• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self-Introduction and my Jain conversion experience

Jesse Muñoz

Hi All,

I suppose this is where I am supposed to post my first post, as I apparently can't post in the actual Jainism forum yet. I am an American-born man who was raised largely Christian, though with a dad who was heavily influenced by Buddhist thinking (which as a child I thought was totally evil, or foolish) but I have recently had a profound conversion experience to nontheistic religion and specifically am embracing Jainism as a way of life. I'm still learning and still working on actually practicing ahimsā through my diet choices-- it is extremely hard for me to become vegan where I live-- and I am sure some people would say that one does not "convert" to Jainism, but I have realized that in a sense I have always been a Jain. I was so appalled the first time I heard that Jains did not believe in a creator God and yet had a religion, but now it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

So fellow Jains, please let me know you are there! I still have much to learn and don't live anywhere close to a temple but I am seeking out as much as I can find through the internet.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hi All,

I suppose this is where I am supposed to post my first post, as I apparently can't post in the actual Jainism forum yet. I am an American-born man who was raised largely Christian, though with a dad who was heavily influenced by Buddhist thinking (which as a child I thought was totally evil, or foolish) but I have recently had a profound conversion experience to nontheistic religion and specifically am embracing Jainism as a way of life. I'm still learning and still working on actually practicing ahimsā through my diet choices-- it is extremely hard for me to become vegan where I live-- and I am sure some people would say that one does not "convert" to Jainism, but I have realized that in a sense I have always been a Jain. I was so appalled the first time I heard that Jains did not believe in a creator God and yet had a religion, but now it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

So fellow Jains, please let me know you are there! I still have much to learn and don't live anywhere close to a temple but I am seeking out as much as I can find through the internet.
Welcome to RF :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Welcome to RF, sit back and enjoy the fun, you can also partake in a petite gateaux or few before the staff canteen opens.

caption.jpg

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Hi Jesse, it's great to have you here. Your background sounds facinating. You may be the only Jain active on the forum, FYI, but Jainism comes up sometimes especially during discussions of Karma. I'm looking fwd to reading your posts and learning about your point of view.

Sincerely,

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!
Before filling up on fancy little cakes, have some real breakfast in the staff cafeteria.
(It's vegan haggis....made from vegetarian sheep.)
traditional-scottish-breakfast-in-a-bed-and-breakfast-with-haggis-picture-id1002270582

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Greetings!
Before filling up on fancy little cakes, have some real breakfast in the staff cafeteria.
(It's vegan haggis....made from vegetarian sheep.)
traditional-scottish-breakfast-in-a-bed-and-breakfast-with-haggis-picture-id1002270582

That looks very nice indeed.

But methinks you have your haggis and your black pudding pans mixed up...

Unless of course you burnt the haggis.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ah. in that case,

May I compliment your thoughtful culinary choices without offense? Consistently thoughtful culinary choices. Hmmmm, yes, It's hard to deny...
A Homer Simpsonesque gurgling noise would be best.

ClimbingTheLadder

Up and Down again
Hi All,

Welcome!

I like Jainism, it's especially fascinating in it's cosmology.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Wikipedia is a nice source. If you have more questions, perhaps I could help. Why I call Mahavira the Che Guewara of Religions is because he was a total rebel and absolutely true to what he professed. If it was non-violence, he would not take a next step without sweeping the ground to avoid hurting any insect. He would not even hurt the children who tried to push nails in his ear (as the story goes). If it was non-possession, he would not even wear clothes. If it was indeterminacy of views (Anekantavada/Syadavada/Nayavada, Vada means doctrine - Anekantavada - Wikipedia), he offered seven options:

Affirmation: syād-asti—in some ways, it is,
Denial: syān-nāsti—in some ways, it is not,
Joint but successive affirmation and denial: syād-asti-nāsti—in some ways, it is, and it is not,
Joint and simultaneous affirmation and denial: syād-asti-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is, and it is indescribable,
Joint and simultaneous affirmation and denial: syān-nāsti-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is not, and it is indescribable,
Joint and simultaneous affirmation and denial: syād-asti-nāsti-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is, it is not, and it is indescribable,
Joint and simultaneous affirmation and denial: syād-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is indescribable.

images

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Jain monks can beg for food only after lunch-time (when the families have had their food and may give what is left to monks), they can beg only once in a day, accept only that much that comes in their palms, cannot ask for a second helping. If the family had no food left-over food, the monk will go without food for that day. They do not shave or get hair cut but have to pull their hair out. That is to be oblivious of bodily pains and ills. They cannot use a vehicle for travel (for fear of killing insects), must only walk on foot. Very tough life. Of course, the rules are more lenient for lay people.

digambar_muni_ahara_-_muni_108_sri_namisagarji_20121019_1910736837.jpg

But there are a few things which I definitely do not like in Jainism (though I understand their point). 1. Initiation of children into monkhood, 2. Choosing to die by fasting (Santhara, to escape karmas and their results).

Becoming a monk is highly appreciated among Jains. And very prosperous, very well-educated people also will leave the comforts of life to become monks.