• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should convicted felons be allowed to vote?

shema

I believe that convicted felons should be allowed to vote because they payed their debt to society and are still citizens. If you are going to take away their right then don't let them into the military or don't take out any taxes, or social security.

What do you all think?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
standing_alone said:
In general, I think ex-felons should be allowed to vote.
I second that. They cannot hurt anyone by voting and they are still citizens of the US.....

Smoke

Done here.
At the very least, they should be allowed to vote once they've served their sentence. In Canada, they can vote while they're still in prison.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
shema said:
I believe that convicted felons should be allowed to vote because they payed their debt to society and are still citizens. If you are going to take away their right then don't let them into the military or don't take out any taxes, or social security.

What do you all think?

i agree.

all citizens give to the state and take from the state - the state can't pick and choose what they take and what they give.

Faint

Zephyr said:
I don't see any harm if they've served their sentence...
What about if they're currently serving their sentence?

Seems to me that when you screw up in our society, your freedom is rightfully taken away, along with your voting privileges. Why do we need felons to vote? They're essentially failed citizens. After they've served their sentence, sure...but while they're still being punished? Too bad for them. Why don't we force them into hard labor make them actually do some good for the country...maybe earn their way BACK to citizenship if they care so much about politics.

Look, if they didn't respect our laws in the first place, why should they be able to influence them? I really don't want a felon's opinion to be a deciding factor on new propositions or who runs this country anyway. However-- it might be interesting to see which politicians are being supported heavily from the criminal element, and consider voting accordingly.

Hmmm...IF they could vote, and if I was an unscrupulous politician...I would certainly campaign heavily in the prison circuit. Maybe make a bunch of bogus promises like "Elect me and all prisoners will be let out of jail!" They've got nothing better to do in jail, they're mostly unintelligent, and of course they want out...so poll attendance would likely be in the 99 percentile. Landslide victory. I could become a president of the felons, by the felons, and for the felons.

Zephyr

Moved on
Faint said:
What about if they're currently serving their sentence?
Then no voting for them. They are in prison for a reason. They aren't much a part of society.

Seems to me that when you screw up in our society, your freedom is rightfully taken away, along with your voting privileges. Why do we need felons to vote? They're essentially failed citizens. After they've served their sentence, sure...but while they're still being punished? Too bad for them. Why don't we force them into hard labor make them actually do some good for the country...maybe earn their way BACK to citizenship if they care so much about politics.
Marry me?

Look, if they didn't respect our laws in the first place, why should they be able to influence them? I really don't want a felon's opinion to be a deciding factor on new propositions or who runs this country anyway. However-- it might be interesting to see which politicians are being supported heavily from the criminal element, and consider voting accordingly.

Hmmm...IF they could vote, and if I was an unscrupulous politician...I would certainly campaign heavily in the prison circuit. Maybe make a bunch of bogus promises like "Elect me and all prisoners will be let out of jail!" They've got nothing better to do in jail, they're mostly unintelligent, and of course they want out...so poll attendance would likely be in the 99 percentile. Landslide victory. I could become a president of the felons, by the felons, and for the felons.

If someone is in jail, they shouldn't vote. Once they've served their punishment however, I'm cool with them voting.

shema

October 18, 2003

Behind the Campaign to Give Felons the Right to Vote

Most Americans recognize that one of the punishments for committing felonies, as opposed to misdemeanors, is the permanent loss of a number of rights. Included in these are the right to possess firearms and the right to vote.
But there is more to this story than one might think...
For a while now there has been a campaign[talkleft.com] to restore one of these rights: the right to vote. The reason: felons are a natural Democrat constituency. The reason for restoring only that one right: those behind the movement are not true civil rights advocates, who would also restore second amendment rights, but rather those seeking to increase votes for the left.
A study at the non leftist Institute for Policy Research found that if Felons had the right to vote, Democrats would have controlled the Senate continuously since 1986 and Al Gore would have won the Presidency in 2000.
Naturally, there is also a Politically Correct reason for this. It seems that minorities are "disproportionately" represented among felons. Thus this campaign pretends to be ending racial discrimination. The fact that some minorities in fact commit felonies at a dramatically higher rate than other groups of the population is of no consequence to these pinheads. Hey, if there's a racial disparity, it must be "the system's" fault, right?

Posted by John Moore at October 18, 2003 01:41 PM

When I read this My heart went out to all of the people who were wrongfully imprisoned or rightfully learned by their mistakes.

kai

ragamuffin
shema said:

What do you all think?
i didnt know they couldnt vote i know they dont vote in prison in the uk but after release you just vote as per normal

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
yet another fine example of how advanced america is!jeez and i thought guns were the only stupid thing they allow over there, silly me!

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Democrats voters are criminals?
I'd say,'Who'da thunk it?', but I imagine I could find some posts in old threads here that show someone thunk it.:p

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
darkpenguin said:
yet another fine example of how advanced america is!jeez and i thought guns were the only stupid thing they allow over there, silly me!
Is there a point you're making that actually relates to the topic, Mr Pen-gu-in?:sarcastic

Yerda

Veteran Member
darkpenguin said:
Listen m'lad, you can criticise others for their shortcomings when you come to school with capital letters!! :p