• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should 'freedom of speech' be a right?

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Basically- should people be able to say 'whatever' they want to say? What if saying it pushes a person over the edge? What if saying it violates private business policy?

That's the debate: Should free speech be a right?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Basically- should people be able to say 'whatever' they want to say? What if saying it pushes a person over the edge? What if saying it violates private business policy?

Hi....

What about slander?
What about incitement to commit crimes?
What about provocation to induce civil upset?
What about vocal opinion contrary to racial, gender, nationality, colour or disability discrimination?
What about Nation's security secrets?

Apart from the above....... yeah, say what you think.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Tis a right with limitations, & these are where the disagreement lies. As for business speech, employees, agents, contractors & some others may agree to limiting their own speech as a condition of employment.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Of course it should. Common sense would dictate to most people things you should not say in public. Not everyone has common sense, though. There are always limitations: Such as not screaming "fire" in a a large crowd, for example.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Free speech becomes most important when it involves openly criticizing ideas.

Paradox22

I'm only Hume ian
There are no rights without restrictions/obligations.* For example, I think we can all agree that there should be certain restrictions on speech, based on context and content. You are not free to make a bomb threat with impunity. I'm pretty comfortable with the restrictions that are in place in American law.

* Actually, there are no restrictions on our right to breath air because doing so does not infringe on anyone else's rights or well-being.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

They should be able to say whatever they want to say, but their wants don't supersede the collective wants of the group. Only if the group has respect for individual wants can freedom of speech hold.

Rights are another issue.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Hi....

What about slander?
What about incitement to commit crimes?
What about provocation to induce civil upset?
What about vocal opinion contrary to racial, gender, nationality, colour or disability discrimination?
What about Nation's security secrets?

Apart from the above....... yeah, say what you think.
Short of yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater I thing prohibitions are a rather slippery slope.

Adstar

Freedom of speech does not need to be a right when it is ones demand.

If one is determined to speak their mind and does not care what consequences come from doing so then one has true Freedom of speech. If we rely on governments and courts to grant us the freedom to speak then can we claim we have TRUE freedom of speech??? I don't think so...

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Short of yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater I thing prohibitions are a rather slippery slope.
I'm cool with that.......
But if we are free to incite crime, slander, etc etc....... completely free from any control, things might get a little nasty out there. Slippery slopes can run downhill in opposite directions.... :)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member

Okay, I believe in rationality. I believe that YES, freedom of speech should be allowed as a general concept, however, it has to be reasonable. It has to have rules. Exposing a corrupted official with solid proof for it is one good reason, in my opinion, and criticizing a country's law from an outsider is not a good reason, in my opinion.

Just my $0.2

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yes, it is a right in my country and in most Western countries. and it should be safeguarded more, especially if you are a journalist.
the freedom o speech implies the right to spread personal opinions (which are personal and do not stand for the absolute truth) and to spread true information, like facts and events. As long as the right of privacy is respected.

so...it would be illegal to spread false information, especially if it deals with other people's private life.

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
actually, a government should never keep secrets. If it does, it betrays the people that it governs. A government must do any thing above-board

You're a kind person welling to share secrets without any problem. Others crave harming the government and the people and are willing to use those secrets to spread terror and chaos for their own goals.

I guess :)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
no where is freedom of speech absolute.
as it can contravene laws and rights every bit as important.
We can of course say any thing we want. However we may be called out for breaking other laws or contravening other peoples rights.

HonestJoe

actually, a government should never keep secrets. If it does, it betrays the people that it governs. A government must do any thing above-board
"Our main forces will advance North towards the enemies capital but our special forces will be covertly parachuted in first to catch them entirely unawares"

"The President's plane will be flying from Washington to New York at 08:00. There is a technical issue with the anti-missile defences but we're sure that'll be fine."

"Police are have evidence suggesting John Smith is guilty of the murder and will be raiding his home at 2am on Thursday morning to arrest him."

"And finally, this week's nuclear launch codes are 46 27 16 3 and the bonus code is 12. Good luck everyone."

Sorry. Sarcasm is an affliction.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think free speech, though mostly free, does need limitations and is celebrated to excess in America. Obviously the whole "shouting fire in a crowded theater" and making bomb threats is generally understood as an acceptable limitation, but is the legal ability to be a Nazi and fill the air with hate speech really something to brag about? Are the rights of WBC to protest at funerals really worth protecting, or should we protect those who have no rights to be free from such filth? I am all for opposition, opposing viewpoints, and people being able to say they don't agree, but is it really necessary to allow racist groups to annoy every sane person with the constant stupid and hate that comes from their mouths?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
A challenge! I accept it.....
Your country's law against women driving cars sux!
(Can they drive tractors?)
Now, you should criticize our law against feeding the homeless (in some locales).

:screamcat:

Unbelievable... you proved me wrong in a single post :p

You hit the spot :)

Okay, my turn. Hmm... your country's law against feeding the homeless sux big time. The homeless are still people. They have feelings, they get hungry, they cry and smile like anyone else... and feeding other people is something personal no one should get a hold of. This is AWFUL AND INHUMANE :rage:

How's that :grinning:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

I respect your opinion, but some facts, if known by the masses, would or could lead to mass panics, for example. Are you suggesting that we should have published all our forthcoming battle plans in our newspapers during the great wars? :D

But I expect that you did agree with the rest of my list? Even on RF we are moderated in the way that we can write to other members. Here is a perfect example of free writing being tempered by various reasonable rules. (Here's me sucking up to the mods!!!! :D )