• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Healthcare cover the cost of Abortions?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But you've explained a basis of rationality that you said works for you. Something you are not making up. Perhaps there are others who agree with you, and who can see reason to 'save the instruments.' Thus, holding a position that is 'pro instrument' wouldn't be irrational.
Well, no. Just because I can describe my thought process doesn't make my belief rational. This is still true even if I can find people who agree with me.

As a standard for myself, my own beliefs work fine. However, if I'm going to use them as the basis for restrictions on others, then I need a justification that works outside my own head.

E. Nato Difficile

I thank God often for two women who would disagree with you - the mother of my adopted brother, and the mother of my adopted grandson.

Thank you, whoever and wherever you are, for allowing this little one to live, and to become part of our family!
Okay. Glad your family members are happy and healthy.

I'm adopted too, so of course I think it's a good thing my biological mom didn't opt for abortion. But if she had, I simply wouldn't be around to think so. I can't be so narcissistic as to deny that's just the way it could have happened, along with countless other possibilities along the way.

-Nato

pwfaith

I thank God often for two women who would disagree with you - the mother of my adopted brother, and the mother of my adopted grandson.

Thank you, whoever and wherever you are, for allowing this little one to live, and to become part of our family!

AMEN!! I'm also thankful! My sister and many friends who cannot have children are able to be parents and bless the lives of their children b/c someone was selfless.

E. Nato Difficile

It's ironic that the pro-lifers here think mothers should be congratulated for making a choice that, if pro-lifers had their way, would be the only safe, legal choice available to them anyway.

Did I say ironic? My bad. I meant to say disturbing.

-Nato

Alceste

Vagabond
What if the old people don't want to die sooner?

My point is that, fiscally speaking, it is undesirable to have a high ratio of retired people to working people. Governments know this, the question is whether they try to address the problem by facilitating immigration or by restricting women's reproductive rights. The left tends to go with the former. The right tends to go with the latter.

It wasn't a serious suggestion that we should cull old folks.

blackout

Violet.
AMEN!! I'm also thankful! My sister and many friends who cannot have children are able to be parents and bless the lives of their children b/c someone was selfless.

That is a haughty and ignorant backhanded slight
to all women who truly cannot handle a pregnancy and birth,
for whatever reasons.
(mental, emotional, physical or situational)

pwfaith

That is a haughty and ignorant backhanded slight
to all women who truly cannot handle a pregnancy and birth,
for whatever reasons.
(mental, emotional, physical or situational)

You can read it however you want, but I do believe it takes a truly selfless person to give their child up for adoption and allow someone else to raise their child.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You can read it however you want, but I do believe it takes a truly selfless person to give their child up for adoption and allow someone else to raise their child.

Unless someone was too selfish to raise their own kid. I guess it depends on the person and the situation. Regardless, rhetoric either way doesn't really add anything useful to the discussion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I provided that justification.

You're welcome.
I don't think you did.

You talked about how if enough people agreed with me, we might be able to get the law changed; I was addressing the question of whether such a change would be a good idea.