• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should one give money to the poor?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste,

should one give money to the poor? When I visit the Hare Krishnas, I always have to pass by some homeless people. I read the Bhagavad Gita of Prabhupada who states that one should only give money for religious causes. I acknowledge that reading just one statement does not show the complete picture. I am curious what others have to say on the issue. Thanks for your replies.

Shantanu

Namaste,

should one give money to the poor? When I visit the Hare Krishnas, I always have to pass by some homeless people. I read the Bhagavad Gita of Prabhupada who states that one should only give money for religious causes. I acknowledge that reading just one statement does not show the complete picture. I am curious what others have to say on the issue. Thanks for your replies.
If you wish to help the poor thinking that helping the poor is a religious act, do so. If you wish to help the poor without any consideration of religion, do so. The important thing is if someone is looking for help and has asked you for money, and you can afford to give it, there is no harm in giving it. If you cannot afford to give alms than do not give it and explain that to the beggar. If you believe in Prabhupada's dictat of only giving alms to religious causes tell that to the beggar.

That way your conscience is clear.

ajay0

Namaste,

Krishna himself stole butter and milk from the Gopis and gave them to starving orphans and people in his village.
The gopis at that time was quite materialistic and interested in moneymaking, and Krishna in turn helped to bring them around to spiritual development and bliss.

There was an incident where Vivekananda was travelling in a train with some friends. He came across a poor muslim selling peanuts. Vivekananda asked his friends to buy peanuts from the man so that the man will be able to earn some money to take care of himself and his family. Vivekananda's friends bought the peanuts, but Vivekananda did not eat them, which showed his motive was to help the man and not for his own consumption.I think you can learn a lot from this incident.

Vivekananda coined the concept of 'Daridra Narayana - Treating the poor as God himself.

Remembering this incident, I once bought biscuits from a poor shopkeeper and gave them to an old woman seeking alms on the street.

Similarly, once while attending a party, I found that a lot of food was going to waste and going to be put in trash. I took some food on some newspapers and went out looking for someone in need of food at night. I found an old guy in a corner of a building, who looked diseased, very poor and lonely. I put the food in front of him and walked away. Looking back, I found him eating the food silently.

Gandhi once forgot to take a slipper of his when he boarded the train. When the train started moving, he removed his remaining slipper and threw it out, stating that his slippers can be useful to someone else.

So there are creative ways by which you can ease physical and psychological pain of the needy by utilizing the resources around you.

BG 17.20: Charity given to a worthy person simply because it is right to give, without consideration of anything in return, at the proper time and in the proper place, is stated to be in the mode of goodness.

Giving money to the poor is fine, but this does not mean that you should go overboard and become bankrupt in the process, or err in giving money to the wrong person.

If you give money to a fraudster or alcoholic, you will obviously be reaping spiritual demerit rather than merit.

Last edited:

ajay0

Teachings of Hinduism with respect to charity...

“Dharma has four basic tenets, one amongst which is the most important in the age of Kali—give in charity by whatever means possible.” - Ramayana

“From the wealth you have earned by rightful means, take out one-tenth, and as a matter of duty, give it away in charity. Dedicate your charity for the pleasure of God.” - Skanda Purana

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Namaste,

I would much rather see people provide food and shelter to the poor, and then teach them how to make money themselves.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Namaste,

Yes, of course, but do it wisely. We donate to the local food bank regularly. (Every grocery trip.) So help the worthy individuals, and sometimes it can be somebody you know.

Shantanu

It's so odd. Somebody can have a brother or sister or son or daughter, or neighbour that is temporarily hard on their luck, and not help one iota. Far sightedness?
One must do everything possible to strengthen one's family bonds and look after neighbours.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
One must do everything possible to strengthen one's family bonds and look after neighbours.

Societies with strong sense of community still do that. Villages. But one of the downfalls of globalisation has been the disappearance of the village.

Shantanu

Not sure what you mean, nor how it relates to the thread topic.
The OP thread wants opinions of whether an adherent of a particular faith should give alms to the poor if the founder of that faith (Prabhupada) prohibits that act, right?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The OP thread wants opinions of whether an adherent of a particular faith should give alms to the poor if the founder of that faith (Prabhupada) prohibits that act, right?
Not related to patriotism, other than if you mean patriotic to your particular Hindu sect, and in this case it's ISKCON?

Shantanu

Not related to patriotism, other than if you mean patriotic to your particular Hindu sect, and in this case it's ISKCON?
In the issue of village-or nation-patriotism, it could come in conflict with your Hindu sect patriotism,that is @Sirona 's concern I believe.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is a saying attributed to Saint Tulsi Das in Hinduism - "Dayā dharma kā mūl hai, pāp mūl abhimān; Tulsi dayā na chodiye, jab lag tan mein prān." (The base of dharma is peity, and the base of sin is pride; Tulsi says do not leave peity till you have life in your body). Equally important is to abandon any kind of pride (in this ephimeral world).
I suppose that is final and overrides any other Acharya. Tulsi is one of the greatest Acharyas of Hinduism. Daya is a religious activity.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I would trust my gut instincts on the day.
We were on a tour, in a very poor country (Dominican Republic) and there were beggars around the tourist places. I snuck away, over to a little shed of a house, and gave some cash to the matron of the place. It's tricky. In India professional begging is so rampant, I never gave.