• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Share quotes...

Maija

Which quotes most move you??

"True worship of God is rendering help to those who are suffering." Amma

Which intrigue you?

“If I were asked to define the Hindu creed, I should simply say: Search after truth through non-violent means. A man may not believe in God and still call himself a Hindu. Hinduism is a relentless pursuit after truth... Hinduism is the religion of truth. Truth is God. Denial of God we have known. Denial of truth we have not known.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Which challenge you?

“Should even one's enemy arrive at the doorstep, he should be attended upon with respect. A tree does not withdraw its cooling shade even from the one who has come to cut it.”
― Mahabharata 12.146.5

“Feel nothing, know nothing, do nothing, have nothing, give up all to God, and say utterly, 'Thy will be done.' We only dream this bondage. Wake up and let it go.”
― Swami Vivekananda

“A spirtually illumined soul lives in the world, yet is never contaminated by it.”
― Swami Bhaskarananda

Please do share!

Satyamavejayanti

We have to make people soft who are hard , to attract those who are far, if they do bad for us then even considering our aim we should always love them.

Those who help others they are helped by the god.

They are real true persons who in this body with both happiness and sorrow never leaves the true path of Dharma.

We should never say lie, never leave the path of dharma due to fear of critics or due to any greed.

Making enemy on name of religion is always bad

As the god has given sun,water,earth,fire,air,moon to all,In the same way he had given true knowledge of Vedas for all mankind.

Even if people burn my fingers by burning them as candle sticks then even I will never deviate from path of saying truth.

Knowledge, truth speaking and practice of yoga are the real ways to moksha (salvation).

Swami Dayananda Saraswati

Seek Govinda(god)! Seek Govinda! Seek Govinda! Oh ignoramus, at the time of death the rules of grammer, which you are trying to cram and master, will not be able to rescue you at all.

The world which is full of attachments, aversions, etc., is like a dream. It appears to be real, as long as it continues but appears to be unreal when one is awake (i.e., when true wisdom dawns).

Day and night, dawn and dusk, winter and spring, all these are flitting across the stage of the world. While time thus is frolicking and befooling us, our life span is also running out; yet we do not , even a little, give up the clinging to our desires, nor do we let the desires loosen their grip on us.

Among the contributory factors of liberation, devotion stands supreme, and it is the search for one's own true nature that is meant by devotion.

Reality can be experienced only with the eye of understanding, not just by a scholar. What the moon is like must be seen with one's own eyes. How can others do it for you?

Adi Shankaracharya

“Truth can not be suppressed and always is the ultimate victor."
-the Yajur Veda

"Do not be led by others,
awaken your own mind,
amass your own experience,
and decide for yourself your own path."
-The Atharva Veda

One should, perform karma with nonchalance
without expecting the benefits because
sooner of later one shall definitely gets the fruits. ”
-The Rig Veda

And my fav,

“ Ego is the biggest enemy of humans. ”- Rig Veda

Maya3

That which makes the eye see but cannot be seen by the eye, that is the Self indeed.
This Self is not someone other than you.

That which makes the ear hear but cannot be Heard by the ear, that is the Self indeed.
This Self is not someone other than you.

Kena Upanishad 7 and 8

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
"One of life's greatest follies is to think that the temporal is permanent" - Tiruvalluvar

Surya Deva

Mahavakyas:

"I am the Absolute"
"The absolute is consciousnesses"
"My Self is the Absolute"

Yogasutras

"Yoga is the cessation of the modifications of the mind-field, then the essential witnessing consciousness is revealed, at other time it remains identified with the modifications"
"The observer is nothing but the power of consciousness"
"The observed exists for the sake of the observer"

Rig Veda

"Know the string within the string"
"Sharpen thy intellect"

Upanishads

"Not for the sake of the son is the son beloved to the mother, but the son is beloved for the sake of the Self"
"That is whole, this whole, from wholeness comes wholeness, if wholeness is taken away from wholeness, wholeness alone remains"

Swami Vivekananda

"Even if the Supreme Brahma were to tell you something which did not accord with your own perception and reasoning, then reject it"

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
being freed from attatchment fear and anger , being fully absorbed in me , and taking refuge in me , many in the past have become pureified by knowledge of me and thus they have atained tranendental love for me , ... sri krsna bhagavad gita....ch 4 , ..v 10

ratikala

Istha gosthi
When in despair, I remember that throughout history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it. Always. .....Mahatma Gandhi

Maya3

[quote[“Should even one's enemy arrive at the doorstep, he should be attended upon with respect. A tree does not withdraw its cooling shade even from the one who has come to cut it.”
― Mahabharata 12.146.5[/quote]

This reminds me of the book: "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein.
Have you read this book?

