• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shintoism: A Brief History

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
That's a really good question for me as well, not just with Pope, but everybody I talk to. Though I never thought I was doing this for people to be saved, or converted, but for them to have access to the accurate knowledge in order to make a decision either way. With me I've been wondering, is it my ego more than anything?

I can't stand it when people don't agree with me. Don't learn from me. Don't listen to me. It seems to me that they are all, in one way or another, making up weird **** that doesn't make any sense just to avoid accurate knowledge. Either for science, tradition, the Church, the Watchtower . . . I sometimes wrestle with that. I try to respect other's beliefs, but I don't, really. I respect their right to believe but hate their beliefs. To be honest.
That is very honest. I have gone through that also. Was good being on RF for me. Seeing witches, pagans, what not. So much judgmental thoughts came up. But I always remember "All are children of God", so should I judge God's creation? BUT of course we can judge harmful actions done by others. Although when really believing God is in control of all, sometimes I think "even this maybe I should not judge"

But for me the same. Not judging is the most difficult. Jesus didn't give the easiest job to us. I know I still have anger and hate in me. Probably that is the cause that I judge. And also knowledge and understanding. I met a yelling angry man. After hearing his mother dumped him age 1 month on the street, being taken by a man, who abused him his whole life. I stopped judging his bad mood and yelling and shouting.

If we just knew everything, the whole picture, we would judge much less is my experience in a few cases. But for me also 24/7 job to control this.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Good thread in many ways. Better than I expected. Was expecting something hostile.

I am Shinto and Christian.

I keep the Japanese flag and pictures of Japanese Emperors on my wall, as veneration of the "Imperial Spirits" (Kami), and pray for the "land of the Kami".

I also keep a picture of Yasukuni shrine on my wall and pray to the enshrined war dead.

Im very fond of the Prime minister "Shinzo Abe", who is a very devoted Shinto practicioner, who is seeking to bring back Shinto fervor and patriotism in Japan.

I'm one of the rare non-Japanese Shinto adherents, and have only seen one other poster here who appears to embrace Shintoism.

Yes, when state-Shinto got control of Japan, it lead to many atrocities and aggression on other nations.

But it isn't much different than Christians building Empires and colonizing other territories.

When Christianity (Protestant or Catholic) became the state Religion of a King or Queen (or Emperor) we see similar atrocities.

The vast majority of Shinto practicioners don't harm people for any religious reasons.

@[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000]PopeADope[/COLOR][/FONT], I agree with you. This thread was very informative. Oh yeah, as for the identity of that other poster who seems to embrace Shinto (or rather, the shinbutsu-shugo that's characteristic of Japan), that would be me. Truthfully though I don't necessarily affiliate with any particular religion.

Last edited: