• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex in novels

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Sex hasn't come up a lot in the books I read. The worst is when it comes up in sci-fi books (my genre) because they always seem to manage to make it gross in some way.

Reading about a sex scene does seem strange to me. I get bored and tend to skip over it... yup, I know what happens next, yadda yadda, now can we get back to shooting aliens?

Although, I did just read the best one I've come across yet in Eat, Pray, Love. The author dealt with it in such a real life sort of way, it was rather refreshing and didn't seem weird at all.

Wirey

Fartist
When I was a teenager, there was a western series ( I don't even remember the name) that was half shoot-em-up, and half "he tore the dress from her velvety skin". Man, billions of my kids went to a Kleenexy grave over that series. Now, i find it trite and boring.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Man, billions of my kids went to a Kleenexy grave . . .

Now see, if authors would use this kind of writing to describe sex in their stories I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Wirey

Fartist
Now see, if authors would use this kind of writing to describe sex in their stories I wouldn't have a problem with it.

What can I tell you, I've always had the touch. Or been a little touched, i forget which. Wanna go eat leprechauns?

Kerr

For me it depends on the novel if the sex is ok or not. "The girl with the dragon tatoo" had lots of sexual content. I think that the author wanted to show sexuality in its different forms. The book even contained rape scenes. But it was part of the story and was not done to present the women who was raped as a victim but as a very strong character who managed to beat a pervert by herself, without any help of a man. I didnt mind the sex in that book that much.

On the other hand, the fantasy book "Temple of the Winds" had a very explicit sex scene in it that I would have preferred not to read.

Kerr

Let me put it this way. Guy nail girl, girl does oral, guy nails girl again. I dont need to know that she "tasted her own blood" during the oral part. Thats too much information, at least for me.

Wirey

Fartist
Let me put it this way. Guy nail girl, girl does oral, guy nails girl again. I dont need to know that she "tasted her own blood" during the oral part. Thats too much information, at least for me.

Yeah, blood is out. But sex in a book is not an automatic out to me.

Kerr

Yeah, blood is out. But sex in a book is not an automatic out to me.
I didnt say sex in books is bad, I am saying that it depends on how it is done. As I mentioned before, I didnt mind the sex in "The girl with the dragon tatoo", and there was far more sex in that book. Then again, I dont remember him describing a sex scene in that much detail. Maybe I am a little prude, lol. I just dont like when it gets too detailed.

In any case, that is my subjective opinion. Its by no means an objective standard all sex in novels must live up it.