Maya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
"Pay it forward." - An old concept from various sources

"Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." - The Buddha

"Fall down seven times, get up eight." - Japanese proverb

"I tan i epi tas" Ancient Spartan saying, lit. "either this or on this" referring to a warrior's shield, meaning come back carrying your shield or carried (dead) on it. Giving up is not an option.

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. - Matthew 7:1-2

Maija

We'll grow kindness in our hearts
For all the strangers among us
Until there are no strangers anymore

Above those who don't know, there are those who know

Above those who know, there are those who retain

Above those who retain, there are those who understand

Above those who understand, there are those who apply

Above those who apply, there are those who get results

Above those who get results, are those who reach succes

Above those who reach success, are those who get the powers

Above those who get the powers, there are those using them to reach the Absolute - by what everything becomes possible

You are spiritual beings here for a human experience.
"In one word, the ideal of Vedanta is to know man as he really is and this is its message, that if you cannot worship your brother
man, the manifested God, how can you worship a God who is unmanifested?"
... not sure of that one "worship" in this sense throws me off...I am intrigued tho

Only when goodness awakens within, will one's personality and actions gain beauty and strength.
- Amma

The first step in spiritual life is to have compassion. A person who is kind and loving never needs to go searching for God. God rushes toward any heart that beats with compassion-it is God's favorite place.
- Amma

Prayer must emanate from the heart, where God resides, and not from the head where doctrines and doubts clash.
Sathya Sai Baba

If you strive to find your Self by using your mind, you will strive and strive in vain, because the mind cannot give you the Truth. You are that Self. All else is illusion of the mind's creation.
Sathya Sai Baba

There is only one religion, the religion of Love;
There is only one language, the language of the Heart;
There is only one caste, the caste of Humanity;
There is only one law, the law of Karma;
There is only one God, He is Omnipresent.
Sathya Sai Baba

Love as Thought is Truth.
Love as Action is Right Conduct.
Love as Understanding is Peace.
Love as Feeling is Non-violence.
Sathya Sai Baba

Maija

“The minimum qualifications for Grace are surrender of ego.”

“Before you speak, think -Is it necessary? Is it true? Is it kind? Will it hurt anyone? Will it improve on the silence?”

“I - Want – Peace, I is ego, Want is desire; Remove ego and desire and you have peace.”
"Love God more than meditation, Do not mistake the technique for the Goal."

The last one is from Autobiography of a Yogi, Paramahansa Yogananda, I'm still studying this one. But, it's been on my mind.

Happy weekend, friends!

Pleroma

philalethist
Gospel of Thomas, "The kingdom of heaven is spread out upon the earth, but men don't see it."

"Christ has each within him, whether human being or angel or mystery" (Gospel of Philip 56:14-15).

"Those who say they will die first and then rise are in error. If they do not first receive the resurrection while they live, when they die they will receive nothing."
(Gospel of Philip)

"People cannot see anything in the real realm unless they become it...if you have seen the spirit, you have become the spirit; if you have seen Christ, you have become Christ; if you have seen the Father, you will become the Father" (Gospel of Philip 61:20-32 cf. 67:26-27)

Swami Muktananda, another contemporary sage, said:

You are the entire universe.
You are in all, and all is in you.
Sun, moon, and stars revolve within you.

And the Ashtavakra Gita, a highly venerated Indian text, states:

The Universe produced phenomenally in me, is pervaded by me…
From me the world is born, in me it exists, in me it dissolves.

"Matter is derived from mind or consciousness, and not mind or consciousness from matter"

- Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation

"This pure Mind, the source of everything,

Shines forever and on all with the brilliance of its own perfection.

