner
My Country Tis of Thee
Home on the Range (not really sure on this one)
Oh Beautiful for Spacious Skies!
and so on.

Ardent Listener

nutshell said:
You're a bit caught up in rock, aren't you?

The patriotic songs sung in schools include:

The Star Spangeled Banner
My Country Tis of Thee
Home on the Range (not really sure on this one)
Oh Beautiful for Spacious Skies!
and so on.

Home on the Range is to be included if you are a Texan.:D

Maxist

No, if you will only be learning your own counrtries' patriotic songs. But, if you are taught the songs of all ---or many--- countries then yes. Sadly, in America we are taught to love our countries', and ours alone. We are taught, in a sense, Facism. Although wee are taught that it is socially unaccepted to be extemely racist.

Ardent Listener

Maxist said:
No, if you will only be learning your own counrtries' patriotic songs. But, if you are taught the songs of all ---or many--- countries then yes. Sadly, in America we are taught to love our countries', and ours alone. We are taught, in a sense, Facism. Although wee are taught that it is socially unaccepted to be extemely racist.

Do you think it is racist if one is not a mutinationalist?

PureX

Veteran Member
Does a patriotic song make young people proud of their country? I doubt it. We can teach them a couple of songs for the sake of tradition, but if we want them to be proud of their country, we need to teach them about what their country has done that deserves their being proud of it. And more importantly than that, we need to teach them how and why they should be proud to participate in it's process.

Young people have the worst voting record, and the greatest apathy and ignorance toward civil discourse. The more they ignore their own government, the more their government ignores them. This is not healthy. We need to start teaching young people real history, and civics, again, so they can become informed and attentive citizens. That's FAR more important than their knowing how to sing a patriotic song at a baseball game.

c0da

That is a stupid comment. Sorry if that sounds a wee bit insulting, but it is. Do you know what fascism is? It is not racist to be proud of what you are.

I think in a country with such racial diversity as America, and nowadays my country too, it helps to have something to unite under.. a national flag, a national anthem etc.