• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Judges "hug" people convicted of serious crimes?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Like "I would hate to see what a lawyer biased against white people and cops could turn a hug from a judge into, if the judge hugged a white cop."?
That's what it sounds like you're saying.
Tom
Nope. What any lawyer could do. They can already be very picky and choosy when it comes to jury selection, call for changes of venue, what will happen should they have a hugging judge as something they can argue against in the event of an unfavorable trial outcome.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
How was what the judge did bias or prejudice ?

I just explained to you (several times over) using a source from Texas judicial code of conduct. She, as an arbitrator of the court, is displaying her religiousity in a secular court of law. Regardless whether she has already settled a conviction, she was still in a court of law, wearing professional attire and still in the eyes of the public. Her giving out a Bible and asking the convicted to read specific chapters of the Bible violates the laws of codes of conduct. Because all of this is an endorsement of a specific religion in a secular court of law.

The trial was over

Sigh....Again, They were still in the courtroom. She is still in active judge even after the ruling was over. She doesn't stop being a judge in the courtroom. That is like saying after the ruling nobody still cannot get a contempt of court charge. you can still be held in contempt of court even after the trial is over if you have an outburst. Until they leave that courtroom and until they're off the premises, they are still in a court of law, and she is still an active judge.

the killer was convicted and going to prison, the judge had no further role in the case. So, how could she manifest bias ? Bias of what ?

See above

These anti religion groups file complaints all the time, and anyone has the right to complain. Now days no good deed goes unpunished.

They actually have a case. The judge directly violated the law, do I have to quote the rules again for you?

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Judges and other authorities are not IMO really out of line simply for being human beings having emotional reactions.

Yes they are. Because instead of talking about one victim here the stroking of the hair by the police officer not to mention the hug by the judge renders the accused killer as a victim. She was no victim proven by prosecutors nor was this an accidental killing. Amber Guyger admitted on the stand that she had no intent to retreat even though she perceived that her apartment was broken in to nor did she even render aid when she knew she had shot someone.

All she cared about was her job after shooting someone. This is why I found 9-10th's posts so pertinent:

The issue is more with selective compassion. A judge that goes out of her way to single one person out for a special level of compassion or sympathy is sendi g a signal.

Why wasn't the Somolian cop who mistakenly shot the white woman given the same level of compassion? Or OJ Simpson? Or any other defendant that is facing a trial? How many convicted criminals did this judge hug or how many convicted criminals did that Sheriff who stroke Guyger's hair console?

But we should be wise to what those reactions, as well as their absences, indicate.

Again, as the lawyers in this case have said, the actions of the judge and the police officer consoling Guyger's hair have displayed behaviors that are unheard of in a court of law.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
What difference does being in court and wearing a robe make ?

It's called professionalism and representing the entity called "The Judicial System."

She is a Christian, and gave the convicted a Bible. You are inferring bias , in a situation where any bias would have exactly 0 effect. Bias must have an effect, or it can´t be bias.

Because the judge in a secular courtroom was proseltyzing in her professional attire. She is still a judge and still in a courtroom regardless whether the trial was over they are still on government property! I don't see how hard it is to grasp this understanding. So let me ask you something would you feel the same way if another judge gave a convicted rapist a copy of the Qur'an or is it only okay just for Christians?

but if I am a judge, and within the scope of administering the law, no bias can be found, am I biased ?

But you cannot administer secular law and proselytize and endorse a specific religion in court it is a violation of code of conduct I just told you this in the last post.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Again, as the lawyers in this case have said the actions of the judge and the police officer consoling Guyger's behavior are unheard of in a court of law.
It really does say a lot when McDonald's is more strict about employees fraternizing than the law seems to be.

We Never Know

No Slack
As was discussed in another thread regarding the trial and conviction of former Dallas Police Officer Amber Geiger, there was very much an outrage from the Dallas community and on social on how it improper it appeared that not only the judge (Tammy Kemp) hugged a convicted killer, but a Sheriff officer could be seen stroking the hair of Geiger as well. Although the judge's intent in hugging Geiger was done for the purpose of spirituality by giving her a Bible, it was done in addition to solidify the words of solace and forgiveness prompted by Botham Jean's brother. According to an article by NBCDFW channel 5 article an organization "Freedom From Religion Foundation" filed a complaint against judge Kemp citing that "Judge Kemp's actions were inappropriate and unconstitutional" (Source).

