• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Setianism and the future?

Daelach

Setian
Let me first make clear that I'm not talking about specific organisations, and that my time horizon stretches far. Step back from everyday business, I'm plunging into dynamics humans usually miss because our lives are so short.

For the last 300 years, we have gotten used to PROGRESS, basically since the enlightment era which started our (i.e.: Western) period of rationalism. Other cultures had this phase, too, e.g. ancient Greece, where the character we are used to call Nietzsche embodied as Plutarch, killing Pan instead of Jesus. By embodied, I don't mean rebirth, only two persons enacting the very same principle. Read Spenglers "Decline of the West" if you want to get the point more deeply - despite the stupid and midleading title, it is worth reading, in fact one of the best books I ever have come across. Especially where it gets a strange note of mysticism. Even Nietzsche is second to Spengler. But back to the topic.

The great difference is that since then, our culture has fueled its way by using finite energy resources. From wood to coal to oil, always to something better. Peakoil is about, which doesn't mean depletion (for now), only that the fueling can't be enlarged anymore.

What we call progress isn't just a product of "science", but as well a product of ever increasing energy consumption. Now that has come to an end. The very nation that put a man on the moon doesn't even have a manned space program anymore, which is highly symbolic for our situation. Luckily enough, I don't have to explain you the importance of symbols as condensed meaning, I dare to suppose that you know how to treat symbols. So for now, we have a stagnation. Just look at what the 1970s predictions where how we'd live today and where we are in reality.

Progress has become the ersatz religion of our age, inheriting religious structures. The heroes of progress have always been triumphant, if not in their time, than later in hindsight. Nothing could stop the great god Progress. Opposing Progress meant putting oneself at the loser's end. That pseudo-religion did not even hesitate to fake history, e.g. claiming that middle age people thought earth were the middle of the universe (which simply isn't true - despite the world view not being heliocentric). In fact, it wasn't until "progress" adopted religious dramaturgy that it really took off.

Each century saw new technology, new weapons, things that would have been miracles to past generations.

Now how does this relate to Setianism? The god Progress is a secular one, and what Setianism did was turning that back into the religious sphere. That's Xeper.

Secular progress has come to an end, basically, and in fact the reverse movement is already on its way. How much do average people get for their income? A little less each year. 30 Years ago, one average (!) man could feed wife and children alone - that has gone. Few remember.

Now I'm not into wild theories. The think tanks of the US army, the Australian Army, even the German military feature ressource problems and their implications, and in fact we are witnesssing ressource wars now - their aim is to postpone the changes which are inevitable anyway, in the long run.

And for now, it is only stagnation we are facing, stagnation in energy and ressource supply. The decline end of peakoil hasn't hit yet. Since our progress was based upon this supply, decline will not only stop progress but will turn it backwards.

Oh, I know the techno babble of cool tech that will do miracles, I'm a professional myself, but without the input, no output. If we could insert $MIRACLETECH, we would have done this already. We woulnd't be waging ressource wars.

A long intro, I know, but necessary for framing my actual question.

Now, my point is, when secular progress comes to an end, and in fact decline will set in, what will be the effects on Setianism - when the secular myth of progress was what essentially gave birth to modern Setianism?

I do see an important point, namely that Setianism never claimed to lead to some world-wide paradise. It is just a personal quest. It doesn't depend on secular progress, on new technology, or on an improving world. That is the point that gives Setianism some independence from the overall progress myth. Even if things are in decline, we still can have our personal quest.

The question is just whether Setianism has enough momentum of its own to survive the breakdown of its logical parent. In a future society that will have acknowldged the death of the secular god Progress, will its child Setianism have a life? Will a spiritual way embracing personal progress have a future in a world forced to embrace overall decline?

The wind of the world is about to turn. While Setianism has sailed with the wind so far, the question is whether it can also work to windward.

Sireal

Setian
Daelach,

Some good thoughts here.

The question is just whether Setianism has enough momentum of its own to survive the breakdown of its logical parent. In a future society that will have acknowldged the death of the secular god Progress, will its child Setianism have a life? Will a spiritual way embracing personal progress have a future in a world forced to embrace overall decline?

The wind of the world is about to turn. While Setianism has sailed with the wind so far, the question is whether it can also work to windward.
I am unsure and have little experience with secularized Setianism and I certainly cannot speak for other Setians affiliated with the Temple, but I can speak for myself.

