• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should interest be banned

Should finance companies stop charging interest

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There is a
Should Incest be banned
There is a
Should incense be banned
And now...
Should interest be banned.

By interest i mean financial, that additional money paid when you take out a loan. That which makes finance companies very rich.

This time of year, during summer sales or because car manufacturers haven't sold enough cars there are offers of 0% apr so we know it's possible.

Should this offer be permanen for all loans.

P.s. if 0% apr is not available in your country please just pretend...

Alien826

No religious beliefs
If we didn't have interest, we wouldn't have loans. Why would people lend money, and forego other uses they could put it to, if there was no incentive to do so? That said, lots of bad stuff, like predatory lending, comes with the system.

Poor people do tend to be at higher risk of default. The way interest rates are calculated reflect that. The answer is to address poverty, not demonize lenders.

Zero rates by (say) car dealers are a form of discount. By the way, those "no interest for two years" deals popular with furniture shops prey on those that are not good at managing money. If you don't pay off the the entire sum within the two year period, the entire amount of interest (at an exorbitant rate) becomes due.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Islamic banks that don't charge interest, and from what I read welcome non-muslims.
If one thinks interest is "sticking it to you",
Muslims do the same using a different (bizarre) structure.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Islamic banks that don't charge interest, and from what I read welcome non-muslims.
And for a long time charging interest was also forbidden for Christians. Throughout the middle ages and some time later, you could only lend money (for interest) from the Jews.
I'm totally against incorporating religious rules into our laws but the banning of interest is a great idea and justifiable by secular philosophy.