• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self-Introduction and my Jain conversion experience

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
BTW, it is not that all Jain monks go naked. In the majority Shwetambara sect, they wear white clothes.

iu
iu

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
2. Choosing to die by fasting (Santhara, to escape karmas and their results).
From the Wikipedia page about that practice:

"For example, celibacy is one of the Five vows, and ritual death is considered better than being raped or seduced or if the mendicant community would be defamed. A ritual death under these circumstances by consuming poison is believed to be better and allows for an auspicious rebirth.[21]"

That's awful! What a terrible message to send rape victims. Looking at that page, there's lots to dislike about that practice.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That explanation was not given by a Jain. I also very much doubt the intent of the writer.
Some foolish Jain lay person may have spoken like this, and the author latched on to that.

Last edited:

dfnj

It's to keep from accidentally inhaling or swallowing bugs or other small creatures, as I recall.

I wonder if there are a sect of Jains that are no so restrictive. Like vegetarians go off from eating meat, "Yeah I stopped covering my mouth. I'm eating bugs again."

But seriously, the Jains are great. How can anyone criticize any religion which treats human beings they have never met as being sacred. It's beautiful man:

I hope someone can appreciate my sense of humor. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I wonder if there are a sect of Jains that are no so restrictive. Like vegetarians go off from eating meat, "Yeah I stopped covering my mouth. I'm eating bugs again."

But seriously, the Jains are great. How can anyone criticize any religion which treats human beings they have never met as being sacred. It's beautiful man:

I hope someone can appreciate my sense of humor. I apologize if I offended anyone.
Those strict rules are for ascetics who take vows of renunciation. There's "householder" Jains who live regular lives. They're still expected to be vegetarian, though.

I find there's always plenty to criticize any religion over. They all have their issues. Personally, I think Jainism is way too extreme and unrealistic, even if some of their ideals are laudable.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But seriously, the Jains are great.

The lay persons in Jainism are not required to cover their mouths, but the monks do. All Jains are supposed to be vegetarians (non-vegs cannot be termed as Jains, it is one of the cardinal principles of Jainism. Indians have no problem with milk and milk-products. It is always considered kosher). But there are many other restrictions even on vegetarian diet. Tomatoes, onions and garlic must not be used. Then the last meal should be eaten before sun-set (light after sun-set as per Jainism are not allowed as they attract insects). Lastly, no crumb of food should be left behind on the plate. My grandpa's Jain friend poured some water in the plate, cleaned it and drank all of it when once he came to our house for a meal.

Yes, Jains are great and unique, and they are among the richest business communities in India with 100% literacy. I do appreciate your sense of humor, no need for apologies.
I hope so.
Wanted to add: Philosophy in Indian religions (Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism) is never that shallow.

Last edited:

dfnj

The lay persons in Jainism are not required to cover their mouths, but the monks do. All Jains are supposed to be vegetarians (non-vegs cannot be termed as Jains, it is one of the cardinal principles of Jainism. Indians have no problem with milk and milk-products. It is always considered kosher). But there are many other restrictions even on vegetarian diet. Tomatoes, onions and garlic must not be used. Then the last meal should be eaten before sun-set (light after sun-set as per Jainism are not allowed as they attract insects). Lastly, no crumb of food should be left behind on the plate. My grandpa's Jain friend poured some water in the plate, cleaned it and drank all of it when once he came to our house for a meal.

Yes, Jains are great and unique, and they are among the richest business communities in India with 100% literacy. I do appreciate your sense of humor, no need for apologies.Wanted to add: Philosophy in Indian religions (Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism) is never that shallow.

I worked with a Sikh years ago in one of my jobs. He was one of the nicest people I've ever met. He had a really very light and friendly spirit. I haven't worked with any Jain's as far as I know.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sikhs are generally very lively people, Jains are centered around their work, if I could make a generalized statement. Hindus are sort of scatter-brained, they will have an opinion on all things under the sun. :D