• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should George W. Bush be Prosecuted?

Elessar

Taylor wasn't prosecuted for being an "illegitimately elected president". He was prosecuted in the United States for conspiring to commit acts of torture, which is a breach of the War Crimes Act of 1996.

Besides, your argument is extremely weak considering Bush wasn't elected at all, but appointed by the Supreme Court in the middle of a contentious recount.

Regardless, a large number of Americans supported him. I will grant you, yes, he should not have been President. But he was legally reelected, and, without question, at least 45% of Americans supported him, both times - perhaps more. Charles Taylor, Sr., was an illegitimate leader, a warlord, blackmailer, who forced himself into the presidency against the true wishes of the Liberian people, and Charles Taylor, Jr., took part in the unconscionable actions of his administration. Taylor, Jr., being an American citizen, violated the War Crimes Act, and can thus be charged. Had he, however, been acting as part of a legitimate government, he would not have been prosecuted. His actions would be no less criminal, but he wouldn't have been prosecuted for them.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There's precedent to be considered. If you don't want a future resurgence of Neocon imperialism, prosecute.

Alceste

Vagabond
Regardless, a large number of Americans supported him. I will grant you, yes, he should not have been President. But he was legally reelected, and, without question, at least 45% of Americans supported him, both times - perhaps more. Charles Taylor, Sr., was an illegitimate leader, a warlord, blackmailer, who forced himself into the presidency against the true wishes of the Liberian people, and Charles Taylor, Jr., took part in the unconscionable actions of his administration. Taylor, Jr., being an American citizen, violated the War Crimes Act, and can thus be charged. Had he, however, been acting as part of a legitimate government, he would not have been prosecuted. His actions would be no less criminal, but he wouldn't have been prosecuted for them.

How do you figure that? Goring and Hess were part of a legitimate government and they were prosecuted. Sentenced to death, in fact. I don't know where you get the idea that elected leaders are not subject to the rule of law (although after 8 years of Bush I can see how it might seem a little confusing.)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Go ahead, do what you like. It will not bite you in the butt later. :no:

I thought you were the sort who valued responsibility and accountability, or does law and justice mean nothing anymore? So we should instead allow our leaders to act with impunity in total disregard of ethics and legality? All that matters is that they wear a flag and/or cross lapel pin, am I right?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I thought you were the sort who valued responsibility and accountability, or does law and justice mean nothing anymore? So we should instead allow our leaders to act with impunity in total disregard of ethics and legality? All that matters is that they wear a flag and/or cross lapel pin, am I right?

Pretty Much. I see Obama is wearing one again. Did his feelings change or did he do what he had to do against his principles to get his job?

We let tax dodgers join the president's cabinet. If you or I did this, we would be in prison. If you are for blind justice, this is an all or nothing proposition here.

Each side believes they are above the law. Pot, meet Kettle.

Elessar

How do you figure that? Goring and Hess were part of a legitimate government and they were prosecuted. Sentenced to death, in fact. I don't know where you get the idea that elected leaders are not subject to the rule of law (although after 8 years of Bush I can see how it might seem a little confusing.)

Goring and Hess were part of a legitimate government of a conquered nation, and were tried by the conquerors.

kai

ragamuffin
Taylor wasn't prosecuted for being an "illegitimately elected president". He was prosecuted in the United States for conspiring to commit acts of torture, which is a breach of the War Crimes Act of 1996.

Besides, your argument is extremely weak considering Bush wasn't elected at all, but appointed by the Supreme Court in the middle of a contentious recount.

are you seriously comparing this guy to Bush somehow. From your link i can see that he was accused of actual torture.

From 1999 to 2002, Taylor committed torture and allowed others to commit torture, prosecutors said.
Taylor and his associated burned victims with molten plastic, lighted cigarettes, candle wax and an iron. Some were severely beaten with firearms, cut and stabbed and shocked with an electric device, prosecutors said in an indictment that superseded the initial indictment from 2006.
In the initial indictment, Taylor was charged with one count of torture, one count of conspiracy to torture and one count of using a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.
The superseding September 2007 indictment -- which incorporated the initial charges -- included five counts of torture, one count of conspiracy to torture, one count of using a firearm during the commission of a violent crime and one count of conspiracy to use a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.
Son of ex-Liberian leader sentenced to 97 years in prison - CNN.com

and Goring and Hess oh come on.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There's precedent to be considered. If you don't want a future resurgence of Neocon imperialism, prosecute.

Excellent point. Especially since many of the people who would be prosecuted here are people who should have been prosecuted years before for the Iran-Contra scandal, but were allowed to escape justice then -- only to come back as worse offenders years later.

Alceste

Vagabond
are you seriously comparing this guy to Bush somehow. From your link i can see that he was accused of actual torture.

From 1999 to 2002, Taylor committed torture and allowed others to commit torture, prosecutors said.
Taylor and his associated burned victims with molten plastic, lighted cigarettes, candle wax and an iron. Some were severely beaten with firearms, cut and stabbed and shocked with an electric device, prosecutors said in an indictment that superseded the initial indictment from 2006.
In the initial indictment, Taylor was charged with one count of torture, one count of conspiracy to torture and one count of using a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.
The superseding September 2007 indictment -- which incorporated the initial charges -- included five counts of torture, one count of conspiracy to torture, one count of using a firearm during the commission of a violent crime and one count of conspiracy to use a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.
Son of ex-Liberian leader sentenced to 97 years in prison - CNN.com

and Goring and Hess oh come on.

Taylor was indicted for torture AND conspiracy to commit torture. These are two different crimes. Besides, I only brought him up to counter the point that members of governments aren't prosecuted for torture in the US. Goring and Hess I brought up to counter the point that members of elected governments aren't prosecuted for war crimes.

What is your reason for believing American government officials - as opposed to foreign officials - should not be subject to the rule of law when it comes to torture?

Benjamin_D

Zionist
He should be prosecuted just as much as any other president in U.S. history, which means... No. Just another president.