• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Christianity Be Easy?

connermt

How many times do I have to tell you that I don't believe in a literal hell? And I don't see God or the idea of God the same way you do.

I can't keep track of what everyone on here believes - gesh! I mean, there's so many different christians believing in so many different things but claiming to believe in the same god.
Maybe we should create a spreadsheet for easy reference....?
No matter if you believe in hell or not, you still can't legitimately compare an all knowing all powerful being with flawed human parents.

connermt

People will always see things through their own eyes.

This idea however that the bible is somehow gods authoritative word
causes people to hear god sayin' all KINDS of (authoritative) things.

Even entirely conflicting things.
Hundreds of them.
Even thousands.

As an authoritative god book, it's a mess.

What about if it's just a teaching book, or something other than an authoritative god book?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I can't keep track of what everyone on here believes - gesh! I mean, there's so many different christians believing in so many different things but claiming to believe in the same god.
No matter if you believe in hell or not, you still can't legitimately compare an all knowing all powerful being with flawed human parents.

That's right - an all powerful Being is smarter, wiser, more informed than flawed human parents.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
That's an important concept, but I'd replace the word FALSE with ANY. It's the receptiveness of the individual more than the idea being presented it seems to me.

I think it's both. James 3:1 & 1 Timothy 4:16 put the responsibility on both. As humans, we are vulnerable to simple, concrete, and emotional concepts, but also pastors many times invite people to decide to be christians based on an emotional sermon and little to no scriptural study.

I once saw on TV, this one lady's testimony that she had opened up the Bible for the first time ever (good thing to do). A few moments into her reading, she turned on the tv and was instructed by a televangelist to accept Jesus as her personal savior, which she did. If this lady had just only kept reading the Bible, she would never have found evidence for "accepting Jesus as personal savior" based on her reading alone.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I went a little mental on you, sorry, with the hell bit- I feel as though I've told you over and over again but it was probably just once.

But honestly, I don't want to change my faith, and I don't think other theists want to change theirs, either (I can't speak for them)- you seem to think that if you tell me and the others enough that we'll say "Connmert was right, I better stop my faith immediately". That is how you come across- whether you mean to or not). I find it a bit amusing, though, rather than irritating. You have said it isn't personal at all, and I should believe you- but you just come across as being personal to some of us. ;) And remember, it may seem flawed to you, but we who follow it don't find it flawed- and if there is something flawed- we blame human error and not God- or else we wouldn't believe it, either.

connermt

And remember, it may seem flawed to you, but we who follow it don't find it flawed- and if there is something flawed- we blame human error and not God- or else we wouldn't believe it, either.

I know
That's a problem IMO.
People want to see/believe what they want, no matter what else points to something differently.
But that's just MO

blackout

Violet.
Who's to say what it should or shouldn't be.

Christianity is a countless number of things
to just as many people (complete with even more 'should be's').

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I know
That's a problem IMO.
People want to see/believe what they want, no matter what else points to something differently.
But that's just MO

Of course, it's a problem for you. That is why you don't follow the religion. God is perfect, but no one said religion was perfect.

connermt

Of course, it's a problem for you. That is why you don't follow the religion. God is perfect, but no one said religion was perfect.

I don't follow the religion so it's not a problem for me at all. It's a problem for those who are blinded by the empty promise it offers. But the blind don't see problems they don't want to see
And it depends on what you consider perfect.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't follow the religion so it's not a problem for me at all. It's a problem for those who are blinded by the empty promise it offers. But the blind don't see problems they don't want to see

One last point: Just because you see it as "empty promise, and that people are blinded by that doesn't mean that we see it as being blinded by empty promise.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Can I ask you a question, Connermt It is a legitimate question and not meant to be sarcastic. Are you trying to help theists see the "error of their ways" when it comes to them believing in God or are you just explaining why you don't believe in God? I'd really would like to know.

Last edited:

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
*Nods*

If you ARE attempting to convince others of the validity of your arguments in order to influence their position then you really should consider explaining your arguments more fully and examining counter arguments with an objective, non-judgemental approach - otherwise your attempts are likely to be ineffective.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
And what, exactly, are these "empty promises" you cite?

connermt

One last point: Just because you see it as "empty promise, and that people are blinded by that doesn't mean that we see it as being blinded by empty promise.
Exactly the point. We see what we want to for the most part. I wanted to see christianity as wonderous/blahblahblah, but came to realize it's nothing more than a means of control veiled in an empty promise.

connermt

Can I ask you a question, Connermt It is a legitimate question and not meant to be sarcastic. Are you trying to help theists see the "error of their ways" when it comes to them believing in God or are you just explaining why you don't believe in God? I'd really would like to know.

Several reasons, but it doesn't really matter in this thread