I have lived "off the grid" more or less for over 25 years, roughly half my life. I have no problem with a minimalist lifestyle, havent had a ph in 20 yrs or tv for over 30. If the world plunges itself into perpetual decline it would inconvenience me very little I think. You and I would likely not be communicating much but I think that also would not be much of an issue. Setians are by far the highest of life and we will be the Teachers of the future. Xeper is about mastering ones life in all its facets and becoming more human than human, a lot more than being a ****** darkster with a scary bookshelf. Our individual skill inventories are significant compared to most humans, we are more than survivors and friction is always good juice for our Work. We are masters of time and space and creators of exceptional environments. You are correct in saying that our focus is primarily on our own Xeper and lives but should that focus change, IME, things happen very fast around us.

My personal take on your question is that we will be fine-different but fine. What the world calls Progress seems to me doomed to its fate, it was created with failure as a foundation and it simply has run its course. Having lived on the outside of western society long enough to understand how massive lifestyle change works perhaps makes me a bit unusual but I know many Adepts just as capable, skilled and willing to engage the Unknown.I think it will be a very different life but definitely a Setian Life.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Now, my point is, when secular progress comes to an end, and in fact decline will set in, what will be the effects on Setianism - when the secular myth of progress was what essentially gave birth to modern Setianism?

I do see an important point, namely that Setianism never claimed to lead to some world-wide paradise. It is just a personal quest. It doesn't depend on secular progress, on new technology, or on an improving world. That is the point that gives Setianism some independence from the overall progress myth. Even if things are in decline, we still can have our personal quest.

This is interesting, as I think about it, I'm pretty sure I could survive and Xeper in a social decline or even total collapse. My primary concern of course we be finding food, I could grow my own garden as long as I had seed. I could hunt for food so long as I had amo, I could always learn archery and how to set traps. I could live without electricity, the internet, television, phones, microwaves. As a musician I might miss my keyboard and electric guitar and amp, but I can play and compose my music just as well on an accoustic guitar and my grand piano. You are correct Daelach, Setian philosophy does not need technology in order to Work, it requires capable, intelligent, talented, and recourseful Magicians.

Xeper and Remanifest.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Daelach

Setian
Well, of course those of us being already into Setianism as of now won't drop it. After all, it isn't about how much money we make. It isn't Laveyan Satanism (thank you, M. Aquino).

My question wasn't for us, or whether we will survive (in the long run, none of us will, to state the obvious).

I am thinking of generations to come.

Generations that will not have grown up with the sense of progress, with each decade bringing something new - rather taking something old without replacing it by something better. Consider that there is a reason why the lineage back to ancient Egypt isn't continuous, that Set had long been forgotten. The question isn't whether we will continue our way, but whether future generations will be attracted to walk it.

Plus that history has a lesson for us here. Xtianity propered during all the centuries of what we now call the dark ages. It fared quite well with stagnation and only lost grip when things came into movement and progress kicked in. Their god didn't save people from the pest, our antibiotica could have done it. At least, before wearing out (which is about to happen). The cycle of cultures Spengler describes would suggest that we are before the "second religiosity" which will draw upon the first one, that's Xtianity in our civilisation's case, and an Xtian environment isn't really beneficial to Setianism.

Sireal, you mentioned that Setians were the highest of life - I wouldn't go that far since though I think I'm OK, but highest form of life.. when I look into a mirror.. no, not really, but I don't have to be. I know some Setians feel as Set's elects, as per the BOCFBN, but I don't share this thought. For me, it isn't being elected, it's just familiar resemblance on an immaterial level.

Even if Setians can teach one thing or another, my experience is people usually don't listen and don't care. That's a reason why Setianism hasn't (and will not) become mainstream.

So even now when we still have progress as a major cultural factor in motion, Setianism is an exeption for the few. How few will there be in a future to come without the tailwind of being used to the progress myth that makes Xeper a somewhat natural concept for them? Again, it's not like we would drop it, but even if we stay as Setian as Set himself thoughout our lives, eventually we will die.

Of course, I know that there isn't really an answer since only the future will tell. Nevertheless, it just makes me think.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
So long as there is at least one of us, Set will still roam this world. At least that is my humble opinion. If it does come down to that, who will it be? Shall we take wagers? ;)

Last edited: