• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shinto and Me Part 2

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Yes, though I have gone toward different religions I feel that the one that seems the closest. When I first was looking for something that made sense to me after my father passed, I came across Shinto, there was a lot aboit that I all ready believe deep inside. Though I never really told anyone about it, a first it felt right, but also I little weird. Shinto is so rooted in the tradition and culture of Japan, how does one that as never even been to Japan let alone as no Japanese ancestry take part in such a religion. Talking to some Japanese friend of mine, plus one friend that is half Japanese and another that is a 1/4 that both grow up with Shinto talk to me and explained that though one is not Japanese one can still be Shinto. One does not need to have ancestors in Japan for it, the ancestor worship is not all was needed. It's more culturelly then religious(like in Mexico were they still have the Day of the Dead even though there know Catholic down there one friend explained it like). There a lot more to it, and if the Kami make themselves know to you and you feel it right to walk this path, then go with respect, honor, and love friend....:thud:(longest post in a while).

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Azakel,
Thank you for enlightening us on what is called SHINTO in Japan.

Personally do not follow any one established WAY or Religion.
Have great regards for all such persons who have found a definite PATH [religion] which others
could follow. By following the methods of Gautama Buddha or Jesus Christ, neither call myself a buddhist or a christian besides born in a family rooted in the Sanatana Dharma [hinduism].
Personally am just a BEING who is human and having come from the same source as all of existence the ultimate objective of this PLAY is to merge with the surce for which any PATH / WAY / RELIGION will do depending on one's comfort level.
Love & rgds

Ukonkivi

Part of ancestor worship can be respect for ancient spirits in general, not just your own or Japanese ones.

Very controversially, a Taiwanese politician once visited a Yasukuni shrine, and paid respects to Japan's fallen in World War II. It's not a shrine to honor one's own dead relatives who dies in World War II, though that is certainly encouraged, it is a place for ANYONE who wants to pay their respects to Japan's WWII dead.

It is however, hated by many neighboring Asian countries and many zainichi Koreans and Chinese living in Japan. I think Japanese people would be very flattered to see any foreigner visiting and respecting a Yasukuni shrine.

I don't believe in or excuse what Japan did during world war II nor what Nazi Germany did. But I would honor the dead soldiers of either country. I listen to lots of music related to Germany and the Nazis for World War two, such a Neofolk and German EBM artists, but it's not because I hold neo-nazi beliefs, it's a degree of respect for the sadness of war and those who die. The spirits of the dead deserve to be honored, including those of soldiers. They have seen a greater suffering that I could even imagine. Dunkelwerk doesn't sing about praising the Nazis of world war two in it's works, but singing the sorrow of it's futility and horrors.

I do not know where my ancient ancestors of all of Europe came from. But I respect all the ancestors of Europe in general, and seek feeling from my ancient ancestors. And pay respective feelings and prayers to them. And I as well respect the spirits of ancient Japan.

I may not be related to them, but they are still kami. Just as my ancestors are kami.