I think what begs the question is whether or not during or after arbitration is a judge supposed to hug someone convicted of a serious crime such as murder. If we look at OJ Simpson he was not hugged nor did the judge share the Biblical word with him after being found not guilty, nor did the judge in Muhammad Nur's case. I think this issue definitely questions the judge's ability of impartiality in serious criminal cases. I mean would it be acceptable if a judge hugged someone convicted of child rape because they wanted to share the gospel of Jesus with the convicted?

What are your thoughts?

Aren't you the same poster that started the thread something about white privilege"?

Maybe you're just mad because the afro-american judge, even though she did her job, hugged the white cop that killed an afro-american.

That female cop may have thought she was at her apartment when she shot him. I don't know what she was thinking, however it's possible and manslaughter should have been on the table.

What's gets me is there are cops that shoot and kill people that are running away from the cop and get off. If the perp is running away, they aren't a threat to the cop.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
How Christian of you, and also hypocritical.

I gave my daughter a stun gun to taser anybody's joystick who'd try to rape her. This is indeed Christian of me, because I'm wanting people to follow what J.C. preached when he said "do unto others as they'd do unto you".

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
After the trial is done, the person is convicted, and the judge will never have further professional contact with the woman, what are the two positions ?

Defendant and prosecutor are the sides.

A judge's conduct can be used as grounds for an appeal.

When required she was totally neutral.

Assertion. See the above issues with conduct.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Aren't you the same poster that started the thread something about white privilege"?

Um if the author of the thread to which you participated in had the author named "Epic Beard Man" well I would say that is a very astute assessment (sarcasm)

Maybe you're just mad because the afro-american judge, even though she did her job, hugged the white cop that killed an afro-american.

No. I'm not mad at all. I wasn't on trial, however I do see a judge handling a situation that violates judicial code of conduct. As far as the "afro-American" judge who hugged the white (ex) cop who killed that "afro-american," I'd like to thank you for highlighting and proving the validity of my thread with that remark.

What's gets me is there are cops that shoot and kill people that are running away from the cop and get off. If the perp is running away, they aren't a threat to the cop.

What does this garbage of a statement have to do with that "afro-american" that was shot and killed in his own house eating ice cream?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I gave my daughter a stun gun to taser anybody's joystick who'd try to rape her. This is indeed Christian of me, because I'm wanting people to follow what J.C. preached when he said "do unto others as they'd do unto you".

Again, how Christian of you and how hypocritical.

We Never Know

No Slack
Um if the author of the thread to which you participated in had the author named "Epic Beard Man" well I would say that is a very astute assessment (sarcasm)

No. I'm not mad at all. I wasn't on trial, however I do see a judge handling a situation that violates judicial code of conduct. As far as the "afro-American" judge who hugged the white (ex) cop who killed that "afro-american," I'd like to thank you for highlighting and proving the validity of my thread with that remark.

What does this garbage of a statement have to do with that "afro-american" that was shot and killed in his own house eating ice cream?

I see you left out part of my post, some consider that quote mining.

Plus you want to be sarcastic eh?
Fact is there wasn't an "afro-american" that was shot and killed in his own house eating ice cream". He lived in an apartment, not a house. I would say that isn't a very astute assessment from you.

The cop was found guilty of murder. How did her "white privilege" serve her?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I see you left out part of my post, some consider that quote mining.

Leave what out? You asked me a rather dumb question because you participated in the very thread you questioned me about.

Fact is there wasn't an "afro-american" that was shot and killed in his own house eating ice cream". He lived in an apartment, not a house.

House, apartment, whatever. He was an innocent man shot in his own place of residence. We often in the English language tend to interchange house and home with other words which is what I did. But nice try...

The cop was found guilty of murder. How did her "white privilege" serve her?

So now we are talking about white privilege eh?

Well for one, she was convicted to 10 years. Considering it was found she was convicted of murder and that the maximum sentence was 99 years and the prosecutors wanted 28 but convicted of 10, and will maybe serve five of that I'd say that is one way of looking at it. When it came to the media instead of looking at Guyger as someone who committed murder it often fed the narrative of a remorseful victim who simply made a mistake despite the fact that Guyger has several text messages one of which she made the claim that she was racist.

Not to mention her violent nature as such in the following:

"During a January 15, 2018 text message exchange, during the Martin Luther King Jr. parade in Dallas, someone texted Guyger, “When does this end lol.”

To which Jean’s killer responded, “When MLK is dead… oh wait…”

Source:https://www.essence.com/news/amber-guygers-racist-text-messages/

"Guyger also had a habit of liking violent Pinterest posts, including one that reads, “I wear all black to remind you not to mess with me, because I’m already dressed for your funeral.”

(Same Source As Above)

"Under a post of a Minion character from Despicable Me, with the text, “No one ever thanks me for having the patience not to kill them,” Guyger commented, “People are so ungrateful.”

I have no sympathy for this B****** she can rot in hell and she is only remorseful because she was caught and convicted.

Oh and that white privilege?

"In June of this year, former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor was sentenced to 12.5 years in prison for third-degree murder and manslaughter in the 2017 shooting of unarmed Australian woman Justine Damond."

Female police officer who shot neighbour found guilty of murder

Both were alleged mistaken identity. Guyger was also treated and portrayed as a victim of circumstance, Noor wasn't. Guyger was consoled by both a judge and a fellow officer, Noor wasn't.

Last edited:

shmogie

It's called professionalism and representing the entity called "The Judicial System."

Because the judge in a secular courtroom was proseltyzing in her professional attire. She is still a judge and still in a courtroom regardless whether the trial was over they are still on government property! I don't see how hard it is to grasp this understanding. So let me ask you something would you feel the same way if another judge gave a convicted rapist a copy of the Qur'an or is it only okay just for Christians?

But you cannot administer secular law and proselytize and endorse a specific religion in court it is a violation of code of conduct I just told you this in the last post.
No, your last post cited a code that stated a judge could not manifest bias in administering the law.

This judge did not do that.

If she spoke to the woman for 30 seconds and gave her a koran it would mean absolutely nothing to me. It was a moment of human compassion and I see it as such, nothing more.

I am amazed that you are so offended at this.

Nevertheless, we disagree, it will have to remain that way.

shmogie

That female cop may have thought she was at her apartment when she shot him. I don't know what she was thinking, however it's possible and manslaughter should have been on the table.

It depends upon the fleeing felony as to whether a cop is authorized to fire. If the suspect is an escaping mass murderer, I would drop him in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, policy is not to fire upon someone fleeing.

Unless the law has changed since I retired, which is possible, a Police Officer, by law could fire upon a fleeing felon, though every department had policies against doing so.

shmogie

Defendant and prosecutor are the sides.

A judge's conduct can be used as grounds for an appeal.

Assertion. See the above issues with conduct.
The woman was no longer a defendant, she was a convicted killer. There was no longer a prosecution.

Shad

Veteran Member
The woman was no longer a defendant, she was a convicted killer. There was no longer a prosecution.

Conduct outside the case is still relevant. Corruption for example takes place outside the court in order to effect a court case.

We Never Know

No Slack
Leave what out? You asked me a rather dumb question because you participated in the very thread you questioned me about.

House, apartment, whatever. He was an innocent man shot in his own place of residence. We often in the English language tend to interchange house and home with other words which is what I did. But nice try...

So now we are talking about white privilege eh?

Well for one, she was convicted to 10 years. Considering it was found she was convicted of murder and that the maximum sentence was 99 years and the prosecutors wanted 28 but convicted of 10, and will maybe serve five of that I'd say that is one way of looking at it. When it came to the media instead of looking at Guyger as someone who committed murder it often fed the narrative of a remorseful victim who simply made a mistake despite the fact that Guyger has several text messages one of which she made the claim that she was racist.

Not to mention her violent nature as such in the following:

"During a January 15, 2018 text message exchange, during the Martin Luther King Jr. parade in Dallas, someone texted Guyger, “When does this end lol.”

To which Jean’s killer responded, “When MLK is dead… oh wait…”

Source:https://www.essence.com/news/amber-guygers-racist-text-messages/

"Guyger also had a habit of liking violent Pinterest posts, including one that reads, “I wear all black to remind you not to mess with me, because I’m already dressed for your funeral.”

(Same Source As Above)

"Under a post of a Minion character from Despicable Me, with the text, “No one ever thanks me for having the patience not to kill them,” Guyger commented, “People are so ungrateful.”

I have no sympathy for this B****** she can rot in hell and she is only remorseful because she was caught and convicted.

Oh and that white privilege?

"In June of this year, former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor was sentenced to 12.5 years in prison for third-degree murder and manslaughter in the 2017 shooting of unarmed Australian woman Justine Damond."

Female police officer who shot neighbour found guilty of murder

Both were alleged mistaken identity. Guyger was also treated and portrayed as a victim of circumstance, Noor wasn't. Guyger was consoled by both a judge and a fellow officer, Noor wasn't.
And there it is. Now it's clear why the thread was started :)

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
It depends upon the fleeing felony as to whether a cop is authorized to fire. If the suspect is an escaping mass murderer, I would drop him in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, policy is not to fire upon someone fleeing.

Unless the law has changed since I retired, which is possible, a Police Officer, by law could fire upon a fleeing felon, though every department had policies against doing so.

It seems anymore any fleeing perp is shot