• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Semantics

Cooky

Veteran Member
Like what?

Well, the sun. GOD's spirit (love)? Perhaps us..?

I would say the moon, but the moon is actually a chunk of our world blown off, which now conveniently mirrors the suns light for us at night. An honorable sacrifice.

Last edited by a moderator:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
yin-yang-negative-feminine-passive-intuitive-dark-night-cold-soft-25444507.png

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
OCD types. They tend to enjoy math better since 1+1=2 stays consistent over thousands of years. It feels more real to them thus safe. Although you wont see them writing poetry.
*grumble-grumble*... I'm go'in home .... { says the math guy who writes poetry }

Cooky

Veteran Member
You could be right that we can learn much from the darkness. We strive for hope often after failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
You could be right that we can learn much from the darkness.
Agreed, and building on this idea: Too much light... is ... too much. There needs to be a balance or a blend of some sort, don't you think? As an example: The account of the Mount Sinai event is interesting. God descended in a thick cloud, the darkness was a blessing. ;)

Exodus 19:21

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
To we humans, who survive and thrive by knowing how to control and manipulate our environment to our own advantage, the 'unknown' poses a dire threat, and causes deep fear. And so is often viewed as being 'evil'. (Evil, in most cases, being whatever we consider to be 'bad' to, and for, us.)

Giving dodgy meaning to words just to feel better about yourself then expecting the world to agree with you is evil?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Depends on the context. They can be synonymous.

In certain contexts, darkness is a metaphor for evil, ignorance, depression, etc. so has a wider range of application to negative states.

Don't you think that metaphor and other forms of figurative speech significantly enhance language?

Changing the meaning of words, no, it causes confusion

ChristineM

Premium Member
Dictionaries report common usage. The words just happen to be commonly used in ways that contradict when they are taken out of context. As long as the word communicates meaning in context it's not a problem.

General common use and use withing limited groups because it sound cool are not the same thing.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What if light is perception created by an evil deity, and darkness is a natural energy of God?

A digression from the OP, but this comment reminded me of a humorous piece that "light bulbs" are really "dark suckers" - they don't give off light but suck dark The Dark-Sucker Theory - Ultimate Camp Resource

Christianity has a focus of light.

It's not just Christianity but most religions.

What if the path to human morality is acting our lower, morbid, raunchy self?

That's called a "left handed path". Some Tibetan Buddhists practice Tantra. More here: Vamachara - Wikipedia And the story of Milarepa is about someone who acted badly, repented and took another path.

St. Augustine famously said 'Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

So to me it's a very tricky subject.

Bird123

What are the differences between "darkness" and "evil"?

Darkness is the absence of light.

Evil is a label generated by people through an Emotional response. What is that Emotional response? Hate.

People do make bad choices. They make these bad choices out of ignorance. On the other hand, bad choices are a part of the Learning system so don't expect those bad choices to disappear anytime soon.

One can choose not to Hate. Solve the Real Problem instead.

There is still yet a long way to go before one truly Understands. When that level is reached, there will no longer be a need for a physical body.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Indeed! Like aweful and intercourse. In the 1800's the term aweful meant full of awe. And intercourse meant a dialog or conversation. So if i said "i had an aweful intercourse last night with my friend" that meant something different than it does today!

So now we take morphogy of language that can change in a short duration extend that back 2,000 years, pass that up through 100 generations of interpretation (like passing through a whisper circle) . Whats the likelyhood of what was written 2,000 years early being remotely understood? Especially by most who arent even aware of what i just wrote? Zero.

What language versions exists now in precisely the form it did 2000 years ago? Even modern latin s substantially different from ancient latin.

And we are nit talking 1800s, we are talking 2000s

David T

Premium Member
How so? Using the example from the OP, Darkness is not paradoxical to evil.
Well true my comment was in regards to linguistics not in a sense in linguistics. So thats going to get translitetated for sure. Nothing i can do about that eccept play some music.

David T

Premium Member
What language versions exists now in precisely the form it did 2000 years ago? Even modern latin s substantially different from ancient latin.

And we are nit talking 1800s, we are talking 2000s
And thus words take on characteristics based on what exactly? . Are words is reality or structures we create about reality?

I will say on this site is reality dominates...
Thats normal. SmartDumb but normal. Kant called it trancendental illusuon..lacks self awareness.

ChristineM

Premium Member
And thus words take on characteristics based on what exactly? . Are words is reality or structures we create about reality?

I will say on this site is reality dominates...
Thats normal. Dumb but normal.

I am talking current dictionary definition and the confusion caused.
Not on etymology

David T

Premium Member
I am talking current dictionary definition and the confusion caused.
Not on etymology
Oh well there you go!!!! The god of words! I tossed that into the ocean. WHY? Because its irellevant..

Oh i take that back, the ocean parted and there it lay in all its power holding the waves back. Amazing!!!!

ChristineM

Premium Member
Oh well there you go!!!! The god of words! I tossed that into the ocean. WHY? Because its irellevant..

Oh i take that back, the ocean parted and there it lay in all its power holding the waves back. Amazing!!!!

Whatever makes you happy mr god of words.