• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Christians support progressive tax systems?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Imho, Jesus was not interested in what sort of tax it is, just render unto the government what is required by the way of tax, Christians should devote themselves to God above all.
I believe the lower tax doesn't change the tithe since that is based on gross income. Higher taxes can give the government more money for charity but is it really the business of government to do charity?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I believe the lower tax doesn't change the tithe since that is based on gross income. Higher taxes can give the government more money for charity but is it really the business of government to do charity?
Render unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar's and to God what is God's means just that, it is perfectly ok for one to have an opinion on or preference for, a particular tax, and how it is spent, but that has naught to do with one's religious practice. In a democracy, we wear two hats, one for God and the other for when we are dealing with our government obligations.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Should Christians support progressive tax systems?

I was reading this passage for context;

'Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. 16 They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. “Teacher,” they said, “we know that you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17 Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay the imperial tax[a] to Caesar or not?”

18 But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19 Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, 20 and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”

21 “Caesar’s,” they replied.

Then he said to them, “So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”'

So it would seem clear enough to me that Jesus supported paying taxes, what is not so clear is if he supported progressive taxation.

Your thoughts?
Clearly this tale of Jesus has him NOT condemn taxes. In Judea, the taxes were income taxes (whereas in Rome, it was property that was taxed."

It is my understanding that a "progressive" income tax means that those of means pay a higher percentage than those who are poor. Since the wealthy receive much greater benefits from the government, it seems only fair to me that they should pay a higher rate. And since it is more just, I would assume that Christians would back it. I'm fairly sure that almost all the representatives that voted in the US income tax were Christians.

IndigoChild5559

Isn't the Israelite society that God is said to have set up supposed to be ideal? If so, then yes it is the business of government to assist the poor, the sick, the old, the orphan. Tzedakah (which is really better translated as social justice than charity) was NOT a voluntary thing. It was a mandatory tax, and there other laws providing for the poor as well.

Did you know that in ancient Israel, if you were hungry, you could go into any field, orchard, or vineyard and eat till you were satisfied and it was not considered stealing? There was no problem with hunger. I wish that our society would be as righteous.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I believe the lower tax doesn't change the tithe since that is based on gross income.

If someone takes Jesus's advice seriously and survives off of donated food and only owns the clothes on his back, a pair of sandals and a begging bowl, wouldn't the amount he's tithing just be whatever he gets in his begging bowl minus whatever he spends on food?

Higher taxes can give the government more money for charity but is it really the business of government to do charity?

Yes.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
If someone takes Jesus's advice seriously and survives off of donated food and only owns the clothes on his back, a pair of sandals and a begging bowl, wouldn't the amount he's tithing just be whatever he gets in his begging bowl minus whatever he spends on food?
...and wine! But then he didn't need to buy it, get him some water and 'Bob's your uncle'!

vulcanlogician

Your thoughts?

The Book of James 5:1-6 seems to suggest that a progressive taxation system would be more just than a flat tax or regressive system.

PS:

BTW, the way the American taxation system is regressive. Not on paper. On paper, it's SUPER progressive. But after loopholes, it totally works out to be a regressive taxation system.

True, people on the very bottom rungs never pay any taxes. But neither do those on the very top rungs. I think the American situation is neither progressive, regressive, or flat. It squeezes the middle. And it squeezes it hard!

IndigoChild5559

God made us free and intends us to remain free. So any system of man that makes men less than free is an affront to both man and God. I can't think of a reason a Christian with a choice would support such a system.
God also designed a government (if you believe the Bible) and outlined its responsibilities to the poor, to implementing justice, and to defending the people.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
God also designed a government (if you believe the Bible) and outlined its responsibilities to the poor, to implementing justice, and to defending the people.
Right, but no one is compelled to be a part of that kingdom. And no one in his kingdom is poor. I'll support that government gladly.

Man doesn't get it right by even a long shot. Man's governments force people to give, but the poor just keep increasing in number. Why on earth would a Christian with choice support that? Seems that a good Christian would champion God's government consistently. I know I do.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
God made us free and intends us to remain free. So any system of man that makes men less than free is an affront to both man and God. I can't think of a reason a Christian with a choice would support such a system.

Romans 13:1-7:

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment,[a] and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 2 So the person who resists such authority[B ] resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment 3 (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation 4 because it is God’s servant for your well-being. But be afraid if you do wrong because government[c] does not bear the sword for nothing. It is God’s servant to administer punishment on the person who does wrong. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities[d] but also because of your conscience.[e] 6 For this reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities[f] are God’s servants devoted to governing.[g] 7 Pay everyone what is owed: taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.

And apart from this, there's language throughout the New Testament about Christians being "slaves to the Lord" or "bondservants in Christ," etc.

Your position doesn't seem very Christian, as far as I can tell.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Romans 13:1-7:

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment,[a] and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 2 So the person who resists such authority[B ] resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment 3 (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation 4 because it is God’s servant for your well-being. But be afraid if you do wrong because government[c] does not bear the sword for nothing. It is God’s servant to administer punishment on the person who does wrong. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities[d] but also because of your conscience.[e] 6 For this reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities[f] are God’s servants devoted to governing.[g] 7 Pay everyone what is owed: taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.

And apart from this, there's language throughout the New Testament about Christians being "slaves to the Lord" or "bondservants in Christ," etc.

Your position doesn't seem very Christian, as far as I can tell.
My position doesn't have to seem very Christian to others in order for me to stand firmly on it. If folks want to worship a Christian god who enslaves, they are free to do so. That doesn't mean I don't know different. :)