But the people of the world do not awake to it,

Regarding only that which sees, hears, feels and knows as mind,

Blinded by their own sight, hearing, feeling and knowing,

of all substance."

- Zen Teachings of Huang Po

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
I believe that water is the only drink for a wise man. Henry David Thoreau

"Do not seek the answers now.
They will not be given to you.
For you could not live them.
Live the questions now.

Rilke

"The truth is one, but the wise know it by many names." Rig Veda 1.64.46

"The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind." -- Kahlil Gibran

Labour without stopping; do all the good works you can while you still have the time.

-- St John of God

Nill illigitimi carborundum

It's Latin for — Do not let the ******** get you down.

The rules of the jungle..are simple.
find soemthig to eat
pass your genes along
and above all, dont' get eaten

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.

Buddha

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
Buddha

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

I just wanted to say about the last posters: this is the directory for Sanatana Dharma (hinduism)
of course you are warmly welcome to post, but this topic is about quotes on the hindu forum, thus it's about quotes in Sanatana Dharma only.

It's disturbing to see quotes about jesus, the bible or budha, I don't think they have their place neither in this directory, neither in this tread, as they are not related at all with Sanatana Dharma and it's scriptures, teachings and gurus.

No fight or hartred intended, really, I just wanted to express my opinion

Aum Namah Shivaya

Maija

Thanks, so much for the replies -- I used

"Do not seek the answers now.
They will not be given to you.
For you could not live them.
Live the questions now."

Rilke

and

"The truth is one, but the wise know it by many names." Rig Veda 1.64.46

as my facebook status hah :)

I took no offense, those who posted from non Hindu texts.

I did not specify what types of religious quotes, :p maybe because I am inspired by anyone who has a true and heartfelt search for God by all the names we call Him.

But, I understand what you're saying it is nice to come to a forum where you know what to expect, welcome JayaBholenath !

Thanks for all the replies, whatever inspires you I'm ready to read.

:shout

Last edited:

Pleroma

philalethist
Vanakkam,

I just wanted to say about the last posters: this is the directory for Sanatana Dharma (hinduism)
of course you are warmly welcome to post, but this topic is about quotes on the hindu forum, thus it's about quotes in Sanatana Dharma only.

It's disturbing to see quotes about jesus, the bible or budha, I don't think they have their place neither in this directory, neither in this tread, as they are not related at all with Sanatana Dharma and it's scriptures, teachings and gurus.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Welcome to Hinduism Dir!! The most liberalistic Dir of all.

Nyingjé Tso

Vanakkam,

Welcome to Hinduism Dir!! The most liberalistic Dir of all.

Well, thank you for your welcome I guess ?
I don't take this "liberalistic" as a good thing in this particular case, sorry 'bout that. :shrug: I'm not going to the abrahamic or Islam directory to tell about Santana Dharma, they won't allow me since it's nothing about their religious beliefs.

Maija, I had no fight intended, I apologize if you felt like it, it wasn't my intention :) Please, do what you want, this is your tread, I was just expressig my feelings here. Please, don't hold any bad feelings about this, I'll step away now.

Aum Namah Shivaya

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
Thanks, so much for the replies -- I used

and

as my facebook status hah :)

I took no offense, those who posted from non Hindu texts.

I did not specify what types of religious quotes, :p maybe because I am inspired by anyone who has a true and heartfelt search for God by all the names we call Him.

But, I understand what you're saying it is nice to come to a forum where you know what to expect, welcome JayaBholenath !

Thanks for all the replies, whatever inspires you I'm ready to read.

:shout

The Rilke piece astounded me the first time I read it...I just stared at the page...it struck me so.

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
Vanakkam,

Aum Namah Shivaya

apologies, sister...

Nyingjé Tso

Vanakkam,

apologies, sister...

No hate or anything bad intended, really, don't feel like I am insulting you or angry at you, it's not that at all. I have no authority here, I just expressed my feelings regarding the directory this tread was in.
Thank you anyway, because your posting was still inspiring and you didn't wanted to do anything bad. There is indeed very good quotes in this topic!

Aum Namah Shivaya